Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will DannY Amendola be playing for the Patriots next year?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Starting for the Patriots or released?

starting slot receiver.

He's had an interrupted year. Showed some real glimpses for sure. Would be amazed if he's cut.

Edelman isn't signed to the team next year and 3 or 4 per year maybe too much for the team.

starting slot receiver.

He's had an interrupted year. Showed some real glimpses for sure. Would be amazed if he's cut.

Edelman isn't signed to the team next year and 3 or 4 per year maybe too much for the team.

I think primetime had it right when he said 5 million a year, and combined with his PR skills he has a shot at it, the things working against him are the undervaluation of the slot receiver and that this would be the only really good year of his career as a receiver, but teams pay for youth and potential and he has both on his side, even though he's almost as old as Amendola. He's a great athlete and he's turning himself into a good receiver, hopefully they can keep him but if they have the same attitude about how they are allocating their money then it will be tough.

Isn't this a bit of a loaded question since the Patriots are basically forced to keep Amendola through the 2014 season at a minimum, just due to the dead cap hit alone?

A 5/29 contract structure is going to take at least 2 years to get into the benefit zone, so obviously there's a tremendously high chance that he will be staying for at least 2014 at the very bare minimum.

Attempting to judge a player on the fact that he's started and played in 6 real games so far (assuming that most reasonable people won't hold the 7th game vs N.Orleans where he was knocked cold and removed from the game against him), and "only" done well in 3/6 is kind of weak in the first place, but that's just my opinion. If the 2014 season comes and goes and it's THAT obvious that he isn't earning his money, then they'd probably just go to him and ask him to take a pay cut anyway. If he's anywhere close to halfway intelligent he will realize that it's that obvious for the other 31 teams too, and that his best chance would be to stay in N.England.

As for Edelman's contract prediction---he isn't going to go from 700k and zero attention on the open market aside from one other team with the same offer to suddenly making something in the 5 million AAV range. There would most likely be a stop in the 2.5 to 3 million dollar AAV range for another 1-2 yrs, which would put him on par with the Emmanual Sanders' of the world.

Anyone who honestly feels that way is likely one of those people who were stating that Wes Welker was going to make 40 or 50 million dollars on the open market, while the rest of us had the early-mid 20's as his limit. They aren't taking into account the market for proven slot receivers, let alone ones who have had one decent year out of 5.

Isn't this a bit of a loaded question since the Patriots are basically forced to keep Amendola through the 2014 season at a minimum, just due to the dead cap hit alone?

A 5/29 contract structure is going to take at least 2 years to get into the benefit zone, so obviously there's a tremendously high chance that he will be staying for at least 2014 at the very bare minimum.

Attempting to judge a player on the fact that he's started and played in 6 real games so far (assuming that most reasonable people won't hold the 7th game vs N.Orleans where he was knocked cold and removed from the game against him), and "only" done well in 3/6 is kind of weak in the first place, but that's just my opinion. If the 2014 season comes and goes and it's THAT obvious that he isn't earning his money, then they'd probably just go to him and ask him to take a pay cut anyway. If he's anywhere close to halfway intelligent he will realize that it's that obvious for the other 31 teams too, and that his best chance would be to stay in N.England.

As for Edelman's contract prediction---he isn't going to go from 700k and zero attention on the open market aside from one other team with the same offer to suddenly making something in the 5 million AAV range. There would most likely be a stop in the 2.5 to 3 million dollar AAV range for another 1-2 yrs, which would put him on par with the Emmanual Sanders' of the world.

Anyone who honestly feels that way is likely one of those people who were stating that Wes Welker was going to make 40 or 50 million dollars on the open market, while the rest of us had the early-mid 20's as his limit. They aren't taking into account the market for proven slot receivers, let alone ones who have had one decent year out of 5.

Yes, it's a loaded question, but then again so is option 3, which got my vote.

I agree, Amendola is going nowhere, and that being the case he has nothing to do with the Edelman contract unles they feel their skill sets are too redundant, in which case Amendola stays and Edelman goes. Both were free agents last offseason and Belichick made his decision then he is not going to turn around and cut Amendola and lose millions to pay Edelman, if he keeps Edelman it will be because he has seen enough growth and likes what he brings as an all around player. It won't be about Amendola.

I am pretty sure Edelman is making considerable more than 700,000 but would have to check Miguel's page to know.

I agree, judging Amendola already makes no sense, wait until the end otf next season.

I don’t think that Amendola having the cap hit that he does assure him a place on this team. We have cut players before that underperformed even it resulted in short term cap hit, these players all had $1 million plus hits against our 2013 cap and did not make the roster:

Aaron Hernandez
Brandon Lloyd
Jonathan Fanene
Adrian Wilson (IR)
Chad Johnson
Ras-I Dowling

If Belichick is not the type to be handcuffed by a cap number.

I don’t think that Amendola having the cap hit that he does assure him a place on this team. We have cut players before that underperformed even it resulted in short term cap hit, these players all had $1 million plus hits against our 2013 cap and did not make the roster:

Aaron Hernandez In Jail out of football
Brandon Lloyd Saved $3,000,000 out of football
Jonathan Fanene injury out of football working to get back bonus
Adrian Wilson (IR) Duh
Chad Johnson Out of football
Ras-I Dowling jets practice squad cost $350,000

You could at least try and come up with some legitimate comparisons. If you think D.A. will be out of football next year I guess that is fair, but you don't. The only even close comparison is Chad Johnson, but it wasn't that he was injured, he sucked.

You could at least try and come up with some legitimate comparisons. If you think D.A. will be out of football next year I guess that is fair, but you don't.

I'm pointing out that salary cap implications do not dictate the decisions that Belichick makes, he does what he thinks will position the team best to win.

I'm not comparing the players just pointing out their cap figures.

The guy is toughing it out with a torn groin...not a slight tear, one where the muscle came off the bone...likely a surgery after season. Give the guy a break...

Aaron Hernandez
Brandon Lloyd
Jonathan Fanene
Adrian Wilson (IR)
Chad Johnson
Ras-I Dowling

Wait. Now you're trolling us. Comparing those names to DA as if they were even remotely similar.
dog-punches-guy.gif

Wait. Now you're trolling us. Comparing those names to DA as if they were even remotely similar.
dog-punches-guy.gif

If I was comparing them as players I would have said Amendola is just like these players and then listed them, I did not do that. What I did was point out players in 2013 that hit our cap and were not on the active roster, the purpose of me doing this was to highlight that just because a player has a certain cap figure does not preclude them from being released if Belichick feels it is the right decision for the team.

Aaron Hernandez
Brandon Lloyd
Jonathan Fanene
Adrian Wilson (IR)
Chad Johnson
Ras-I Dowling

We get it. You hate Danny Amendola. It doesn't mean you can go to ridiculous lengths to support your argument to cut him.

Comparing cutting Amendola to cutting Hernandez is probably the most ridiculous thing I have seen on this board in a while. Hernandez was cut because he is a murderer. There was no normal circumstance imaginable that the Pats would have cut Hernandez. Unless Amendola kills someone, I don't see that comparison remotely relevant.

The Fanene comparison is almost as ridiculous. Fanene was cut because he lied about his medical situation and was unable to play. The Pats also filed a grievance to get back all money given to him.

Ras I Dowling was in his rookie contract in his third year. When you factor in his salary saved ($732k), his cap hit of a $1 is offset quite a bit. It is still a far $6.8 million cap hit for cutting Amendola.

Cutting players like Brandon Lloyd and Chad Ochocinco had minimal cap ramifications. Lloyd had a lot of his money tied to a bonus that was going to paid in his second year which he never received.

I don't know why you are comparing players who were cut with dead money of more than a $1 million when Amendola's dead money if cut is $6.8 million. How is a guy like Dowling who had $1 million of dead money remotely the same as Amendola with $6.8 million of dead money if cut in 2014?

If I was comparing them as players I would have said Amendola is just like these players and then listed them, I did not do that. What I did was point out players in 2013 that hit our cap and were not on the active roster, the purpose of me doing this was to highlight that just because a player has a certain cap figure does not preclude them from being released if Belichick feels it is the right decision for the team.

Are you seriously going to argue this? Do you think the Pats would have said "we can take the over $11 million cap hit over the next two years for cutting Hernandez" if he was just under performing rather than killing one of his friends? Do you think the Pats would have cut Fanene if they didn't think they could recoup some or all of the bonus money paid out in a grievance?

Your argument failed because you took situations with extraordinary circumstances and other situations with players cut with much less dead money and trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

I'm pointing out that salary cap implications do not dictate the decisions that Belichick makes, he does what he thinks will position the team best to win.

Perhaps you should start 10 or 12 new worthless threads now instead of commenting anymore in this one.

We have cut players before that underperformed even it resulted in short term cap hit, these players all had $1 million plus hits against our 2013 cap and did not make the roster:

Aaron Hernandez
Brandon Lloyd
Jonathan Fanene
Adrian Wilson (IR)
Chad Johnson
Ras-I Dowling

Hernandez underperformed?

Brandon Lloyd cap hit?

if Lloyd was cut before the option bonus is due the Patriots would only absorb a dead money hit of $2 million which would represent a cap savings of $2.5 million dollars not the loss of cap dollars I have listed on his page. Cutting him also saves them of $5 million in cash obligations which makes him a prime candidate to be released especially with such other appealing options on the open market. The Patriots have been active in free agency or trades when addressing the wide receiver position in the past going back to trading for Wes Welker and Randy Moss to the recent signing of Lloyd. Given the fact that Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Dwayne Bowe, and Victor Cruz will all hit the open market in a few weeks and that the Patriots have ample cap room to work with cutting Lloyd makes alot of sense for the team.

Clarifications on the Patriots Contract with WR Brandon Lloyd - Over the Cap

Chad who? Oh, you mean Ochostinko.

Good ole Bill asked him to restructure, then cut him a few months later saving 2 million.

You should apologize to Danny for mentioning him in the same breath.

Amendola had more impact in one game, half of which he was playing with a torn abductor muscle, than Ocho had his career here.

Jonathan Fanene

When did he play? They sued him.

Adrian Wilson (IR)

Answered your own question

Ras I Dowling?

When did he play through injuries? When did he have any impact games?

According to Patscap.com, Dowling's release carries about $715,000 in dead money for 2013, and about $590,000 for 2014, but, on the whole, it does slightly reduce the reduce the Patriots' 2013 cap hit.

Flailing away in your vendetta.

There's a reason BB is the best coach/GM ever in the salary cap era. Note my entry on ochocinco. In February after his crap season Belichick got him to restructure his contract. In June he cut him saving 2 million dollars. He basically suckered him.

Belichick made a mistake signing ocho, he makes very few. Amendola has a great attitude, caught on to the system right away, made an impact right away and has played through a serious injury. In other words, he is a prototypical Belichick player.

We get it. You hate Danny Amendola. It doesn't mean you can go to ridiculous lengths to support your argument to cut him.

Comparing cutting Amendola to cutting Hernandez is probably the most ridiculous thing I have seen on this board in a while. Hernandez was cut because he is a murderer. There was no normal circumstance imaginable that the Pats would have cut Hernandez. Unless Amendola kills someone, I don't see that comparison remotely relevant.

The Fanene comparison is almost as ridiculous. Fanene was cut because he lied about his medical situation and was unable to play. The Pats also filed a grievance to get back all money given to him.

Ras I Dowling was in his rookie contract in his third year. When you factor in his salary saved ($732k), his cap hit of a $1 is offset quite a bit. It is still a far $6.8 million cap hit for cutting Amendola.

Cutting players like Brandon Lloyd and Chad Ochocinco had minimal cap ramifications. Lloyd had a lot of his money tied to a bonus that was going to paid in his second year which he never received.

I don't know why you are comparing players who were cut with dead money of more than a $1 million when Amendola's dead money if cut is $6.8 million. How is a guy like Dowling who had $1 million of dead money remotely the same as Amendola with $6.8 million of dead money if cut in 2014?

I don’t hate Amendola at all, I don’t hate anyone I have never met and I have never met Amendola. I do not think he is worth his current contract and I do not think he even 75% the player Welker was during his time here but let me reiterate I do not hate him. I am also not lobbying for him to be released, my personal preference would be to see restructure.

As far as comparing the players I was not comparing players, I listed the players who hit our cap for $1 million or more during the 2013 year. That’s all I did, I was not comparing the players in any way, shape or form. The point is that every year for a magnitude of reason Belichick releases players that impact the salary cap so if he felt it was in the best interest of the team to move away from Danny Amendola he would do so regardless of his cap figure.

There's a reason BB is the best coach/GM ever in the salary cap era. Note my entry on ochocinco. In February after his crap season Belichick got him to restructure his contract. In June he cut him saving 2 million dollars. He basically suckered him.

Belichick made a mistake signing ocho, he makes very few. Amendola has a great attitude, caught on to the system right away, made an impact right away and has played through a serious injury. In other words, he is a prototypical Belichick player.

I agree and I am not saying Amendola will be cut but I think it’s a possibility. If the team was unwilling to retain Lloyd at $3 million a season I could see reason to believe that Amendola who projects for about 50%-60% the production of Lloyd in 2012 would be at risk for a similar fate.

What I am saying is if Amendola returns to this team in 2014 it is because Belichick is happy with him as a member of this team and not because he has a high salary cap hit.

Hernandez underperformed?

Brandon Lloyd cap hit?

Clarifications on the Patriots Contract with WR Brandon Lloyd - Over the Cap

Chad who? Oh, you mean Ochostinko.

Good ole Bill asked him to restructure, then cut him a few months later saving 2 million.

You should apologize to Danny for mentioning him in the same breath.

Amendola had more impact in one game, half of which he was playing with a torn abductor muscle, than Ocho had his career here.

Jonathan Fanene

When did he play? They sued him.

Adrian Wilson (IR)

Answered your own question

Ras I Dowling?

When did he play through injuries? When did he have any impact games?

Flailing away in your vendetta.

My vendetta :lol2: you take this game way to seriously, you know sports are supposed to be fun and being a fan is supposed to enjoyable right? I do not have any vendetta, I just don’t believe that Belichick lets the salary cap dictate who he keeps if they’re underperforming. If Belichick based things on salary cap figures you’d see the following:

Kyle Arrington starting over Dennard at right cornerback
Logan Ryan starting over Dennard at right cornerback
Tavon Wilson ahead of Harmon on the depth chart
Josh Boyce ahead of Thompkins on the depth chart
Will Svitek starting over Cannon at right tackle
Leon Washington would be our #1 RB
Jake Bequette would be ahead of Andre Carter and Michael Buchanan

These are all the players that affected our cap in 2013:

Status Player Salary Signing Bonus Offseason Workout Bonus 2013 Cap Hit 2014 Cap Hit
Waived Aaron Hernandez $984,000 $2,550,000 $232,800 $3,776,800 $7,500,000
Released Brandon Lloyd $3,500,000 $3,500,000
Released Jonathan Fanene $2,566,667 $2,566,667
Released Chad Johnson $1,583,334 $1,583,334
Waived Ras-I Dowling $351,377 $589,382 $125,000 $1,065,759 $589,382
Released Leon Washington $360,000 $360,000
Reached Injury Settlement Jermaine Cunningham $37,059 $309,375 $346,434
Released Daniel Fells $333,333 $333,333 $333,334
Waived Sergio Brown $250,000 $250,000
Waived Brandon Deaderick $250,000 $250,000
Released Kyle Love $250,000 $250,000
Released Dan Koppen $175,000 $175,000
Reached Injury Settlement Anthony Rashad White $169,412 $169,412
Released Jabar Gaffney $125,000 $125,000
Released Spencer Larsen $125,000 $125,000
Reached Injury Settlement Brandon Ford $101,647 $1,000 $102,647 $2,000
Released Lavelle Hawkins $75,000 $25,000 $100,000 $75,000
Reached Injury Settlement Chris McDonald $67,765 $1,666 $69,431 $3,334
Reached Injury Settlement R.J. Mattes $67,765 $67,765
Reached Injury Settlement Johnathan Haggerty $50,824 $50,824
Waived Zoltan Mesko $46,814 $46,814
Waived Jeremy Ebert $36,150 $36,150
Reached Injury Settlement Justin Francis $35,647 $2,333 $37,980 $2,334
Reached Injury Settlement Kamar Aiken $35,648 $35,648
Released Nick McDonald $6,668 $20,000 $26,668
Waived Braxston Cave $23,824 $23,824
Released Michael Jenkins $15,000 $15,000
Released Marquise Cole $15,000 $15,000
Waived Jeremiah Warren $12,000 $12,000
Waived Josh Kline $10,000 $1,333 $11,333 $2,667
Waived Mike Rivera $10,000 $10,000
Traded Jeff Demps $7,334 $7,334
Waived Marcus Forston $6,667 $6,667
Waived Kanorris Davis $5,000 $1,666 $6,666 $3,334
Waived Ben Bartholomew $3,333 $3,333 $6,667
Waived Matt Stankiewitch $2,500 $833 $3,333 $1,667
Waived Kyle Hix $3,000 $3,000
Waived Brad Herman $1,667 $1,667
Waived Dewayne Cherrington $1,000 $333 $1,333 $667
Waived Brandon Jones $1,166 $1,166 $2,334
Waived Mike Zupanic $666 $666 $1,334

I agree and I am not saying Amendola will be cut but I think it’s a possibility. If the team was unwilling to retain Lloyd at $3 million a season I could see reason to believe that Amendola who projects for about 50%-60% the production of Lloyd in 2012 would be at risk for a similar fate.

What I am saying is if Amendola returns to this team in 2014 it is because Belichick is happy with him as a member of this team and not because he has a high salary cap hit.

Lloyd

if Lloyd was cut before the option bonus is due the Patriots would only absorb a dead money hit of $2 million which would represent a cap savings of $2.5 million dollars not the loss of cap dollars I have listed on his page. Cutting him also saves them of $5 million in cash obligations which makes him a prime candidate to be released

Why wouldn't Belichick be happy with him? First game out he got 10 receptions and came back with a serious injury.

What is it about him, considering BB went after him, that BB would be unhappy about.

By your logic, he should have cut Gronk because he has had so many injuries. Ans Gronk's injury happened about a year ago, not in the first game of the year.

Other than an injury, there is absolutely nothing for Amendola to be cut about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents