PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darrelle Revis just got destroyed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often hear that a player is worth more money if he plays for a divisional rival because you are not only getting a good player but depriving him from a competitor. With the salary cap, that is a double edged sword, with this being a case in point. A player is worth a certain value. Overpaying is bad and underpaying is good. The Patriots are stronger for moving on and the Jets are weaker. Cuts both ways.

In the end, when it's two teams bidding in the same division, all it means is the impact of the transaction will effect both teams more. Overpaying, though, is still just as detrimental, and in an auction, the winner almost always loses.

It's arguable if Revis was worth $17M per year, or even $15M a year, when he was 25. Even in that case, signing him for three years guaranteed with no options to soften the blow? Jets paying for their impulses to win at the wrong things.
Agree. If you believe that a player is not worth the cost then you would rather have your rival sign him.
Exception to this is if he is only not worth he cost in your system but would be worth it to others.

Charles Woodson played CB at a high level for the Packers until he was 34-35. Similar to last year the Jets are just mis-using him. They need to realise that this isn't 2009 anymore. You don't put Revis one-on-one on receivers of AJ Green's calibre the entire game. Either you assign him to cover the number 2 receiver by himself the entire game or give him safety help. Of course he can still cover some number 1 receivers by himself, but then it needs to be those type of receivers that Revis can blanket using his technique alone.
I didn't see the game, but in most of the replays I saw, Revis was right there with Green, but either the pass was perfect, or Green just was too big. I didn't see Revis being beat badly.

I think the issue was a strategic one. It didn't have to be on every play, but at least on occasion would might have been smart give Darryl some help.

That being said, the contract the NYJ gave him was over valued the day he signed it. I will always be thankful Revis played his year with the Pats and helped us win a superbowl. His and Browner's presence was critical in allowing more time for Butler and Ryan to develop.

The Jets got what they deserved, but despite the "numbers", Revis still is a very good CB in this league. But just not nearly worth what they are paying him. No CB is.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I have the impression that nowadays Revis gives faster receivers more cushion at the LOS making it easier for them to pick up short yardage on hitch routes.

The population of Revis Island is getting so big that they are going to have to call it Revis Continent.

OK that means nothing. :rolleyes:
Wasn't done yet.
Those are PFF stars which are far from legit and those 2 stats are not the sole criteria of who is a top 5 corner.

Wasn't done yet.
Those are PFF stars which are far from legit and those 2 stats are not the sole criteria of who is a top 5 corner.
Completion % against is not a PFF stat. Neither is allowing a lot of touchdowns.

If you want to say Revis sucked last year go ahead. Its a bottomless argument.

I didn't see the game, but in most of the replays I saw, Revis was right there with Green, but either the pass was perfect, or Green just was too big. I didn't see Revis being beat badly.

I think the issue was a strategic one. It didn't have to be on every play, but at least on occasion would might have been smart give Darryl some help.

That being said, the contract the NYJ gave him was over valued the day he signed it. I will always be thankful Revis played his year with the Pats and helped us win a superbowl. His and Browner's presence was critical in allowing more time for Butler and Ryan to develop.

The Jets got what they deserved, but despite the "numbers", Revis still is a very good CB in this league. But just not nearly worth what they are paying him. No CB is.
No doubt green is good but being beaten consistently is being beaten consistently whether you are close or not which he wasn't on the long TD.
Whenever he was in man dalton picked on him
I'm not saying he is the worst corner in the NFL but I am saying if you run your defense under the assumption he is the best corner in the NFL he is going to look a lot more like the worst one in terms of production.

Completion % against is not a PFF stat. Neither is allowing a lot of touchdowns.
Then where did you get that ranking?
It's not an official stat. Who is determine who to charge coverage to in a zone?

If you want to say Revis sucked last year go ahead. Its a bottomless argument.
I didn't say he sucked I said he got torched at times last year. And he did. He is a better than average corner who will look like an awful one of you leave him exposed like happened yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Slide 2
"All stats courtesy of pro football focus"

Their raw stats are fine. Their ratings systems suck.[/QUOTE]
Their raw stats are not fine. They are based upon the same principals as their rating system when it comes to assigning "thrown at". They do not understand football enough to know the coverages.
But you said it wasn't pff

Their raw stats are fine. Their ratings systems suck.
Their raw stats are not fine. They are based upon the same principals as their rating system when it comes to assigning "thrown at". They do not understand football enough to know the coverages.
But you said it wasn't pff

We will disagree on the raw statistical value of PFF.

We will disagree on the raw statistical value of PFF.
They aren't raw, they are judgment.
And how do you suppose those numbers can be right from watching games particularly when Sammy Watkins beat him for 11 for 136 in his last game?

They aren't raw, they are judgment.
And how do you suppose those numbers can be right from watching games particularly when Sammy Watkins beat him for 11 for 136 in his last game?

That is the best you are going to get. If you don't believe their raw stats that is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes