PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Amendola - Cap Scenarios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally prefer Option 1 (Cut with June 2 designation) as 2014 is already strained due to one off of Aaron Hernandez.

OK with option 2 as well.

Other options appear indecisive and incur 2 million cap hit unnecessarily in 2014 where we cannot afford it.

Great Article! tough choices. The key is how much does Edelman get and is there a free agent upgrade.

Oh sweet jesus not another one........................................

NOOOOOOOOOO

Time to use the ignore thread function.

With the new information, the situation is MUCH, MUCH different.

Edelman can be given an offer and listen other offers in the allowed tampering time (March 8 - March 11).

Amendola can be given an "offer" during this time period.

The team will have ONE decision that they MUST make before March 11. Is Amendola worth carrying for $3.275M of new monies?

How do you put a thread on ignore?

Oh sweet jesus not another one........................................

NOOOOOOOOOO

Time to use the ignore thread function.

This actually has factual information from Miguel - not the same threads you've seen previously ;)

This is quite true.

My question is whether Ben Volin's interpretation of the contract has been verified by other sources. This contract interpretation is the basis of Miguel's expert calculations.

This actually has factual information from Miguel - not the same threads you've seen previously ;)

Oh what a tangled Web we weave when we make bad signings.

The article isn't the problem for me Ian, it is the discussion that is going to follow it and 8 million more posts saying the exact same thing over and over and over and over----you get the idea.

I have complete respect for Miguel and his exceptional contributions to this site, and when it comes to accuracy he is excellent, however imo it won't change anything. I think Belichick knew what he was buying when he signed Amendola and he knows that he played with a serious injury all season and was a shadow of himself because of it. I think the chance of them parting ways with him is zero.

If he does get cut, it will be the third big name receiver in 3 years that was a disappointment and was overpaid for (ocho, Lloyd, and amendola if his performance was not injury related).

They somehow hit it out of the park in 07 -- Moss, Welker, and even though Stallworth dropped from 3 to 4 on the depth chart behind Gaffney, Stallworth was still worth the amount he was paid.

Whereas since then, the free agent receivers have all been misses.
Ocho was worse than useless;
Lloyd was a disappointment (compared to his cost, including the 2nd year dead cap money);
Amendola might live up to his contract if he performs as originally expected going forward, but the decision to swap Amendola for Welker at even money was definitely the wrong one. But if he's cut, then it will be one of their biggest FA busts.

The article isn't the problem for me Ian, it is the discussion that is going to follow it and 8 million more posts saying the exact same thing over and over and over and over----you get the idea.

I have complete respect for Miguel and his exceptional contributions to this site, and when it comes to accuracy he is excellent, however imo it won't change anything. I think Belichick knew what he was buying when he signed Amendola and he knows that he played with a serious injury all season and was a shadow of himself because of it. I think the chance of them parting ways with him is zero.

I personally agree with you. But the one new thing that Miguel's article clarifies is that while the Pats probably can't afford to pay both Edelman and Amendola, IF the Pats wanted to swap Edelman for Amendola they probably have a window to make it happen. I doubt that happens, and I don't want to endlessly discuss it again, but it is a new wrinkle on the situation.

OK, let us say that on March 9th, the patriots agree to a 5 year contract with Edelman. Surely this is POSSIBLE.

Are you suggesting that there is ZERO chance that the team will choose to cut Amendola in order to save $2.888M of cap room?

I think the chance of them parting ways with him is zero.

I personally agree with you. But the one new thing that Miguel's article clarifies is that while the Pats probably can't afford to pay both Edelman and Amendola, IF the Pats wanted to swap Edelman for Amendola they probably have a window to make it happen. I doubt that happens, and I don't want to endlessly discuss it again, but it is a new wrinkle on the situation.

If they have a way to keep both then that's fine with me but as I said i think Belichick knew who he was getting with Amendola and knows he played through a nasty injury and knows he will be a much much better player when he is healthy. I have no problemw with sane people having a sane discussion about it, unfortunately it will also draw in the psycho's and i simply cannot wade through any more of that.

If they have a way to keep both then that's fine with me but as I said i think Belichick knew who he was getting with Amendola and knows he played through a nasty injury and knows he will be a much much better player when he is healthy. I have no problemw with sane people having a sane discussion about it, unfortunately it will also draw in the psycho's and i simply cannot wade through any more of that.

I thought you didn't want to write about this yet you're all over this thread.

Here's a thought:

CUT DANNY AMENDOLA! ;)

DA isn't going anywhere, after all the crap that went on over this signing he isn't going anyway next year, that would be admitting to total failure on BB and I don't see him doing it. This isn't a Brandon LLoyd situation, AD replaced welker so no way BB gets him gone next year.

Danny Amendola - Cap Scenarios
By:

Right now, Danny Amendola's 2014 cap number is $4,575,000 which ...

Great article and amazing detail in outlining the options the Patriots have.

In an effort not to post the same thing over and over followed by 8 million posts which would upset some of our more sensitive posters who are currently sharing a milk shake with Danny Amendola at the local Friendly’s I will say that I think that the Patriots will use these options to leverage Amendola to restructure and if he chooses not to do so then I would expect Belichick and the Patriots to part ways with Amendola; he is a solid player but he is not worth $4.5 against the cap and $5.7 annually. This past season Amendola received $8.5 million in cash from the Patriots organization which is about $157,407 per reception.

I would expect Amendola to restructure; I do not think he would command much attention on this season free agent market, he hit 2013s market on a high note and took advantage of a weak market of WRs coupled with the Patriots having a huge hole to fill. Entering his 7th season as a pro with 9 career touchdowns he is unlikely to net him more than a 1 year prove it deal on the open market with a team that has less chance of winning a title than the Patriots. Having seen what happened with Brandon Lloyd who was met with similar circumstances after a more productive 2012 I would also suggest that will be something Amendola and his agent will have to consider; granted Amendola is younger but Lloyd did not have nearly the durability concerns.

Overall this is good news for the Patriots as it gives them options to retain Edelman, despite what some may believe I am not Anti-Amendola, I am however against the idea of retaining both Amendola and Edelman. I feel that is redundant and a duplication of resources, if we did not have to allocate a duplication of our resources to a 2nd TE due to the Hernandez situation I would be more accepting of the idea but I feel it would be in the best interest of the team to commit to one primary slot receiver either Edelman or Amendola and then use the money on improving the WR-Y with a player that can add an additional dynamic to our offense. On some levels I think the Patriots are met with the same dilemma with whether to commit to Blount this season knowing that Ridley and Vereen are going to be a UFA next year, as well as the Talib situation with McCourty going into free agency in 2015.

DA isn't going anywhere, after all the crap that went on over this signing he isn't going anyway next year, that would be admitting to total failure on BB and I don't see him doing it. This isn't a Brandon LLoyd situation, AD replaced welker so no way BB gets him gone next year.

That's a great point. On play and production DA would be gone, but pride might get in the way.

I don’t think Belichick cares about that, all that really matters is he replaced Welker which he did with Edelman for the most part.

I think this Talib hit is overblown, Belichick was asked what he thought of his CB being knocked out of the game on a pick that likely broke a rib, to which he responded “one of the worst plays I’ve seen”. I am not exactly sure what he could have said? I thought it was a great play I would like to see more of my CBs get injured on picks by WRs, or that’s what we really missed this season without Welker are those great plays that knock CBs out of the game. He didn’t say it was a dirty play he said it was a bad play, which could have been because his CB lacked the awareness to see the pick coming, because it was overly aggressive by Welker or just because it was a ****ty play that was really bad across the board for the Patriots. Was it the worst plays he saw in that game, in his life, I mean people took a pretty reasonable and short response by a guy who generally doesn’t give a ton of detail and ran with it like he called Welker a punk and his wife a whore.

Any way like I said if ridding the team of Amendola is the best move Belichick will do it and the correlation to Welker will have NO impact at all in my opinion. I don’t know that he will cut ties with Amendola, he may feel Amendola can still be the player he signed in which case I expect to see Amendola back, if he determines he is not than he will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents