PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DE Cameron Heyward may be unable to work out for 3 months -- elbow surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't have been surprised to see him fall out of the first anyway.

Maybe a Tate thing get him in the mid rounds and redshirt????

I've heard conflicting opinions on the "consistent effort" thing and also what his weight potential is. Depending on the answers to those questions he's someone I like a lot and would be thrilled to get him at 2a if the Patriots feel good about those two issues. Remember Seymour had effort questions at Georgia when he came out.

So, for Heyward, he'll have to have a really good pro-day and show people that the elbow injury hasn't affected his arm strength..

I could see the Pats using #28 or #33 on him if they feel like he's a fit. They could PUP him and use his return late in the season to boost the D-line if that is where they plan on using him.

I've heard conflicting opinions on the "consistent effort" thing and also what his weight potential is. Depending on the answers to those questions he's someone I like a lot and would be thrilled to get him at 2a if the Patriots feel good about those two issues. Remember Seymour had effort questions at Georgia when he came out.

It's interesting that Heyward's split stats are higher across the board for more challenging opponents (AP Ranked, teams with winning records, BCS AQ, etc.) than for lesser ones. The knee-jerk conclusion is that Heyward "takes games off" against lesser opponents when he should be racking up outrageous stats. An alternative explanation, such as that he may merely have been playing conservative assignments in those games, never gets any traction.

I think that Heyward may be at the top of our board as we enter the 2nd round.

I don't put much stock into reports that a DL takes plays off. With an NFL conditioning program and Pepper and Big Vince screaming at him, I think he'll put in a solid effort and you can't ignore his physical gifts.

I think that Heyward may be at the top of our board as we enter the 2nd round.

Could be but a lot will depend on who we take in round #1 and how the draft board falls out.

There could be huge demand for the #33 pick and BB will have a whole night to try and turn it into gold.

Belichick doesn't need all night. He is the very best in the league at maximizing draft vlaue. He''l do that at 17, at 28, at 33, at 60 and with the rest.

.There could be huge demand for the #33 pick and BB will have a whole night to try and turn it into gold.

Heyward update...

Senior Bowl Buzz- Monday

We spoke at length with the agents for Cameron Heyward this evening and they were quite forthright with us. Heyward suffered a hyper-extended elbow during the first half of the Sugar Bowl earlier this month yet continued to play with the injury throughout the entire contest. Heyward’s surgery was performed by Dr James Andrews last week. The recovery process means Heyward is unable to take part in any football related activities for 10-to-12 weeks. He is expected to go to the combine and hopes to compete in some of the drills, except the bench press. The expectations are Heyward will complete a full pro-day workout, minus the bench press, during the Ohio State event in mid-March.
We don't know if he's a Pats option or not, but either way, his health staus will affect how round one plays out.

I don't put much stock into reports that a DL takes plays off. With an NFL conditioning program and Pepper and Big Vince screaming at him, I think he'll put in a solid effort and you can't ignore his physical gifts.

Agreed. The effort question won't matter much with those two on his case.

It'd be nice if he slipped into the second round for us.

Last edited:

My guess is that BB might be in a much better position than we are to discern whether the effort thing is true or not. If he goes for Heyward, I'd guess it wasn't a big concern. However, if BB doesn't go for Heyward, it wouldn't necessarily mean that it was a concern.

Re: Heyward update...

Senior Bowl Buzz- Monday

We don't know if he's a Pats option or not, but either way, his health staus will affect how round one plays out.

>>>>
Heyward suffered a hyper-extended elbow during the first half of the Sugar Bowl earlier this month yet continued to play with the injury throughout the entire contest.>>
Anybody who watched that game saw a man playing against boys for the entire game. It's even more impressive if he did it on a hyper extended elbow....

Re: Heyward update...

>>>>
Heyward suffered a hyper-extended elbow during the first half of the Sugar Bowl earlier this month yet continued to play with the injury throughout the entire contest.>>
Anybody who watched that game saw a man playing against boys for the entire game. It's even more impressive if he did it on a hyper extended elbow....

So, yeah, about those "effort" questions ..........

He is the very best in the league at maximizing draft vlaue.

Actually, BB "loses" a significant fraction of the pick trades he makes.

His wins are big, however, which is what makes the overall approach a success.

I don't see why the injury should affect his draft status all that much.

It's common to make a full recovery from Tommy John surgery. So the risk can be judged, and he'll be drafted by a team that's optimistic about the risk.

Of course, he'll also lose a little value if he's going to miss some first year OTAs -- which will only be case if the labor situation resolves so that there are OTAs to miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down