PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan Wetzel:This is what it feels like to be on the wrong side of a Tom Brady comeback

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tone of the article is upbeat. Mr. Jack seems to be in good spirits all things considered.

Great read.

Again, I don't know what people are talking about with the "3 quarters of excellence". The Jags completely lost their cool at the end of the first half which led to the Pats hanging around. They had basically a minute left with two time outs and took two knees instead of trying to get into field goal range. Right there they were playing not to lose...so obvious was their lack of testicular fortitude that the Pats home crowd booed the Jags off the field.

I like the analogy of the opponents chances sliding like a sandcastle into the sea.

A nice article, and decent comment from the Jags players who must have been hurting at the time...

Again, I don't know what people are talking about with the "3 quarters of excellence". The Jags completely lost their cool at the end of the first half which led to the Pats hanging around. They had basically a minute left with two time outs and took two knees instead of trying to get into field goal range. Right there they were playing not to lose...so obvious was their lack of testicular fortitude that the Pats home crowd booed the Jags off the field.
Yep. You aren't going to beat NE sitting on the football. You need to score as many points as possible.

Yep. You aren't going to beat NE sitting on the football. You need to score as many points as possible.

To me it was more a sign they didnt trust bortles to go down the field and get points with that little time left. Not to mention if he threw an interception or fumbled it might have killed his confidence

Yeah. I couldn't understand it. I thought of John Madden saying that Brady should "just take a knee" at the end of XXXVI with no Time Outs and time running out with the ball inside their own 20. "Knee? Hell no, we're here to win the game."

Same thing yesterday. "Try to put up three (or maybe seven) more points with a minute to go and two time outs? Hell no, we're just happy to be here."

The Jags had made it to "A Big Game," they represented themselves well for most of the half, they were getting the ball back in one (by the clock) minute. So, they decided to enjoy the moment when even a FG with another possession after halftime would have told the Patriots, "We're here to beat you at your own game."

And this, we should never take for granted. We'll never see this level of greatness again.
What happened yesterday does not take place with mere mortal QBs. Security blankets were gone, 12 stitches in his thumb, Lewis looked to have fumbled the last best chance away. “Refuse to Lose” is a catch phrase, but it is in Brady’s DNA. Whatever it takes. A flea flicker to frigging Dorsett, he and Amendola become the best duo since Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers. We may take it for granted, but savor it. There will be no second act after TB12 departs the stage.

To me it was more a sign they didnt trust bortles to go down the field and get points with that little time left. Not to mention if he threw an interception or fumbled it might have killed his confidence
Thats exactly what happened and why they lost.

You can't leave any bullets left in the chamber. You need to attack, attack and attack some more.

If they played like they did vs Pitt they would have won.

Spot on.

You dont beat the Pats being passive.

yup, a FG there and all they would have needed was a FG at the end

The legend is so big at this point that people are starting to enjoy having Brady lead a comeback against them.

We are Patiots fans do talk about how silly it is that so many fans HATE Brady so much (more than actual criminals even). But if I was on the other end of it seeing him do this to my team over and over again I probably wouldn't be his biggest fan either to be honest.

Thats exactly what happened and why they lost.

You can't leave any bullets left in the chamber. You need to attack, attack and attack some more.

If they played like they did vs Pitt they would have won.
THey did play like they did against Pitt. They were aggressive, reacted well to our mistakes. The difference is we made a lot fewer mistakes than Pittsburgh made. We are a more disciplined, far better coached team and we don't give our opponent's defense a chance to get good field position on us very often. And the Jaguars absolutely needed good field position to make the best of Bortles.

This is how the Jaguars work. The defense gets stops and gives Bortles good field position, and Bortles capitalizes on it with a few home run passes over the course of the game. It's exactly the game plan Tim Teblow and his Broncos used to get just as far a few years ago. When you have a talented but inconsistent quarterback, you use your defense to shorten the field for him. We took that away from the Jags by not making mistakes and by playing the field position game better than they did, and that was our biggest key to victory in the end.

As it was they played well, they forced a turnover and were physical and made us work for it. I give the Jaguars a lot of credit for a great game played. It wasn't good enough to beat us, but few things are -- they made their team look good at the end of the day.

As Tommy Jackson said last night, "The Pats know they can win when down in the 4th Qtr and so does the other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes