PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard arrested for DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that I don't believe has been mentioned here: don't you believe BB is pissed he wrote that letter to the judge in support of Dennard's character during his trial?

Probably. That doesn't mean that he should make a reactionary move and cut Dennard though. The kid made a boneheaded, idiotic mistake.

Something that I don't believe has been mentioned here: don't you believe BB is pissed he wrote that letter to the judge in support of Dennard's character during his trial?

Depends on whether BB thinks that a DUI charge for a young guy is a character issue, or rather, just bone headed stupidity.

If Dennard had been caught robbing a convenient store, it would be a much different story.

It is extremely stupid to drive while under influence. I hope that he is suspended for atleast 8 games if he was drunk.
I'm not sure either the team or the league would be allowed to come down on him quite so heavy handed.

Sorry, I can't agree with this. Driving while intoxicated is one of the most wreckless, destructive things a human being can do that doesn't involve malicious intent. It is a much more serious issue than you are making it out to be and Dennard - as well as all that dumbarse Bronco execs - should be thanking their lucky stars that legal and employment consequences are the worst things that happened.

Also, I seemly to vaguely remember from my crim law days that there is such a category of murder that involves behavior so reckless and dangerous, that just by partaking in it, criminal intent is inferred. Depraved heart, maybe? Ugh, can't remember.

Probably. That doesn't mean that he should make a reactionary move and cut Dennard though. The kid made a boneheaded, idiotic mistake.
Actually he made 2 boneheaded, idiotic mistakes (that we know of). And even if the Patriots decide not to cut him, they don't know if his services will be available to them in the immediate future.

I'd be surprised if the Hernandez incident has not changed the way they do things in Foxboro. That said, the longer we go the less the chance he will be released. Evidently, there is no zero tolerance policy in place at the moment.

It took Hernandez about a week to be released. If the team makes a mistake and releases Dennard sometime within the next week or so instead of today like the "BURN HIM!" crowd wants, it's because they did their due diligence about the situation, collected all the facts, and made a decision from there. Just because he isn't out as of right now doesn't mean that a zero tolerance policy isn't either already in place, or being put into place.

For a football perspective on Dennard's situation:

Releasing Dennard Could Prove Costly For Patriots | NEPatriotsDraft.com

Make no mistake about it: despite being drafted in the seventh round of the 2012 NFL Draft, Dennard is a valuable member of the Patriots, having started nine games last season (including two in the playoffs) and providing New England with a reliable option at right cornerback. His play on the boundary, which included limiting opposing targets to just 36/72 receiving for 516 yards, stabilized the position and allowed Kyle Arrington to slide inside to the slot, where he was much more effective. Therefore, by opting to release him, the Patriots would indicate that they are willing to venture into the unknown by shifting a sizable portion of playing time (Dennard was on the field for 751 snaps in 2012) to one of their reserves.

Fortunately, New England should be able to make a substantially more informed decision should Kraft refrain from immediately intervening in an effort to protect the Patriots brand; unfortunately, it’s because at this point, a suspension is possible for Dennard, given that this is his second encounter with police. Even should Dennard ultimately find himself exonerated, his situation may very well draw the interest of the league office, which has never been shy about handing down punishments for legal issues under commissioner Roger Goodell, meaning that head coach Bill Belichick should begin to proactively implement some contingency plans.

At this point, New England would have three realistic options given their current personnel at cornerback: move Arrington back outside, where four of the five touchdowns he allowed in 2012 were surrendered, hope that 2011 second-round pick Ras-I Dowling can stay healthy throughout an entire season, or try their luck with rookie third-round pick Logan Ryan, a two-year starter at Rutgers who opted to forego his senior season in order to declare for the draft. Thus, depth and talent remain at the position even without Dennard, but the potential certainly exists for the team’s pass defense to suffer in his absence, as the three aforementioned candidates have yet to prove their reliability.​

The columnist (Matthew Jones) goes on to speculate that the Pats could also move McCourty back to corner and employ more three-safety lineups. I don't like that for a few reasons. First, McCourty is a better safety than a cornerback. Second, that weakens the defense at not one, but two positions. Third, if the team's corners can't cover opposing receivers, then why should we expect a slower safety to perform better in that regard?

Right now the Pats need to put a 24-hour chaperone on Talib and surround Dowling with bubble wrap.

Hernandez was arrested for DUI as well....

for being a Dumb,Unbelievable Idiot

Not alcohol, no. Expand the question and the answer might change.

I'm unsure what this has to do with Dennard's situation, though.

I just think its is something many of us are guilty of doing, fortunately I've never been caught but when I was 23 years old I drove home from bars pretty regularly. I also got in my fair share of scuffles and if someone had ran up on me in the midst of one in street clothes, without showing a badge I most likely would of took a swing at him.

His situation is that he is a 23 year old guy who makes stupid decisions when he is drinking. I'm not surprised by that and I wouldn't overreact to that. I think cutting him would be an overreaction.

If not for Hernandez's situation would you want to cut him? Because its irrelevant in my eyes, the world is not going to stop because one player was accused of murder. Dennard wasn't the only NFL player to get in a car drinking last night I guarantee you that, he may of been the only one that got caught.

Not alcohol, no. Expand the question and the answer might change.

I'm unsure what this has to do with Dennard's situation, though.

I guess I ask the question because it seems that you're holding Dennard to a higher standard than you would even yourself. Basing it on the fact that he shared a locker room with Hernandez for one season, likely having minimal interaction.

Actually he made 2 boneheaded, idiotic mistakes (that we know of). And even if the Patriots decide not to cut him, they don't know if his services will be available to them in the immediate future.

1) I don't think the team releases Dennard since the team is already weak or unproven in the secondary outside of Talib at CB and Mccourty at S - DUIs are avoidable and stupid but not a big reason to cut a talent on his FIRST violation as a pro.

2) I think we will surely see Goodell lay down the hammer on Dennard with a 4 game suspension...could be 6 but its a DUI,not something that caused another pain or suffering and didn't involve a weapon.

One of those moves was in college, before he even joined the Patriots, and sounds like a kid that had too much to drink being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

1) I don't think the team releases Dennard since the team is already weak or unproven in the secondary outside of Talib at CB and Mccourty at S - DUIs are avoidable and stupid but not a big reason to cut a talent on his FIRST violation as a pro.

2) I think we will surely see Goodell lay down the hammer on Dennard with a 4 game suspension...could be 6 but its a DUI,not something that caused another pain or suffering and didn't involve a weapon.

Have any other players received a 4 game suspension based in a first offense DUI, especially when it's been their "first offense" in the NFL ?

A DUI falls under the substance abuse policy not the personal conduct policy.

"DUIs don't fall under the personal-conduct policy. Drunk driving gets processed under the substance-abuse policy. And the substance-abuse policy provides that, ordinarily, a player will only be fined for a first-offense DUI."
-- Mike Florio, ProFootballTalk.com

I just think its is something many of us are guilty of doing, fortunately I've never been caught but when I was 23 years old I drove home from bars pretty regularly. I also got in my fair share of scuffles and if someone had ran up on me in the midst of one in street clothes, without showing a badge I most likely would of took a swing at him.

His situation is that he is a 23 year old guy who makes stupid decisions when he is drinking. I'm not surprised by that and I wouldn't overreact to that. I think cutting him would be an overreaction.

If not for Hernandez's situation would you want to cut him? Because its irrelevant in my eyes, the world is not going to stop because one player was accused of murder. Dennard wasn't the only NFL player to get in a car drinking last night I guarantee you that, he may of been the only one that got caught.

I'm not willing to play the "everyone else does it" game when it comes to driving drunk. This isn't spygate, it is something that could easily have cost someone their life.

A lot of Pats fans come from a generation where getting pulled over drunk was not a big deal, and I think there is some lingering sentiment there. "Aw, I did that when I was 23, too. It ain't that bad." I just can't agree with this line of thinking. FWIW, I consider using cell phones - particularly if texting - to be just as reckless.

Lastly, I've said this a few times already, but I disagree that Dennard's arrest should be looked at in isolation. The fact that he would do this when the Patriots were in the midst of the biggest black eye in franchise history indicates an elevated level of carelessness and stupidity. Even more so when you consider that he was on probation and in that same town where he knew he was a marked man.

I have little doubt that he had be spoken to on several occasions since his sentencing about avoiding precisely this type of situation. He couldn't even make it to the next training camp without screwing up. I don't want to root for that kind of kid.

Assuming that the cop isn't just harassing him, of course.

It took Hernandez about a week to be released. If the team makes a mistake and releases Dennard sometime within the next week or so instead of today like the "BURN HIM!" crowd wants, it's because they did their due diligence about the situation, collected all the facts, and made a decision from there. Just because he isn't out as of right now doesn't mean that a zero tolerance policy isn't either already in place, or being put into place.

Hernandez was released within 2 hours of his arrest.

I'm not willing to play the "everyone else does it" game when it comes to driving drunk. This isn't spygate, it is something that could easily have cost someone their life.

A lot of Pats fans come from a generation where getting pulled over drunk was not a big deal, and I think there is some lingering sentiment there. "Aw, I did that when I was 23, too. It ain't that bad." I just can't agree with this line of thinking. FWIW, I consider using cell phones - particularly if texting - to be just as reckless.

Lastly, I've said this a few times already, but I disagree that Dennard's arrest should be looked at in isolation. The fact that he would do this when the Patriots were in the midst of the biggest black eye in franchise history indicates an elevated level of carelessness and stupidity. Even more so when you consider that he was on probation and in that same town where he knew he was a marked man.

I have little doubt that he had be spoken to on several occasions since his sentencing about avoiding precisely this type of situation. He couldn't even make it to the next training camp without screwing up. I don't want to root for that kind of kid.

I agree it is dangerous. I also agree that he screwed up.

If we eliminate all players who have been arrested, exhibited any sign of character issue this franchise is unlikely to be competitive in this NFL. It's just the way it is. These people are not all good guys. And if they're not playing here than they will be playing someplace else.

And again, there's all sorts of things that people do behind the wheel of a car that are dangerous and could easily cost someone their life.

Simple question, while driving in excess of 40 mph, have you EVER taken your eyes off the road for 2 seconds or more to look at/for something in your car ??

And again, there's all sorts of things that people do behind the wheel of a car that are dangerous and could easily cost someone their life.

Simple question, while driving in excess of 40 mph, have you EVER taken your eyes off the road for 2 seconds or more to look at/for something in your car ??

Read what I wrote above for all the answers you seek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back