PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense will not be historic like I thought, but close

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if we had an offense that wasn't hobbled this year, the defense would've been historic on all fronts. They have played a wild number of snaps. Offenses that were pretty good had so many chances to make something happen this season, while the defense presumably for more and more tired.

Would love to see their snap count as a defense compared to league avg and those other historic teams.

That being said, this might be one of the most complete defenses I've ever seen. Running was it's weakness, but still not bad. Everything else was stellar. The secondary was a brick wall. Maybe not as many takeaways as Tampa in 02 but still.

I think if we had an offense that wasn't hobbled this year, the defense would've been historic on all fronts. They have played a wild number of snaps. Offenses that were pretty good had so many chances to make something happen this season, while the defense presumably for more and more tired.

Would love to see their snap count as a defense compared to league avg and those other historic teams.

That being said, this might be one of the most complete defenses I've ever seen. Running was it's weakness, but still not bad. Everything else was stellar. The secondary was a brick wall. Maybe not as many takeaways as Tampa in 02 but still.

good post. However I wouldn’t call the 2000 ravens a dynamo either. Its nice to be mentioned in that circle of greatness though.

But your right, if this offense was up to last years standard it probably would of been shattered due to less time on the field.

Patriots ran 158 more plays than opponents. Defense had #1 starting field position #1 plays per drive yards per drive time of poss per drive and points per drive.

good post. However I wouldn’t call the 2000 ravens a dynamo either. Its nice to be mentioned in that circle of greatness though.

But your right, if this offense was up to last years standard it probably would of been shattered due to less time on the field.

You mean the 2000 Ravens offense, right?

How many point did the offense directly give away to the other team? Water under the bridge

If the offense continues its improvement on this week and the D stays healthy (need Jones back) I like our chances in the playoffs.

16 TD's allowed in 15 games is a historic number especially in a passing friendly era.....

I think given this is a passing era when we finish the deal with another SB win we can make our case for best D of all time. I can live with top five but need to finish right to get there.

Jason McCourty has been out for a month with a groin injury and still not healed. If Jonathan Jones has a similar injury, the playoff defense will take a big hit personal-wise. No word yet on severity for Jones but something to watch.

Jason McCourty has been out for a month with a groin injury and still not healed. If Jonathan Jones has a similar injury, the playoff defense will take a big hit personal-wise. No word yet on severity for Jones but something to watch.

It was a groin injury that hit Amendola his first year here, correct?

I just want them to be good enough to help the offense in the playoffs. The O will need it.

The 2015 Broncos gave up way more points and they are considered historic...

This defense has exceeded my expectations. I predicted this would be the best D since 2003 and they blew that out of the water. A lot of people here slept on this secondary and I’ll remember the comical prediction from posters of trading Jonathan Jones.

The 2015 Broncos gave up way more points and they are considered historic...

Two reasons:
  1. Broncos had a ferocious pass rush, and sacks are more exciting than pass coverage. It's also why non-Patriots fans are calling Gilmore not the DPOY after that John Brown TD (despite being Gilmore's first TD allowed all year).
  2. Patriots also got dumpstered by Lamar Jackson on national television, who will also be the MVP at the end of the season. People will remember that more than the other QBs we've shut down.
Basically, NFL fans are not very smart and are obviously biased when it comes to the Patriots.

16 TD's allowed in 15 games is a historic number especially in a passing friendly era.....

It is always difficult to compare 1985 team to a 2019 team, the game has changed in so many ways..

I enjoy this defense, particularly as BB has focused on the secondary as much as he has.. this is by far the best that I have seen. The coaching, depth and quality is the best that I can remember.

Remember the days when BB would keep the Offense on the field, instead of bringing in a mediocre Defense who had difficulty shutting a team down..

Two reasons:
  1. Broncos had a ferocious pass rush, and sacks are more exciting than pass coverage. It's also why non-Patriots fans are calling Gilmore not the DPOY after that John Brown TD (despite being Gilmore's first TD allowed all year).
  2. Patriots also got dumpstered by Lamar Jackson on national television, who will also be the MVP at the end of the season. People will remember that more than the other QBs we've shut down.
Basically, NFL fans are not very smart and are obviously biased when it comes to the Patriots.

If the Pat's end up winning the SB and beating KC and Baltimore, the defense will be considered elite

A lot of season left to determine if it is historic or not. They lead the league in yards and points allowed and if they carry that over to the playoffs and had a similar Super Bowl as last year they would have a seat at the table.

It is always difficult to compare 1985 team to a 2019 team, the game has changed in so many ways..

I enjoy this defense, particularly as BB has focused on the secondary as much as he has.. this is by far the best that I have seen. The coaching, depth and quality is the best that I can remember.

Remember the days when BB would keep the Offense on the field, instead of bringing in a mediocre Defense who had difficulty shutting a team down..

Yep, in those days Peyton Manning was unstoppable....and it had a lot to do with our personnel or lack thereof. I remember b!tching about the cushions our DB's would have to give the receivers... so painful to watch.

And yep...'85 vs. '19 is like apples and oranges.... the Bears player a killer 4-6 D that would never work in today's NFL.

Additionally, I am concerned about our run D going up against the Ravens' offense. We were built to stop the Chiefs' passing attack...but playing Baltimore basically renders Gilmore useless unless he is tackling an outside zone run near the sideline.... I am hoping BB has some ideas as to how to slow down that offense should we revisit MT&T Bank Stadium. I'd love to see the Titans or the Bills get first crack at the Ravens on divisional weekend as I don't think KC and Houston's defenses have the personnel to slow down that rushing attack....although the Chiefs can score a lot and get ahead. I wish Cleveland held onto their 6-0 start yesterday as I wanted to see the Ravens play from behind.....oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe