PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Amendola - Cap Scenarios

Status
Not open for further replies.
And do what with that three million? Blow it on a receiver of Lavelle Hawkins' caliber and some washed up 30+ DT that breaks something by the end of September? Despite Danny having a lackluster year it's highly unlikely the couple million they save from cutting him is going to acquire any players that will benefit this team more than him.

So, you think that we ALL can agree that Edelman is MUCH better than Amendola. I don't think that ALL poster can agree on anything.

In any case, if Edelman is MUCH better than he should be re-signed.

Yes we can.

the pats are not in cap hell they don't need to cut a guy they just signed because he did what he has done his whole career 12 games played 60 rec 600 yards, am sure they were hoping to get more out him and maybe they will but it is with it is,

its not like they are going to take that money and give it to Edelman, Julian may just walk even if they cut DA all the pats will do with that 3 million is sign a few Austin Collie's and cut and re-sign when the 3 rookies have a bad game

The team could very well announce on March 12th that Amendola was cut and Edelman was re-signed, so in effect Edelman would replace Amendola as our slot receiver.

That being said, I think that we could keep both. If we keep both, it seems much less likely that we would spend serious money on a downfield receiver.

the pats are not in cap hell they don't need to cut a guy they just signed because he did what he has done his whole career 12 games played 60 rec 600 yards, am sure they were hoping to get more out him and maybe they will but it is with it is,

its not like they are going to take that money and give it to Edelman, Julian may just walk even if they cut DA all the pats will do with that 3 million is sign a few Austin Collie's and cut and re-sign when the 3 rookies have a bad game

The team could very well announce on March 12th that Amendola was cut and Edelman was re-signed, so in effect Edelman would replace Amendola as our slot receiver.

That being said, I think that we could keep both. If we keep both, it seems much less likely that we would spend serious money on a downfield receiver.

if they cut DA and re-sign Edelman or keep both I would be happy but if they cut DA and some team offers Edelman more then the pats want to pay and all they have is the rookies that would be a very bad move by the front office, if had to pick between Edelman and DA I would pick Edelman but at lest one of them needs to be on the roster

I think one thing we can all agree on is that we're down on Danny Amendola's 2013 performance, but I'm not quite as sure that one year of seeing Edelman receive 151 total targets equates to him suddenly being a man of steel who's definitely better. It would seem to me that whoever is going to receive the targets like that is going to put up the numbers. Just for comparison:

Edelman--105 catches on 151 targets (69% completion rate) 54 first downs 10.1 yards per catch

vs

Amendola--54 catches on 83 targets (65% completion rate) 37 first downs 11.7 yards per catch

This tells me that if Amendola had been the one receiving 151 targets, he'd have numbers that were not only just as good as Edelman, but in same ways even better. He basically put up equal numbers when you take the 1/2 target aspect into account.

Much like last year, I would prefer to keep our previous slot guy, but I won't be losing sleep over seeing Amendola take over either, especially if another sense of the WR weakness is addessed with a player of equal or better talent. This would include guys such as Sanders, Maclin, Nicks, etc. It would also include lesser costing possession receivers like Cotchery as well. Only Belichick knows how the money should be spent at the position, and whether or not Edelman is worth the kind of money that he may command on the open market.

if they cut DA and re-sign Edelman or keep both I would be happy but if they cut DA and some team offers Edelman more then the pats want to pay and all they have is the rookies that would be a very bad move by the front office, if had to pick between Edelman and DA I would pick Edelman but at lest one of them needs to be on the roster

I agree that losing both of them would suck, but I don't really think we need to worry about that happening. They aren't going to cut Amendola and then gamble with Edelman, where they could potentially lose both.

I agree that losing both of them would suck, but I don't really think we need to worry about that happening. They aren't going to cut Amendola and then gamble with Edelman, where they could potentially lose both.

Agreed.

And history does not favor this team panicking after 1 year and eating the effects of a long-term deal (think Ocho, Adalius Thomas, etc.). Amendola was not a disaster last year. He was injured. He has little to do with the decision to pay JE, as there really isn't much money to be gained by axing Amendola to facilitate that deal. I would be flat-out amazed if Amendola was not on the roster next year.

Yes we can.

See, if we don't agree that we agree, then the guy who says we don't agree is, by definition, correct.

I like JE a lot - my grandson is named after him - but no, I don't agree at all that he's much better than DA. DA played the season on an injured groin, got about half the snaps, half the targets, half the yards, of JE. Playing injured.

For comparison, look at how Kyle Arrington's play dropped off after he got a similar injury.

People keep saying that we should replace Amendola's contract with one for Edelman, but that's not what you're doing if you cut DA and give the same deal to JE. Add 2.4m/year for the next two years to JE's contract, because that's the dead money.

If health is the determining factor with these two, you're playing a fool's game because last year was the first year Edelman stayed healthy. Where was he in the AFCCG against the Ravens?

I don't see him going anywhere. He played on a torn groin all season long. Let's see how he does healthy (if it last).

I like JE a lot - my grandson is named after him - but no, I don't agree at all that he's much better than DA. DA played the season on an injured groin, got about half the snaps, half the targets, half the yards, of JE. Playing injured.

People keep saying that we should replace Amendola's contract with one for Edelman, but that's not what you're doing if you cut DA and give the same deal to JE. Add 2.4m/year for the next two years to JE's contract, because that's the dead money.

If health is the determining factor with these two, you're playing a fool's game because last year was the first year Edelman stayed healthy. Where was he in the AFCCG against the Ravens?

Bingo we got bingo.

If amendola is going to be cut, it is in 2015 not 2014, so I dont really see the discussion here. There is no real benefit in cutting him.

and considering he had a groin injury all year that limited his ability he still had 60+catches and 600yards. not a total disaster. if he stays healthy and receives targets, he will put up 100+ catches, 1000+ yards. and then the deal is a bargain. if he doesnt, then he is cut next off-season

Edelman has had as much injury history as Amendola they are essentially the same player. Injury prone guy who has talent trying to show what he can do with a fully healthy season....only difference is edelman finally had one. somehow this board forgot Edelmans injury history and turned him into some durable strongman.

but what if we cut amendola and edelman walks? or edelman breaks his foot, hand etc. again. this whole board will be crying how it was a mistake to invest in an injury prone player...

I think one thing we can all agree on is that we're down on Danny Amendola's 2013 performance, but I'm not quite as sure that one year of seeing Edelman receive 151 total targets equates to him suddenly being a man of steel who's definitely better. It would seem to me that whoever is going to receive the targets like that is going to put up the numbers. Just for comparison:

Edelman--105 catches on 151 targets (69% completion rate) 54 first downs 10.1 yards per catch

vs

Amendola--54 catches on 83 targets (65% completion rate) 37 first downs 11.7 yards per catch

This tells me that if Amendola had been the one receiving 151 targets, he'd have numbers that were not only just as good as Edelman, but in same ways even better. He basically put up equal numbers when you take the 1/2 target aspect into account.

Much like last year, I would prefer to keep our previous slot guy, but I won't be losing sleep over seeing Amendola take over either, especially if another sense of the WR weakness is addessed with a player of equal or better talent. This would include guys such as Sanders, Maclin, Nicks, etc. It would also include lesser costing possession receivers like Cotchery as well. Only Belichick knows how the money should be spent at the position, and whether or not Edelman is worth the kind of money that he may command on the open market.

Did you watch the games, there's a reason Edelman got targeted way more than Amendola, because he's a better route runner and better receiver.

He was a better receiver than an injured DA. Not sure he is a better receiver than a non-injured DA.

Did you watch the games, there's a reason Edelman got targeted way more than Amendola, because he's a better route runner and better receiver.

He got targeted more than Amendola because Amendola was injured and it affected his ability to run all season long.

vs

The biggest question mark surrounding Amendola in my mind is his consistency week-to-week.

• In three regular season games against Buffalo, Pittsburg, and Miami – 24 receptions, 32 targets, 75% ratio, 357 yards, 14.87 average, and 1 touchdown.
• In the other nine regular season games – 30 receptions, 51 targets, 58.8% ratio, 276 yards, 9.2 average, and 1 touchdown.

I understand that he had a groin injury, I have heard it endless times but the groin injury was relevant in all three of the games he played extremely well in, as well as the nine games he did not. Why is an injury limiting him in such a significant way in a game like the Broncos game but he is able to play at a high level in those other three games?

I would also point out that this is not isolated to only 2013, in 2012, Amendola had 26 receptions on 28 targets (92.85%) in two games against the Redskins and the 49ers, and he had 37 receptions on 73 targets (50.6%) in his other nine games.

He was a better receiver than an injured DA. Not sure he is a better receiver than a non-injured DA.

This was not Amendola’s first NFL season; he has been in the NFL since 2008. He played 16 games in 2010 and he finished with 85 receptions on 122 target for 689 yards and 3 touchdowns. In the final 8 games played Edelman compiled 69 receptions on 97 targets, for 729 yards and 5 touchdowns.

Amendola may very well be an effective NFL slot receiver but he is not as good as Edelman is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents