PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DB's at Combine

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/in...OKEN=85267849&jsessionid=8830eb77556656204244
The top 10 times in seconds for defensive backs in the 60-yard shuttle, according to NFL.com:

1. Craig Dahl, NDSU 11.03.

2. Michael Coe, Alabama State 11.17.

3. Fred Bennett, South Carolina 11.22.

4. Josh Gattis, Wake Forest 11.24.

5. John Wendling, Wyoming 11.26.

6. Michael Griffin, Texas 11.27.

7. Sabby Piscitelli, Oregon 11.42.

8. Marcus McCauley, Fresno State 11.50.

9. Daren Stone, Maine 11.54.

10. Duane Coleman, Clemson 11.56.
That's four 215+ Safeties putting up those numbers. As far as I can tell, the shuttles demonstrate a player's ability to accelerate from a stop, knee bend to get down and touch the ground, and explosiveness coming back out of the knee bend...anyone else got any thoughts on a shuttle's value?

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/in...OKEN=85267849&jsessionid=8830eb77556656204244That's four 215+ Safeties putting up those numbers. As far as I can tell, the shuttles demonstrate a player's ability to accelerate from a stop, knee bend to get down and touch the ground, and explosiveness coming back out of the knee bend...anyone else got any thoughts on a shuttle's value?

No, and it's not for a lack of thinking about it. It seems the guys with good 20 shuttle and cone times tend not to do well in the 60 shuttle. And vice versa. I've been minimalizing the importance of the 60 shuttle in recent years.

By the way, a guy on that list I really like is Coe.

No, and it's not for a lack of thinking about it. It seems the guys with good 20 shuttle and cone times tend not to do well in the 60 shuttle. And vice versa. I've been minimalizing the importance of the 60 shuttle in recent years.

Coe caught my eye too...as for your other point, both Wendling (4.16 6.96) and Piscitelli (3.90 6.84) had pretty good ss and 3-c times. For that matter Dahl did well too (4.26 6.69). The dirty birds are obviously trying to upset your bell curve!

Interesting comparision:

.........................Hei.....Wei......40......225... Vert ... 20S... 60S... B-Jump... 3Cone
Piscitelli, Sabby.. 6 2.... 224 ... 4.47... 19.... NA ...... 3.9..... 11.42 ...1002... 6.84
Hall, Leon.. ....... 5 11... 193 ... 4.39... 15.... 37.5 ... 4.07... 11.62... 1005... 6.5

They both have very similar number yet we can assume by the results that Hall has slightly better top end speed and a better change of direction meaning he's more fluid in the hips but Sabby has better acceleration from start to stop and back to up to speed. So Hall is better suited for CB and Sabby for S. Sabby's numbers stack up well vs one of the higher rated CBs in the draft so you can see why the Pats have interest in him.

At least in this comparision the 20/60 shuttles seem to match when comparing the players.

It's too bad Landry didn't run the shuttles I'd love to compare his numbers to these.

Totally agree on both counts. I have no idea what to make of long-shuttle times. And Coe is a CB I'd definitely look at around the 4th round -- solid if unspectacular measurables, good footwork and handwork, son of a coach which is always a big plus in my Pats analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes