PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 1 Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very happy with this draft. BB definitely still has his fastball. I was concerned after a sub-par draft last year, the SB loss and LIE-gate nonsense that the franchise might be heading in the wrong direction. I have no such concern anymore. A great day.

It is WAY too early to judge last year's "sub-par draft," but can we at least have a little perspective?

We got a good young DB in Meriweather, traded our 2nd for Welker (which couldn't have turned out better), a late 1st rounder for what turned into a top 10 pick, traded a 4th rounder for Randy Moss (who had arguably the best season a WR ever has) and then took a few shots in late rounds in a crappy draft class.

Maybe we want to ease up on that a bit.

Last edited:
If he turns out like Hobbs than all is good.

Yikes. REALLY? IMO, he sure as Hell better turn out superior to Hobbs for "all" to be "good." Hobbs isn't junk or anything, but at #62 we should hope for better return than the so-so we've gotten out of Ellis so far - and I'm still hopeful for him.

Last edited:
It is WAY too early to judge last year's "sub-par draft," but can we at least have a little perspective?

We got a good young DB in Meriweather, traded our 2nd for Welker (which couldn't have turned out better), a late 1st rounder for what turned into a top 10 pick, traded a 4th rounder for Randy Moss (who had arguably the best season a WR ever has) and then took a few shots in late rounds in a crappy draft class.

Maybe we want to ease up on that a bit.
Completely agree.

Yikes. REALLY? IMO, he sure as Hell better turn out superior to Hobbs for "all" to be "good." Hobbs isn't junk or anything, but at #62 we should hope for better return than the so-so we've gotten out of Ellis so far - and I'm still hopeful for him.

I think we just differ in our views of Hobbs, because I don't see him as so-so. I see him as a very solid starter, who has battled through a number of injuries to help the team.

Either way, anytime you can get a starting calibre corner at the end of round 2 you have to be happy, imo.

I think we just differ in our views of Hobbs, because I don't see him as so-so. I see him as a very solid starter, who has battled through a number of injuries to help the team.

Either way, anytime you can get a starting calibre corner at the end of round 2 you have to be happy, imo.

I don't disagree that "anytime you can get a starting calibre corner at the end of round 2, you have to be happy," I just think it may be premature to assume Wheatley is that. I hope so, though.

What is most encouraging is how FAST the Patriots got their pick in. They knew right away that they had NO INTEREST in dealing the pick. They must really, REALLY like this guy, and they tend not to screw those ones up.

Last edited:
I don't disagree that "anytime you can get a starting calibre corner at the end of round 2, you have to be happy," I just think it may be premature to assume Wheatley is that. I hope so, though.

What is most encouraging is how FAST the Patriots got their pick in. They knew right away that they had NO INTEREST in dealing the pick. They must really, REALLY like this guy, and they tend not to screw those ones up.

We're on the same page (views on Ellis aside) :)

Oh it's waaaaay too early to assume he'll become a starter. That was just a follow-on comment from my suggestion that a Hobbs-clone would suit me.

Both players also commented that the Pats showed major interest in them. The signs are there; we just need to learn how to read them!

We needed a ILB and CB for our rotations and another kick returner. We got all three in the first round and got another 3rd for our troubles. This is a fine day. I expect the same of tomorrow.

If you don't believe me, let's look at our likely defense even before the third round.

DEFENSIVE LINE (7)
Seymour, Wilfork, Warren
Green, Wright, Smith
Thomas/Smith

LINEBACKER (9)
OLB Thomas, Vrabel, Woods
ILB Bruschi, Hobson, Mayo, (Seau or other vet),
ST Izzo, Alexander

DEFENSIVE BACK (9)
CB: Hobbs, (Law or Shepherd), Bryant, Wheatley
S: Harrison, Meriweather, Sanders, Williams
ST: Andrews/Ventrone/Spann/Richardson/Webster/Sanders

Chicken Little didn't like our draft...maybe he would have more if we had given him an interview or something. :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3369696

Eat a big fat c, ESPN.

Didn't everyone say that the Lions were targeting Mayo at 17? Now Clayton says he would have been there at 21? Was he paying attention?

Sorry, but by all indications Mayo was the guy they were targeting in the draft in the first place. Who cares if they took him six spots too early?

DEFENSIVE LINE (7)
Seymour, Wilfork, Warren
Green, Wright, Smith
Thomas/Smith

That's agrueably the best DL in the NFL.

LINEBACKER (9)
OLB Thomas, Vrabel, Woods
ILB Bruschi, Hobson, Mayo, (Seau or other vet),
ST Izzo, Alexander

This is where I have uncertainties. Bruschi has been aging for a few years. It's time to classify him as aged. I don't believe Hobson has ever lined up at ILB. I like Mayo, but looking at BB's track record for giving rookie LBers playing time, unless he's positively incredible, he'll be lucky to get 2 or 3 sniffs a game until at least week 9. If he can be placed in the regular ILB rotation by then, he will have been a fantastic pick. I think they have to start Bruschi and Thomas at ILB, Vrabel, Woods and Alexander at OLB and rotate Hobson there and ILB to spell Bruschi. They have to be careful about moving Thomas outside or they'll get chewed up defending the pass from the ILB position. IMO they really need a veteran presence that can spell Bruschi. It's doubtful that player will emerge by week 1 so they have to proceed with caution.

DEFENSIVE BACK (9)
CB: Hobbs, (Law or Shepherd), Bryant, Wheatley
S: Harrison, Meriweather, Sanders, Williams
ST: Andrews/Ventrone/Spann/Richardson/Webster/Sanders

This is okay, but I expect Richardson to pass Wheatly at CB based on his optimistic pre-season last year. There's nothing for me to put in Wheatly's corner yet. (no pun intended)

Thanks
Frezo

I like Mayo, but looking at BB's track record for giving rookie LBers playing time, unless he's positively incredible, he'll be lucky to get 2 or 3 sniffs a game until at least week 9.

It's important to note that "rookie LBers" under Belichick have been strictly Day Two JAG-wannabes and undrafted FA's, not elite prospects like Mayo. The kid's going to play.

It's important to note that "rookie LBers" under Belichick have been strictly Day Two JAG-wannabes and undrafted FA's, not elite prospects like Mayo. The kid's going to play.

It's possible, but I've seen elite prospects fall on their face. The Pats also have a reasonably difficult linebacking scheme to learn. I recall Thomas, (the elite veteran FA), having issues with it for a few weeks. I'm as hopeful as you with perhaps not as much faith that he will be an immediate contributer.

Thanks
Frezo

It's possible, but I've seen elite prospects fall on their face. The Pats also have a reasonably difficult linebacking scheme to learn. I recall Thomas, (the elite veteran FA), having issues with it for a few weeks. I'm as hopeful as you with perhaps not as much faith that he will be an immediate contributer.

Thanks
Frezo
I expect Jerod to be an "immediate" contributor in the same sense Meriweather was an immediate contributor - STs, situational roles, slowly increasing playing time as he learns the defense, adjusts to the speed of the game, and moves from thinking his way through an assignment to doing it automatically. Sadly, the same people who have labeled Meriweather a "bust" because he didn't start will react the same way this time.

BB has been on a round 1 "M" kick recently after a spell of round 1 "W"s:
2003 "W"arren
2004 "W"ilfork, "W"atson
2005 "M"ankins
2006 "M"aroney
2007 "M"eriweather
2008 "M"ayo

Amusing.

Whether Mayo turns out to be REAL MAYO or not, I'm tickled with the way that pick worked out. By moving down to 10, the Pats still got who they wanted/picked up another 3rd round choice/will end up paying Mayo less for a 10 choice than a 7.

Just think, one year ago, we were all wondering what Day 2 picks the Pats would make and we all woke up to the blockbuster deal that got us Randy Moss. Wonder if any midnight deals might transpire again????

A 3rd rounder for Lito Sheppard would probably get everyone JUICED up. ;-) But I wouldn't count on it. The contract would be the sticking point.

A 3rd rounder for Lito Sheppard would probably get everyone JUICED up. ;-) But I wouldn't count on it. The contract would be the sticking point.

That might be even too high. I'll bet that the Eagles will take just about anything to get rid of him and the rest of the NFL knows it.

I expect Jerod to be an "immediate" contributor in the same sense Meriweather was an immediate contributor - STs, situational roles, slowly increasing playing time as he learns the defense, adjusts to the speed of the game, and moves from thinking his way through an assignment to doing it automatically.

Ditto...That's a very reasonable expectation especially for a prospective Pats LBer. It would take an exceptionally rare rookie to supplant/replace players like Bruschi, Thomas, Seau right away.

Sadly, the same people who have labeled Meriweather a "bust" because he didn't start will react the same way this time.

I missed those discussions. No loss.

BB has been on a round 1 "M" kick recently after a spell of round 1 "W"s:
2003 "W"arren
2004 "W"ilfork, "W"atson
2005 "M"ankins
2006 "M"aroney
2007 "M"eriweather
2008 "M"ayo

Amusing.

Draft by the numbers? Nah, draft by the letters. It's going to be tough when they get up to "X".

I like the Mayo pick. A tad bit concerned about his last minute skyrocket into the first round. But it was clear he was the Patriots top pick going into the draft. Michael Holley made a near guarantee that he was the pick on his show yesterday and our friend NEInsider on the ESPN board claims that the Pats fell in love with the guy when they worked him out (assuming he is the real deal). Usually when the Pats are this high on a player in the first round, they are on the money whether the Pats draft him or not.

I loved that we traded down too. Based on the fact that I firmly believe Mayo was our target going into the draft, I think we would have drafted him at seven if we couldn't find a trade partner. We did and we picked up a decent third round pick for our troubles.

Well, it looks like Belichick/Pees/Capers are definitely going with a more agressive secondary this year. Both Ellis Hobbs and now it looks like Wheatley seem to excel better at either man-to-man or press coverage than more zone. Asante was the exact opposite.

Gotta be concerned about Wheatley's injury history, but the guy looks to be a real steal if he can stay healthy.

We addressed our two biggest needs in today's draft and got players who should fit our system perfectly. I can say on the face of it, we had a good day with three third round picks going into tomorrow to fill in some more holes.

I am hoping we can pick up at least one more LB in the third. I am also on the Avril bandwagon. I also think we should address RT in the third too.

"Both Ellis Hobbs and now it looks like Wheatley seem to excel better at either man-to-man or press coverage than more zone. Asante was the exact opposite."

do alot of you think that Ellis excels in the "man to man coverage?" I don't know that he has shown that he consistently excels in either man to man or zone......he got juked out or outplayed man to man frequently, and we all know what happened in the SB during his play on the zone coverage........I for one, am not confident overall in Hobbs as a starter.........what do you all think?

Very happy with the first pick, also pretty happy with the 2nd round pick. They got younger and faster on D, just like they needed to. It really would have been nice to have that 2nd first round pick this year, could have got another LB or an OL

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes