PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Etling = Cat like quick!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats seemed to be setting that up nearly all game. I noticed from early in the game that Etling seemed to routinely fake the keeper and sprint right on handoffs for runs to the left, "routine" being the key there. I pretty much expected Etling to get the green light to the keeper at some point later in the game if he saw a contain breakdown.

It happened, and he went. I wasn't expecting an 86-yard TD run. Maybe just a 15-20 yard scamper for a 1st down.

He may not be very good at overall QB play, and may never be. And it was only a "meaningless" pre-season game.

But, y'know, f**k all that negative sh it.

He seems like a good kid who has worked his butt off. And, for a few more hours, he's "one of our guys". It was a great moment for him, a great moment for the team, and a really fun and memorable football play to watch - one of the main reasons I watch the game in the first place. I'll just enjoy it for awhile.

Runs hard. Runs fast. Blocks well. Can he catch the ball?

He had some good throws too and showed improvement in the second half. The kid's a competitor.

I agree. He was 18-32, which is pretty bad, and some of his throws were HORRID. But he hung in there and competed. Look, the guy was a 7th round draft pick for a reason. He wasn't a great college quarterback, though he did compete in the toughest conference in college football. There's some things to like about him. Obviously a major major work in progress, but I think Brady has two more stud seasons in him so the plan - if Etling is in the long-term plans at all - is for Etling to be "ready" (as ready as he'll ever be) by the 2020 season. That gives them time to really work with him. If it doesn't work out, no biggie. Wasn't a huge investment of draft capital.

Was an exciting play in the game that basically clinched it, so that was pretty cool and I'm sure it will be something he remembers for the rest of his life

That being said, I'm not concerned at all about exposing Etling to the practice squad. I highly doubt teams will be breaking down the door to make him their #3 QB

I was convinced they would carry 3 QBs on the roster this year, and basically every year until they find a legitimate replacement for Brady.. but Etling is way too raw of a prospect to be worried about another team stealing him away from us

Julian Edelman was a college quarterback.

Drafted in the 7th round even.

I feel like if Tebow and Rex Grossman can win a playoff game we could make it work with Etling.

What a freaking stupid year 2006 was...can't believe we blew that game and Indy got to play ReX gRoSsMaN in a rainy super bowl. Unreal

I agree. He was 18-32, which is pretty bad, and some of his throws were HORRID. But he hung in there and competed. Look, the guy was a 7th round draft pick for a reason. He wasn't a great college quarterback, though he did compete in the toughest conference in college football. There's some things to like about him. Obviously a major major work in progress, but I think Brady has two more stud seasons in him so the plan - if Etling is in the long-term plans at all - is for Etling to be "ready" (as ready as he'll ever be) by the 2020 season. That gives them time to really work with him. If it doesn't work out, no biggie. Wasn't a huge investment of draft capital.
Etling has a good arm but needs to stop throwing off his back foot because relying on that arm alone won't carry him in the pros. Habits like that are hard to break. But it was his first NFL full-speed action vs. a real opponent and what impressed me was his improvement in the second half as he settled down a bit and started adjusting to the game's speed. He's also tough and a real competitor. If he somehow makes it in this league it'll be quite a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST