PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP Day 7 Training Camp Thread- Wednesday August 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, pre-season is gonna be interesting! The first one against the WFT should be so-so as it will be a week from tomorrow.

But when we go to Philly for joint practices, I expect things to heat up significantly between Jones/Newton....we should know which way the wind is blowing just before the 2nd preseason game, IMO.

You mean the rookie in his first training camp ever sounds highly flawed?
Yes. Didn't say it was unexpected or a reason to worry. Just pointing out that if anyone was expecting otherwise, that's not happening.

It’s beyond stupid Mac is still wearing #50, let the guy pick a number and wear it already.

Really happy with Mac’s day. Some here say 17/23 is not perfect. Yeah it’s not…deal with it. Progress is all that matters. Have some patience people.

Yes. Didn't say it was unexpected or a reason to worry. Just pointing out that if anyone was expecting otherwise, that's not happening.
By all accounts, the rookie is light years ahead of where other rookies have been in training camp. So let's give him a month, I'm betting he's going to look like a serviceable QB by the end of pre-season

This may be a passing league, but run plays like that get me way more jacked up. Just watching the blocking unfold in waves like that... poetry.
It's absolutely these elaborate men-as-clockwork-mechanisms plays that got me hooked on the sport!

Same was said about Stidham. Looks smooth. Strong arm. Looks smooth. Strong arm..
Dolegala has a cannon. Stidham has a good arm, but it’s nothing like Dolegala. He probably doesn’t make the team, but there’s no questioning Dolegala’s arm strength.

If these QBs are having a tough time with the defense now, not sure what would be happening if Gilly and KVN were both out there. Even Wino can get in the backfield..
This defense has the potential to be really, really good....You add Gillmore to the back end with an already strong unit and add Donte, Barmore, KVN, Judon, Uche, Godchaux and Anderson to the front 7 and you have the potential to be a top 3-5 unit in the league.

Last edited:
Jakobi ain't too bad plus he can actually get open.

Harry will never be the type of receiver who gets separation. If he is to be productive statistically, QBs need to throw it to him even if he's covered and let him fight for the ball. These camp highlights show that he can do it in practice. Whether that happens in games as a Patriot or elsewhere, or if it happens at all is anyone's guess. But waiting for Harry to be able to separate from DBs consistently is like waiting for Gunner to grow to 6'10". It ain't happening.

Interesting comment from Zolack today. He said,, if you took the numbers off the QB and just judged the throws, the guy with the best arm in camp is Jake Dogala. Says he moves with grace and quickness for a big guy and throws with a quick release, also a rareity for a guy his size. Someone already mentioned it. Make Hoyer the QB coach already and invest the #3 reps on a kid who MAY have a future.

There is a LOT more to being a QB than having a great arm, but this sounds like an intriguing prospect who deserves more than a camp arm look.

Unless things have changed, Hoyer has said he wants nothing to do with being a coach. I guess he sees mentoring / tutoring as a potential QB and the mentoring/Tutoring as a coach as 2 different things..

Unless things have changed, Hoyer has said he wants nothing to do with being a coach. I guess he sees mentoring / tutoring as a potential QB and the mentoring/Tutoring as a coach as 2 different things..
I suppose mentoring while on the 53 pays more. I don't recall that coaching quote. Do you think he said that to try to ride the backup QB gig for as long as he can or he really is not interested in coaching ?

Assuming Nelson, Meyers, Bourne, and Gunner are locks, Harry will probably have to have an incredible camp to beat out Wilkerson, given the latter’s expected contributions as a gunner on ST.

What contributions as a gunner on Special Teams? He's working to be the back-up to Slater and Bethel. Jonathan Jones is also ahead of him as a gunner. Wilkerson is the one who has to have an incredible camp to make the team as a special teamer. In all likelihood, he's going to be on the PS Taxi squad. 1st one up if there is an Injury at WR.

Harry will never be the type of receiver who gets separation. If he is to be productive statistically, QBs need to throw it to him even if he's covered and let him fight for the ball. These camp highlights show that he can do it in practice. Whether that happens in games as a Patriot or elsewhere, or if it happens at all is anyone's guess. But waiting for Harry to be able to separate from DBs consistently is like waiting for Gunner to grow to 6'10". It ain't happening.
Anquan Boldin hardly got any separation for much of his 14 year NFL career, which included 14,000 yds, 82 TD's and being the best offensive player on a Superbowl winner.

There are a lot of ways to be a productive receiver other than speed and separation. Coming out of college no scout thought Harry had great separation. But what he DID have is what he is showing in camp now. The ability to position his body to shield defensive backs from the ball and to use his size advantage to win the ball and strong hands The other thing they expect from him is to be strong after the catch.

What he has shown so far gives us a glimpse of his potential can be when he is used correctly and he works hard.

Really happy with Mac’s day. Some here say 17/23 is not perfect. Yeah it’s not…deal with it. Progress is all that matters. Have some patience people.

I'm ready to wait until next year

I suppose mentoring while on the 53 pays more. I don't recall that coaching quote. Do you think he said that to try to ride the backup QB gig for as long as he can or he really is not interested in coaching ?

I forget which one of the legit pundits mentioned it. But they stated that, when talking to Hoyer, he legitimately didn't have an interest in it because of the extra hours it would require him to be away from his family.

Have any of the rookie QB's dominated in their camp? Heard Lance and Fields are doing well but that's about it.

If Cam is the starter in week 1 I just hope he is a few notches above terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back