PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Ortiz shot in The Dominican

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a difference in being scared and sensibly not putting yourself in a really bad situation. To each their own however.

Having walked the streets of Tijuana at 1am and been lost in back alleys of Bangkok at 4am I get it. You can never fully prevent yourself from being victimized by crime or negligence no matter where you are in this life but there are ways to reduce your chances of being a victim.

I deal with pretty severe hypochondria. Not in a funny haha way in a way that at times I've not been sure it was worth continuing on. The immersion therapy of traveling to some places that can be rough yet rewarding is undeniable. I generally have several months without major hypochondria issues popping up after a successful trip to somewhere that US levels of healthcare isn't possible. I'm not proud typing any of this.

I want to have traveled to every continent and dipped a toe in every major body of water before I check out. I guess Central America sort of counts as a sub continent or something so it's definitely on my list.

In general I've found trying to use as much of the local language and showing respect and deference, given that I'm a guest in THEIR country, has done wonders for me. I've never once had a negative interaction but I've watched several Euros or Americans have a bad time in someone else's country because they don't leave their ego on the plane. If someone is walking towards me on Revolucion Blvd, I give way. If someone bumps into me? "Pardon" or "lo siento". If you know how to count and say "Please" "I'm sorry" and "Thank you" you can have a great time everywhere that I've ever been from Asia to France to the Bronx.

The resort deaths are a concern, there's no doubt about it. But why are they more scary than the people who died in Flint Michigan?

I sponsored a young man in DR for 6-1/2 years through Compassion International.
When he turned 18 he was no longer eligible for the program and I have no idea
where he is today. :(

I am not sure if this has already been posted:

Biggest challenge when removing intestine is infection, both from the surgery itself and then from complications.

I've no idea of the quality of care he got, or that's available in the DR. He'll need some luck from this point forward, regardless. Not out of the woods by any means.

Damn.
The famous Dominican singer Juan Luis Guerra had a song about going to the hospital. Here are some of the lyrics:

Do not tell me that the doctors left
Do not tell me you do not have anesthesia
Do not tell me that they drank the alcohol
And that the sewing thread was embroidered into a tablecloth
Do not tell me that the tweezers were lost
That the stethoscope is out partying
That the X-rays were fused
And that the serum was used
To sweeten the coffee.

It's an old song but doubt things have changed much since that country is dirt poor. Of course, if you have money.

I was in DR about 5 years ago. Got the VIP treatment. Left the resort right away. Hung out with locals. Good, fun people. Pretty happy ppl considering the deplorable conditions they live in compared to where they work, the resorts. Still can't understand how people won't tip because it's an all inclusive resort. That's what those folks live on.

Yeah I am on the fence about that as of now myself. Still, a two man “hit team”, that weren’t exactly stellar in their operation? Smells like cops. Add in cartel hits are always very public to send messages and they don‘t care about collateral damage. Would also explain the hurry to get him back to Boston. If they knew it was a hit, he needs to be gone asap.

I pray it wasn’t that and I am totally wrong
Great point about the Sox getting him out of there not because of the quality medical care but to prevent someone coming in and fluffing his pillows at the hospital

Could be someone was trying to shake him down, he rebuffed and they sent a message or were just incompetent

Still no indicator of motive, however the whole idea of "trophy hit" should not be thrown out.. some criminal on the path to being accepted into a gang may have thought that by killing Ortiz he might be accepted more readily into the hierarchy (or his initiation), however he did not count on patrons getting involved..

FWIW when I travel I avoid the sanitized resorts, they try to shield me from the local culture.. in Mexico stay in local apartments, and have never had an issue with any aggression.. in Europe pretty much the same way, try to immerse myself into their way of life..

Would never go on a cruise for that reason..

This appears to be from a site called "Numbeo" and is based on 98 self reported responses, not any police reports or actual crime statistics.. it may be correct, but the method seems somewhat suspect.

Need to source your stats..

WEEI will be having a reporter from DR on in 5ish minutes. See if there is any new news. Or whatever.

What a scare. Evidently wrong place wrong time and the injuries were significant. Good go see him go home.

Nevermind, didn't realize this was old news. Saw it ths morning and got so white hot mad that I stopped thinking

Your WiFi is a tad slow.

Yeah, sorry. Mods please delete. Hope the big man is doing better.

In the meantime, have at me, I deserve it for not checking the date on the article.

Somebody needs to get out more :rolleyes:

I thought he was shot again. Thanks OP ;)

How do you go six weeks without hearing about this?

Nevermind, didn't realize this was old news. Saw it ths morning and got so white hot mad that I stopped thinking

Sounds like you need a break. Take a vacation to the Dominican Republic. The resorts there are great particularly in Punta Cana

source.gif

edit: good thinking Ras-IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back