PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 1 Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kas

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
This has actually been my favourite draft in awhile. I know a bunch of you probably disagree, but hear me out.

1) First we get a LB that should be able to make an immediate impact inside. The key here is that Mayo can take snaps at ILB. This will allow AT to shift outside to OLB. He'll only move inside for specific packages. He was very effective outside in the SB, and I think he could be downright scary there with a year in the system under his belt. IMO Mayo's hand play and physicality were probably the best of all LB's in this draft. His transition to the pros will probably be gradual (Hobson and Bru will get the majority of the snaps early on), but I expect he'll be a real contributor by playoffs. With Hobson and Mayo we just got a lot younger and more athletic inside.

It might have been a slight reach, but there was no way the Lions were letting him slip past them by all accounts. I'm excited to this kid play.

2) It's funny how Wheatley is so similar to Hobbs. Short, but lightning quick, tough, physical and athletic. It's also funny how the reaction to the pick was the nearly identical as well. The fact of the matter is BB just doesn't really care about size in his corners - it's all about ball skills and athleticism. Wheatley can also contribute as a KR. Personally I don't mind having short corners. For every jump ball a receiver might win (and there's no saying a 6'2 corner wouldn't get beat too), the shorter corner should be able to knock away many more passes with better acceleration/hips/explosion.

Wheatley should be a nickel corner for this year and next, but like Hobbs I see him starting in the near future.

Again, these two picks weren't sexy, but I see both guys contributing in sub packages early on and having the potential to grow in the system. What I like best is that both are great leaders with top intangibles - we've built a dynasty on players like these and I'm glad this trend is continuing.

I like the picks, we got two playmakers on defense. I think that is what we were looking for. I know people have complaints about Wheatley's size, but I doubt we were going to get anyone who would have been an instant starter at that position.

I'm just happy we didn't trade up to draft a TE.

Mayo is good. Wheatley is small. We drafted at our needs. Not bad.

I just don't understand the thinking behind the size complaints - Asante Samuel is 5'10" and nobody's been complaining about his size for 2 years. And height isn't everything - long arms can help make up for it, as can jumping abilities. And it helps us get super fast, super quick cover guys in the end of the 2nd round rather than in the 1st. It's a non-starter that gets everybody started. :confused:

Nice post, kas.

Personally, I find the Mayo pick about as sexy as it's possible to be.

Wheatley? I've no idea. Evidently I was the one football fan not tuned into Colorado games last year. He certainly looks smooth on videos, and his profiles do read strikingly similar to Hobbs. If he turns out like Hobbs than all is good.

Enthusiasm is still high for tomorrow.

I am very happy with this draft. BB definitely still has his fastball. I was concerned after a sub-par draft last year, the SB loss and LIE-gate nonsense that the franchise might be heading in the wrong direction. I have no such concern anymore. A great day.

The Defense has gotten faster today. We needed that. Good day.

I am very happy with this draft. BB definitely still has his fastball. I was concerned after a sub-par draft last year, the SB loss and LIE-gate nonsense that the franchise might be heading in the wrong direction. I have no such concern anymore. A great day.

Well, hopefully on May 14th, ****Gate will be no more. I am bloody SICK of that already.

As long as we have BB and Brady this franchise will continue to shine.

the best part if that we have three picks in the third round and two of them are early and there are still alot of quality players there also. I'm guessing at least maybe two defensive players in the third and maybe a TE or OL.

I like the picks as well. Though Wheatly may have been a stretch in the 2nd round, they picked him really fast so they obviously knew who they wanted, and if BB wants him I've got no doubt he knows vastly more than we do.

I like the picks as well. Though Wheatly may have been a stretch in the 2nd round, they picked him really fast so they obviously knew who they wanted, and if BB wants him I've got no doubt he knows vastly more than we do.

Hopefully so. Sporting News had Wheatley as a 6th Rounder.

Sporting News is worth less than nothing. I've never seen a worse draft guide in my entire life. They have no credibility at all.

The Defense has gotten faster today. We needed that. Good day.

I think we can all agree on one thing. Defense was a need and we have a better defense now then we did yesterday.

Been wanting a 1st day LB for 2 yrs now. Just not enough upside for guys where they've been drafting. Was happy to see BB take on an ILB candidate as well, instead of trying to convert another DE. With Hobson and Mayo joining the ILB cast, Adalius and Vrabel will be able to maximize their talents at OLB.

BB/Peoli obviously had a different opinion about Wheatley than most; it was probably the quickest decision of the day. I was sorry the TE from Texas went right before as he had been mentioned as a good blocker, that is an issue we will have to address tomorrow. It's about the only real help the O-line is going to get. After losing Graham in '06 and K. Brady last yr, the sum total of O-line production is lessened, IMO.

Whether Mayo turns out to be REAL MAYO or not, I'm tickled with the way that pick worked out. By moving down to 10, the Pats still got who they wanted/picked up another 3rd round choice/will end up paying Mayo less for a 10 choice than a 7.

Just think, one year ago, we were all wondering what Day 2 picks the Pats would make and we all woke up to the blockbuster deal that got us Randy Moss. Wonder if any midnight deals might transpire again????

The Sporting News Draft guide tends to have good information in it, but they are lousy at predicting where picks will go.

I like the Mayo pick. A tad bit concerned about his last minute skyrocket into the first round. But it was clear he was the Patriots top pick going into the draft. Michael Holley made a near guarantee that he was the pick on his show yesterday and our friend NEInsider on the ESPN board claims that the Pats fell in love with the guy when they worked him out (assuming he is the real deal). Usually when the Pats are this high on a player in the first round, they are on the money whether the Pats draft him or not.

I loved that we traded down too. Based on the fact that I firmly believe Mayo was our target going into the draft, I think we would have drafted him at seven if we couldn't find a trade partner. We did and we picked up a decent third round pick for our troubles.

Well, it looks like Belichick/Pees/Capers are definitely going with a more agressive secondary this year. Both Ellis Hobbs and now it looks like Wheatley seem to excel better at either man-to-man or press coverage than more zone. Asante was the exact opposite.

Gotta be concerned about Wheatley's injury history, but the guy looks to be a real steal if he can stay healthy.

We addressed our two biggest needs in today's draft and got players who should fit our system perfectly. I can say on the face of it, we had a good day with three third round picks going into tomorrow to fill in some more holes.

I am hoping we can pick up at least one more LB in the third. I am also on the Avril bandwagon. I also think we should address RT in the third too.

A lot of analysts dropped the guy because of his injury history and his size. As we have seen with our history with CBs, size isn't neccessarily a concern for this team. As long as he can stay healthy (in particular his wrist), he could be a steal in this draft.

Re: the size of cornerbacks, I agree it doesn't matter as much as some people seem to think when it comes to pass defense. But what about run support? Does a 5'9" guy really want to stick his shoulders into a Brandon Jacobs type ball carrier who outweighs him by 50-60#? That was one big difference between Ty Law and Asante, IMO. Ty was much more physical playing the run.

Re: the size of cornerbacks, I agree it doesn't matter as much as some people seem to think when it comes to pass defense. But what about run support? Does a 5'9" guy really want to stick his shoulders into a Brandon Jacobs type ball carrier who outweighs him by 50-60#? That was one big difference between Ty Law and Asante, IMO. Ty was much more physical playing the run.

Jacobs outweighs every cornerback by 50 pounds, 5'9" or not. Winfield, at 5'9", by the by, is generally regarded as the best run-support corner in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back