Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What do you want the Patriots to do on Day 2 of the Draft?

• Total voters

Ivan

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
The Patriots got really lucky with this draft class, it’s loaded at the 2 units that need the best help available.

This poll is premised upon them taking the QB with their first round pick. They could choose to go a number of ways on Day 2, and really fix one unit (OL or WR) completely with two Day 2 picks, or split them with a pick at each position.

What happens in the first round obviously matters, as unexpected players could fall to them - or runs on the position could clean them out and force the Patriots to make other moves. I believe that we will see 7-8 OL, and 4-5 WR’s go off the board before 34, but who they are will obviously matter. So say what you would like to see them do, and give options if the players you want are gone - or if you have other ideas about this. Overall I think it comes down to who is there when they are picking, but you can also throw in trade ideas if you want in the “Other” category. I left the option to change your votes because it’s such a fluid situation. And give your reasoning if you want to.

As much as I want 2 OL right now I think they can get both an impact OT and an impact WR on Day 2, so that’s what I went with. Who I would take will be driven by what happens in the first round, but I think they could get both OT Sumuataiani and WR Legette on Day 2 trading up from 68, and that would give them the LT and WR talent to help both of those units. And I would double dip at both over the rest of the draft.

OT and WR
Okafor onwenu and the OT can battle out the spots and we would still have sow and strange (if Healthy) as starting guards or mafi

I'd like to see us trade into the top 20 to grab Brian Thomas Junior. He's exactly what we need. Would prefer to try to use next years picks or a mixture of this and next year as capital.

Weaponize the offence!

Ideally, we draft someone who can be the franchise LT. The problem is that those guys usually go early. If they don’t think someone like that is available, I’d like to see them draft a WR at 34. Then maybe a tackle who is a project in round 3 or maybe a TE. We’re going to be awful again next year, maybe it will be best to draft our LT in the first round next year.

After the first round the team needs to draft based on the best player available. There are so many variables that selecting purely by position is not the right way to go. These players will likely need time before they are ready to start next year anyway. If there are two equally graded players, choose the one at the position of greater need. If not add the best player, even if the position is not a current need. Better to pick someone who can make the team to provide depth and develop into a future starter than choose a player who is not as good just because he plays a certain position.

After getting our LT, it should be BPA. Also, I would consider moving up from 34 to get a stud LT, possibly using our 3rd to move up.

An ideal draft to me would be at least one each of wr and ot. I wouldn’t mind if they moved up in to the back end of day 2 again to shore up depth at any position, either.

I chose 1 OT and 1 WR, because that's ideal. But ultimately I want them to get an OT at 34 (or with a trade up), then I'm more open with who they take at 68. I think there will be a WR worth it there, but if there's a crazy run, I'd rather they get a better player (even if it's on defense), than reach on a WR just to take one. But I'm prioritizing OT because I think there are fewer good ones that come out every year, and I really want to solidify that OL to give a rookie QB the best chance to develop good habits.

I am split too. I don't think the line is as bad as most, but like everyone says, a good draft for tackles, so.... Also agree with @Sicilian view that if some crazy good defensive players slips cuz of a run on tackles and WRs, take 'em. We're in it for the long haul.

Last edited:
My personal preference:
If Adonai Mitchell somehow falls to 34 I’m sprinting to the podium with his name on the card. Assuming that does not happen:

I’m taking Guyton/Morgan/Suamataia at 34
Then using whatever it takes from this years draft picks to move back into the 2nd and grabbing a WR (Baker/Legette/Corley/Polk)

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back