PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 8 Patriots Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we could talk about training camp instead of Bill Parcells.
I don’t get it either. 8 days into training camp and I’ve had to go to other sources each day to get news on players as these threads quickly get hijacked.

I don’t get it either. 8 days into training camp and I’ve had to go to other sources each day to get news on players as these threads quickly get hijacked.
Good training camp for GDT posts...

Parcells brought legitimacy to the franchise. Whether it was mostly just sizzle or actually steak is up for debate - that is, was he really that great, or was it mostly Belichick and personnel mainly responsible for the Giants and Patriots success? He certainly was an above average coach and at the time believed to be the best franchise builder/turnaround man in the league. The individual success of Belichick and Parcells’s mediocre results without Belichick have certainly called for a re-evaluation of Parcells, who has gone from all-time great to all-time good by general reputation. But no matter what, the man had a great personality and swagger, and he was a major influence on Belichick’s coaching/management.

I have to say, though, that I still recall the article from 2000 which was a survey of NFL people who put the Patriots as dead last in the league when it comes to likelihood of winning a Super Bowl in the next decade. This is not an exaggeration, and while the link no longer works, many is remember this actual article, and frankly it was accurate that in 2000 the Patriots has an abysmal outlook. So, I think Parcells should be given credit for what he did, but he shouldn’t “eat into” any credit that Belichick gets.

Belichick identified which veterans were worth keeping and rebuilt much of the roster. It’s not like Parcells had just left; like any team, the Patriots had a handful of good professional players among the 53. But then again, many of these “Parcells” players would be virtually forgotten, or at least much less esteemed, had it not been for Belichick building a dynasty. Belichick has proven with the 2010s that, whether it’s a team he drafted alone, or a situation he came into, he is the mastermind talent evaluator/ economics genius who will find the right players.

Other then Belichick, Chuck Fairbanks should be in. Yes he bailed also but circumstances were similar but different. He took the laughing stock and made it a franchise. Meyer and Berry benefited from his work.
I believe it's less that Meyer & Berry benefitted from Fairbanks' work than it is that Berry benefitted from Meyer's work. I don't think that there was as much key personnel carryover from Fairbanks to Berry - or even to Meyer - as there was from Parcells to Belichick...and for the record, I would rather see Fairbanks elected to the NEPHOF before Parcells is elected there.

Well at least we have Jakobi Meyers. There's always at least one UDFA gem that we uncover each season. So Brady has at least one target to throw to until Edelman recovers from his broken thumb. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes