PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DE Mark Anderson released by Bills

I am interested in seeing how much Jermaine Cunningham has bulked up so that he plays more inside than out.

I recall someone reporting that he added weight this off-season to play more defensive tackle.

Can someone confirm that he was reported to have put on more weight since last off-season?

No, because it likely hasn't happened. I don't see him at DT, it was out of desperation he played there last year and he wasn't good enough to make the move permanent. He is facing an uphill battle to be on the roster IMO.

Nah, you are giving extra weighting to the end of the year. Prior to the suspension he was an integral part of the interior rush and was playing pretty well. Not great or anything, but much better than JAG levels.

How much of his absence afterward is due to non-PED drop in performance, punishment from Bill or some other reason will just have to be left for debate, at least until his roster status this year is settled.

Sorry, Os, but we'll have to disagree on this one. Besides, I don't think calling him an integral part of one of the most pathetic areas on the team in 2012 is a very good compliment of his play. The interior pass rush was abysmal last season, and the team made major, major moves in free agency in order to address it. Now, Cunningham wasn't a natural fit there and played there out of urgency. So one could open up a debate about whether or not he would have been a better fit at DE, his natural position. But I haven't seen any evidence in the pro's to suggest that things would have changed for him. Hell, I wasn't even that impressed with him coming out of college, and he played for my team. My predicition is that he'll be cut by the end of TC. I don't think anybody can really say that I'm going out on a limb with that one.

No, because it likely hasn't happened. I don't see him at DT, it was out of desperation he played there last year and he wasn't good enough to make the move permanent. He is facing an uphill battle to be on the roster IMO.

He may have, but I agree with your general sentiment. Jermaine isn't a great rushing DE and the team clearly wanted to fill in the UT gap with legitimate DT sized bodies. He'll need to elevate some part of his game along with disappointment/injury somewhere else to get onto the roster.

Sorry, Os, but we'll have to disagree on this one. Besides, I don't think calling him an integral part of one of the most pathetic areas on the team in 2012 is a very good compliment of his play. The interior pass rush was abysmal last season, and the team made major, major moves in free agency in order to address it. Now, Cunningham wasn't a natural fit there and played there out of urgency. So one could open up a debate about whether or not he would have been a better fit at DE, his natural position. But I haven't seen any evidence in the pro's to suggest that things would have changed for him. Hell, I wasn't even that impressed with him coming out of college, and he played for my team. My predicition is that he'll be cut by the end of TC. I don't think anybody can really say that I'm going out on a limb with that one.

I don't object to your main point (see my posts above that aren't directly to you), I just think you are riding the hyperbole train a little hard. :cool:

I would definitely want to sign Anderson and/or Abraham. Folks speak of Cunningham, Francis, Bequette and Buchanan like they are all-pros. They will all gets lots of camp reps. For me, there is lots of room for upgrade at DE, more than any other roster spot. except, perhaps wide receiver.

To me the comparison is simple: Cunningham's very best, based on what we've seen, is nowhere near Anderson's best.

Anderson did frequently get bull-dozed trying hold the corner, but he wasn't brought here for that. Turning him loose on the QB created appreciable pressure beyond Anderson's 11 sacks.

Turning Cunningham loose most often led to me turning to my football buddies and asking, "When was the last time you saw Cunningham make a play?"

Buffalo's defense stunk last year most of the time -minus Anderson (he only played 3+ games). You'd think they might be interested in getting at least a dime on their dollar and try him out in camp. How could he make their defense worse? Strange move unless it was injury related despite the fact Anderson passed his physical.

BTW - I am not Mike Rodak ;}

Not interested in signing him, it takes playing time away from Bequette, Buchanon and Cunningham. Those guys need to step up and show what they have.

If they're good then they will beat him out. We need the best players out there we can get. Margin of error for winning a championship is very small.

Ok, you went to a terrible team, got overpaid, and sucked. No problem, we welcome you back Mark on the cheap!

10 sacks in 2011 with us, registered a sack in the superbowl. Bring him into camp and throw him in the mix.

I wouldn't bring in Anderson right we have all these players that are younger, most substantially that have shown pass rushing capabilities at some level either college, Canada or the NFL.

Buchanan age 22
Armstead age 22
Jones age 23
Hightower age 23
Collins age 23
Bequette age 24
Francis age 24
Cunningham age 25
Vega age 26
Benard age 27
Ninkovich age 29

I'd consider detracting their development for maybe a veteran like Abraham but not Mark Anderson.

If we were in need of that type of player I think I'd rather see Trevor Scott back.

I wouldn't bring in Anderson right we have all these players that are younger, most substantially that have shown pass rushing capabilities at some level either college, Canada or the NFL.

Buchanan age 22
Armstead age 22
Jones age 23
Hightower age 23
Collins age 23
Bequette age 24
Francis age 24
Cunningham age 25
Vega age 26
Benard age 27
Ninkovich age 29

I'd consider detracting their development for maybe a veteran like Abraham but not Mark Anderson.

If we were in need of that type of player I think I'd rather see Trevor Scott back.

Not sure I'd go that far. Anderson has proven more than everyone on this list at the NFL level, with the possible exception of Jones and Ninkovich.

I'm all for letting the kids play, but you're stretching the point, IMO. Would you really take Bequette over Anderson with nothing to go on but what we have seen on the field to date? Assuming good health for Mark, that would be one of the easiest decisions I've ever made.

EDIT: Of course, NE could have more information on both that leads them to believe Jake is a preferable option, but solely based on what we have access to, Mark wins the H2H over at least 6 of those guys.

To me the comparison is simple: Cunningham's very best, based on what we've seen, is nowhere near Anderson's best.

Anderson did frequently get bull-dozed trying hold the corner, but he wasn't brought here for that. Turning him loose on the QB created appreciable pressure beyond Anderson's 11 sacks.

Turning Cunningham loose most often led to me turning to my football buddies and asking, "When was the last time you saw Cunningham make a play?"

Buffalo's defense stunk last year most of the time -minus Anderson (he only played 3+ games). You'd think they might be interested in getting at least a dime on their dollar and try him out in camp. How could he make their defense worse? Strange move unless it was injury related despite the fact Anderson passed his physical.

BTW - I am not Mike Rodak ;}

Aside from the fact that Cunningham and Anderson are 2 completely different players, you've forgotten that Cunningham's value to this team is as a pass rushing DT in our sub packages, this is a role that Anderson could never perform. It's also note worthy that there is nearly a 6 year age difference.

If Mark Anderson came in he would impact a player like Buchanan the most and I think that would be a negative because Buchanan has a much higher ceiling in my opinion.

Not sure I'd go that far. Anderson has proven more than everyone on this list at the NFL level, with the possible exception of Jones and Ninkovich.

I'm all for letting the kids play, but you're stretching the point, IMO. Would you really take Bequette over Anderson with nothing to go on but what we have seen on the field to date? Assuming good health for Mark, that would be one of the easiest decisions I've ever made.

EDIT: Of course, NE could have more information on both that leads them to believe Jake is a preferable option, but solely based on what we have access to, Mark wins the H2H over at least 6 of those guys.

I look at like this, I've had ex-girlfriends that have proven capable of doing plenty, but if I'm in a room with four other girls who potentially could be more capable and my ex-girlfriend walks into the room I'm not going to run over to her.

Maybe that's a stupid caveman thought but that is what comes to mind :)

Notably, the cut doesn't save the Billls any cap money, meaning this is likely either about injury and/or scheme fit. If it's just scheme, the Patriots should take a serious look at Anderson. He's no great shakes, but he'd still be the team's second best pass rusher, almost by default. Cunningham sucks and Bequette hasn't shown a damn thing, so it's not as if it would be difficult to find a player from the 53 who could be swapped out.

I didn't mean to ignore your question in my last post, my apologies.

I cannot tell who I would pick, I can tell you I wouldn't sign him right now though. It maybe camp but there are only so many reps to go around just the same, so if Anderson is here he's taking away from a youngster.

I also don't think Anderson is the same player he was in 2011. Players like him aren't the type that you just check to see if he has something left in the tank, he has to have a full tank to be successful. He relied on his speed, not strength, not technique he put his hand down and tried to beat the tackle, almost 3 years older and 2 knee injuries later I don't see it.

I didn't mean to ignore your question in my last post, my apologies.

I cannot tell who I would pick, I can tell you I wouldn't sign him right now though. It maybe camp but there are only so many reps to go around just the same, so if Anderson is here he's taking away from a youngster.

I also don't think Anderson is the same player he was in 2011. Players like him aren't the type that you just check to see if he has something left in the tank, he has to have a full tank to be successful. He relied on his speed, not strength, not technique he put his hand down and tried to beat the tackle, almost 3 years older and 2 knee injuries later I don't see it.

That is a fair point, which is why I've tempered my posts with the standard "assuming good health" disclaimer. ;)

I would definitely want to sign Anderson and/or Abraham. Folks speak of Cunningham, Francis, Bequette and Buchanan like they are all-pros. They will all gets lots of camp reps. For me, there is lots of room for upgrade at DE, more than any other roster spot. except, perhaps wide receiver.
I'd prefer Abraham (assuming the demands aren't ridiculous).

not sure pats will look at him...maybe

I don't think that we're getting Anderson for no guaranteed money. However, that matters little. He's worth taking a shot at $1.5M, about the same as last time. And then he can get $8M from someone else next year again.

If his release is not injury related and numbers work out right for BB & Pats, he definitely is worth lookin into. He knows D system already and a pass rusher that we can always need.

That is a fair point, which is why I've tempered my posts with the standard "assuming good health" disclaimer. ;)

I saw that; however Anderson could be in good health with out any ongoing injury issues, but that doesn't mean the prior injuries and his increased age haven't diminished his skill set.

The point I'm trying to make is a guy like Anderson who's a one dimensional speed rusher realistically only has a NFL career for as long as his 4.62 forty holds up. I think there is a very good possibility that he lost a step, but losing a step isn't indicative of poor health. I just think he isn't the type of player like Abraham who can has other attributes that would keep him productive so even a 0.05 increase in his speed would significantly reduce his impact.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back