PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 3 Training Camp (Real practice begins)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be awesome if Rivers should emerge this season
Been waiting for that for a few years. I’ve given up on him. Anything he gives is a plus, as I see him being cut. Been following NE for quite some time now : never had someone show NOTHING this long and then turn it up.

Patriots training camp observations, Day 3: Session was perfect example of why not to read into things

-- Once again, Isaiah Wynn was very limited and departed for the lower field to work on conditioning. Joe Thuney took his place at left tackle with Ted Karras and James Ferentz filling in on the interior. I predict Thuney will look so good at LT in camp / preseason that he will be there all season. Wynn at LG

-- Players returning punts included: Chung, Braxton Berrios, Maurice Harris and Gunner Olszewski. Berrios needs to nail this to get on the 53. I hope he does.

-- Maurice Harris once again had a solid day at receiver and Harry had a nice back shoulder grab in the end zone on a Brian Hoyer throw. Predicting M. Harris will have more of an impact 1st half of the season then Harry.

-- Danny Etling was the last player off the field, as he was still catching passes an hour after the session. Danny to PS this year and be on the 53 2020.

If Thuney becomes an elite LT, that would be good for his 2020 pay day. But again, it's been the first day in pads and 6 weeks until the season. Plenty of time

Been waiting for that for a few years. I’ve given up on him. Anything he gives is a plus, as I see him being cut. Been following NE for quite some time now : never had someone show NOTHING this long and then turn it up.
There is always a first time for anything. Like a 41 year old QB winning a SB:D

I can’t believe he was so forthcoming about that. I like it.

I don't think he really said much, though. The head coach usually doesn't do a coordinator's job, but we already knew he had to assume at least some of it because there is no de facto DC besides him. Mayo might call plays but we don't know what input he has in the scheme. It sounds like BB does see Mayo's (or someone else's) role increasing eventually, which is also common sense considering you don't want the HC to be overextended for too long.

Giants continue to take hits early on. Golden Tate facing 4 games for an illegal substance in a fertility drug he was taking.

That franchise can drop dead for all I care.

If Thuney becomes an elite LT, that would be good for his 2020 pay day. But again, it's been the first day in pads and 6 weeks until the season. Plenty of time
I have been hoping for Wynn to emerge, but the more time goes on, the more I see Thuney at LT as a def possibility.

That franchise can drop dead for all I care.
...and while anything is possible, I don’t think I’ll be 100% trusting the Fertility Defense just quite yet.

I have been hoping for Wynn to emerge, but the more time goes on, the more I see Thuney at LT as a def possibility.
if Thuney can play it well and Wynn feels more comfortable at guard for now I would not be against it, sure but I wouldn't read too much into it. Patriots fans are sometimes too quickly to jump to conclusions. I mean Sony was already a 2nd M Mitchell and Bennett is retiring because he hasn't showed up so far are just 2 hot takes I heard in the last few days

if Thuney can play it well and Wynn feels more comfortable at guard for now I would not be against it, sure but I wouldn't read too much into it. Patriots fans are sometimes too quickly to jump to conclusions. I mean Sony was already a 2nd M Mitchell and Bennett is retiring because he hasn't showed up so far are just 2 hot takes I heard in the last few days
Yes, but Thuney has been at LT in the Spring and is still there mid summer. Anything can happen, but the longer this goes on, the more probable it becomes Thuney is the new LT.

Mai dire mai
Never say never

I see Harris as a very talented RB and RBs don't need a lot time to be ready. I could see Harris bumping Burkhead out of the 46 roster right away.
Are you saying he'll be a game day inactive or cut?

Keep in mind its a $2.5m cap charge if hes wacked.

I am basing my comments on mini-camp as well...so about a month now of observations by reporters as well. I agree...fans are to quickly to jump to conclusions...see Meyers

Yes, but Thuney has been at LT in the Spring and is still there mid summer. Anything can happen, but the longer this goes on, the more probable it becomes Thuney is the new LT.

He also spent i think his senior college year there exclusively and didnt give a up sack. I'll take that.

I am basing my comments on mini-camp as well...so about a month now of observations by reporters as well. I agree...fans are to quickly to jump to conclusions...see Meyers
If you basically flip Thuney and Wynn for this season, I think that's very possible. But Wynn was also the LT in the walkthrough so we'll see. But maybe it would be more efficient to play guard in the 1st season after a torn achilles than on the edge.

Are you saying he'll be a game day inactive or cut?

Keep in mind its a $2.5m cap charge if hes wacked.
gameday inactive but still on the 53 if all RBs are healthy. But since some are probably missing some games he still could be valuable.

If you basically flip Thuney and Wynn for this season, I think that's very possible. But Wynn was also the LT in the walkthrough so we'll see. But maybe it would be more efficient to play guard in the 1st season after a torn achilles than on the edge.

I believe (speculation) it may be easier on the achilles to play LG then LT...or rather will require less range of motion. If that is indeed true...then it could make sense to have him at LG this year. Next year..we'll see. And their is the comfort level aspect as well.

Thuney has played near perfect at LT in college. You know what he gives you there. I put more value on the LT position then LG.

Last edited:
-- Danny Etling was the last player off the field, as he was still catching passes an hour after the session. Danny to PS this year and be on the 53 2020.
Wow Zuma ... if he will be in the 53 on next season you are really impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference