PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deflating deflategate --[Mod Edit] AEI Opinion Piece in NY Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but the science isn't that hard. I haven't taken a science class in twenty years and I was able to tear apart Exponent's report myself coming up with the points that AEI, Drew Fustin, and others came up with. I was even able to calculate the expected PSI levels myself the day after the AFC Championship game by simply googling the IGL formula. I'm not bragging, it just isn't very hard. You don't need MIT math PHDs to solve or peer review an algebra problem. That's why this is so maddening. This whole witch hunt would have played very well in the movie Idiocracy. Maybe they can make a sequel with Goodell as the President and Wells as VP.
I agree, its not doctorate level math, Bedard can't figure it out or ask someone he trusts with some math skills to figure it out, maybe Bedard's not as smart as I thought he was.

Right after the Wells Report, I had a conversation about deflateGate with a good friend who is a Steelers fan. In 5 minutes, I turned his position around completely just by asking him a question: do you believe a HOF QB like Brady whould risk his reputation and legacy by entering into a plot with two low ranking employees, one of whom he had never been formerly introduced, to deflate the balls by an undiscernible 4% of the ball's total pressure? My friend quickly concluded that Brady was not that stupid or desperate.

Leaving out for a minute if this were to be decided by a court, it would be thrown out before calculating anything because they didn't record the pre-game readings, they didn't confirm which gauge they used, they didn't record the timing of the half time readings and other pieces of missing information.

No, it almost certainly would not thrown out because of those things.

Dealing with uncertainties, unwritten things, contradictory testimoney, etc. are what courts do all the time.

For example, with respect to pre-game readings, the NFL would put Anderson on the stand and he would testify under oath that the readings were what he told Wells they they were. The Brady or NE lawyers would hit him with questions to try to show that his memory was faulty, or the nature of the process was such that it wasn't reasonable for him to be able to remember, etc., etc.

Then it would be up to the finder of fact (judge in a bench trial, jury in a jury trial) to decide for itself how much credibility to assign to what Anderson said. If they believe him it matters not a whit that he didn't write down pre-game readings.

And similar things would happen for all the contested things you mentioned.

Right after the Wells Report, I had a conversation about deflateGate with a good friend who is a Steelers fan. In 5 minutes, I turned his position around completely just by asking him a question: do you believe a HOF QB like Brady whould risk his reputation and legacy by entering into a plot with two low ranking employees, one of whom he had never been formerly introduced, to deflate the balls by an undiscernible 4% of the ball's total pressure? My friend quickly concluded that Brady was not that stupid or desperate.

I used the very same redirect and the response was, "tons of great QBs did it and Brady is no different.".

My response: "...which proves that the NFL didn't give a crap about freaking balls and decided to put the bulls-eye on the back of the Pats just because. Once they found out they didn't do anything, it was too late and they need to save face".

No, it almost certainly would not thrown out because of those things.

Dealing with uncertainties, unwritten things, contradictory testimoney, etc. are what courts do all the time.

For example, with respect to pre-game readings, the NFL would put Anderson on the stand and he would testify under oath that the readings were what he told Wells they they were. The Brady or NE lawyers would hit him with questions to try to show that his memory was faulty, or the nature of the process was such that it wasn't reasonable for him to be able to remember, etc., etc.

Then it would be up to the finder of fact (judge in a bench trial, jury in a jury trial) to decide for itself how much credibility to assign to what Anderson said. If they believe him it matters not a whit that he didn't write down pre-game readings.

And similar things would happen for all the contested things you mentioned.

Actually, Anderson testified to Wells (the judge) that he used the logo gauge and was over-ruled by the court. First time I ever heard of a judge changing a witness testimony.

EDIT: corrected the switched name. Hat tip: AJ

Last edited:
Actually, Wells testified that he used the logo gauge and was over-ruled by the court. First time I ever heard of a judge changing a witness testimony.

You should edit Wells to Anderson because you have a great point, but that mistake makes it confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots