PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

D 14.8 Points a game, tops in AFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosslost

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I know this has been covered, and the competition has not been that good. It will be interesting though if the Bengals are held to a low score. Then we see how we do against the Steelers who are an offensive machine. It's funny because when I watch the games I am finding myself fustrated with the Defense it seems. I think the pressure that a Brady led offense will put on the other team by scoring lots of points could help the defense tremendously. I would love the D to have a great year. At 14.8 points against per game the Pats won't lose too many of these games with this offense.

This defense looks very good to me. And I agree with a previous poster that they'll be better with Brady at the controls moving the chains, putting points on the board.

The Bungles will be a decent yardstick with their backs, AJ Green, and the Red Rifle. The Bengals offensive line sucks this year - 17 sacks allowed in 5 games. Eifert would be a huge boost for them this week, but he's out last I saw. Belichick and Patricia will probably keep two guys on Green, and smack Hill and Gio Bernard around on every play. The Bengals will score some points, but I don't expect them to get into the 20s, especially if the Patriots get out to a two-score lead.

Our D still does not pass the eye test, and stats wise they are a horrible red zone D.

I'd like to see this d step up and make more plays. More sacks, interceptions, tackles for loss, forced fumbles. QB hits
I do agree that this defense hasn't been making enough plays. The sack level is down, and it's lacking big explosive plays.

It's just something to improve on, though. Nothing that can't be fixed.

I do agree that this defense hasn't been making enough plays. The sack level is down, and it's lacking big explosive plays.

It's just something to improve on, though. Nothing that can't be fixed.

I wanna see more pressure tomorrow. I wanna see long have a good game. Also have they used mingo as a pass rusher?

Our D still does not pass the eye test, and stats wise they are a horrible red zone D.

I'd like to see this d step up and make more plays. More sacks, interceptions, tackles for loss, forced fumbles. QB hits

Team has given up 9 TDs in 55 drives. Meaning they've only allowed a TD on 16% of their drives. You and others can sit there a whine about sacks and interceptions and QB hits but if they were to finish with an average of 14-15 points allowed per game and were last in sacks and interceptions and I couldn't care less.

Also the red zone thing is tad overrated. They've only allowed 10 red zone trips. Minnesota has allowed 11 red zone trips and all I hear about Minnesota is how they are the best D in the league right now. Difference is Pats have given up 8 TD and Minnesota has given up 7 TD in the red zone but I bet you wouldn't say Minnesota sucks in the red zone, right?

See the problem I have with your "doesn't pass the eye test" comment is for ARGUMENT'S SAKE say they didn't fall asleep against the lolphins after they went up 31-3 and were just looking to see out the game. Say lolphins don't score those 2 TD in the 4th quarter when they were down 31-10 because the Pats didn't have a rookie QB in his first game and couldn't really move the ball in the 2nd half other than a 1 yard pass that the TE turned into a 40 yard gain and the only time you did move the ball was when you decided to hand it off to your RB with 5 minutes left in the game. Say the Browns don't score when it was 30-7 in the 4th quarter but both got into the red zone those 3 times. That would put the Pats red zone defense at 5 for 10 (50%) which would have the Pats at only 6 TD allowed through 5 games and now for ARGUMENT'S SAKE let me go further and say Pats don't allow those 3 red zone trips when they were up double digits in the 4th quarter. That would have the Pats allowing only 7 red zone trips in 5 games you would really sit there and say allowing only 7 red zone trips, 5 red zone TD and 1 non-red zone TD that was a 25 yard TD "doesn't pass the eye test"?

Because if you did still say that "doesn't pass the eye test" you would be saying that allowing 11 points per game doesn't pass the eye test. Which is batshit insane.

Last edited:
FYI Jabaal Sheard is #2 in the league in hurries tied with Aaron Donald and only Melvin Ingram is ahead but Sheard and Donald have only played 5 games, Ingram has played 6

Team has given up 9 TDs in 55 drives. Meaning they've only allowed a TD on 16% of their drives. You and others can sit there a whine about sacks and interceptions and QB hits but if they keep up that pace they could finish with an average of 14-15 points allowed per game and are last in sacks and interceptions and I couldn't care less.

Also the red zone thing is tad overrated. They've only allowed 10 red zone trips. Minnesota has allowed 11 red zone trips and all I hear about Minnesota is how they are the best D in the league right now. Difference is Pats have given up 8 TD and Minnesota has given up 7 TD in the red zone but I bet you wouldn't say Minnesota's sucks in the red zone, right?

See the problem I have with your "doesn't pass the eye test" comment is for ARGUMENT'S SAKE say they didn't fall asleep against the lolphins after they went up 31-3 and were just looking to see out the game. Say lolphins don't score those 2 TD in the 4th quarter when they were down 31-10 because the Pats didn't have a rookie QB in his first game and couldn't really move the ball in the 2nd half other than a 1 yard pass that the TE turned into a 40 yard gain and the only time you did move the ball was when you decided to hand it off to your RB with 5 minutes left in the game. Say the Browns don't score when it was 30-7 in the 4th quarter but both got into the red zone those 3 times. That would put the Pats red zone defense at 5 for 10 (50%) which would have the Pats at only 6 TD allowed through 5 games and now for ARGUMENT'S SAKE let me go further and say Pats don't allow those 3 red zone trips when they were up double digits in the 4th quarter, that would have the Pats allowing only 7 red zone trips in 5 games you would really sit there and say "doesn't pass the eye test"?

I wanna see how this defense play's when our offense struggles. I am still worried about the lack of pressure.

I wanna see how this defense play's when our offense struggles. I am still worried about the lack of pressure.

The "lack of pressure" is overblown. Sacks isn't the only stat that matters in that department. Also, the 2014 defense didn't exactly set the world on fire in terms of getting pressure on the QB, but it was good enough to win a SB.

Contrary to popular belief on this forum, no team can be dominant in every phase of the game. It's impossible to build a team that is perfect in all areas due to the salary cap. The fact is, the Pats are the best and most complete team in the NFL, and if healthy, there's no team in the league that can compete. Bill has done an excellent job of building this team.

So now that you've been enlightened, you should go out and celebrate, for you are a fan of the team that will win a SB this season, barring significant injuries.

Our defense is extremely solid. The biggest concern is the lack of interception particularly from our corners. Logan Ryan lack of speed cuts his potential int in half and Butler seems allergic to altogether. I like them both but I wouldn't mind having a Samuel part 2 as one of our corners.

You have already seen that. How about no points in 4 quarters, is that struggling enough?

Ask any defensive coach or player the SINGLE most importatnt stat-and theyll all tell you the same thing-POINTS ALLOWED. The Patriots are #2 in the afc in pts allowed. They are also #3 in the afc(#5 in the nfl) in giveaway/takeaway, another major indicator of success. All this whining about red zone d is bs as well. So they rank 30th in red zone td pct-but THEYVE ONLY ALLOWED 10 RED ZONE TRIPS-THAT IS #2 IN THE ENTIRE NFL. Again,knucleheads its about POINTS. This is right now a top 5 nfl defense. And thats despite missing Hightower and Nink. Jeez, get a grip y'all.

Ask any defensive coach or player the SINGLE most importatnt stat-and theyll all tell you the same thing-POINTS ALLOWED. The Patriots are #2 in the afc in pts allowed. They are also #3 in the afc(#5 in the nfl) in giveaway/takeaway, another major indicator of success. All this whining about red zone d is bs as well. So they rank 30th in red zone td pct-but THEYVE ONLY ALLOWED 10 RED ZONE TRIPS-THAT IS #2 IN THE ENTIRE NFL. Again,knucleheads its about POINTS. This is right now a top 5 nfl defense. And thats despite missing Hightower and Nink. Jeez, get a grip y'all.

Points for:

Cardinals - 9th
Dolphins - 28th
Texans - 32nd
Bills - 14th
Browns - 29th

That matters too, as do a lot of other things. If it was just about points, we could lie to one another and pretend that the 2011 defense was a middle of the road squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST