PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

D 14.8 Points a game, tops in AFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimately it was the offense that lost that SB.
While the offense definitely didn't play their best that game (turnovers, dropped passes, etc.), the offense still put the team in position to have the lead when the Giants took over around their own 12 yard line with less than 4 minutes to play. All the defense had to do was not let them score (they were up by 2 IIRC).

I blame the offense for that SB loss. Yeah the D failed them when they needed them. However they only gave up 19 points (safety) and just 2 TD's. Also they held them to 2 second half field goals on drives instead of 6. They were not good on D but the Offense should have won that SB for them.
It just goes to show how razor thin the margin for error is. The defense came up huge against the Seahawks (Butler pick) when the offense had played much better. In both Giants Super Bowl losses, the offense played below their usually level, but the defense still gave up the plays when it mattered. It shows just how much a team game it truly is.
It is great that the Pats have 4 SB titles and a great shot at number 5 this year. Go Pats.

The 2014 Bengals had Eifert, Jeremy Hill was playing healthy, and were much better in pass protection. Eifert is an elite red zone threat, and Jones came into today leading the NFL in receiving yards. He was a huge element of their passing attack the last couple years.

I agree with the general point that complaints about the defense are being overblown here, but this particular argument doesn't hold water IMO.

And we were missing one of the best LBs in the league.

And we were missing one of the best LBs in the league.

Yes, you already mentioned that and it's not really the point. The point is that the 2016 Bengals offense is much worse than the 2014 Bengals offense, so making a direct comparison between those games doesn't tell you much.

Yes, you already mentioned that and it's not really the point. The point is that the 2016 Bengals offense is much worse than the 2014 Bengals offense, so making a direct comparison between those games doesn't tell you much.

They finished with 22.8 PPG that year. Stop pretending there was a significant difference between their offense in 2014 and their offense this season. They'll likely finish this season with a similar PPG.

Rather than raw points allowed I think it would be interesting to see a "points allowed vs teams' average". The problem with PA is that it doesn't tell you if your good PA is because your D is playing well or if you're just playing a bunch of teams with crappy O.

The idea would be this: For each opponent compute that team's average points scored against everyone else except you. Then subtract that average from the points you allowed to that team. If you allowed a team more than its average this number will be positive. If you allowed a team less than its average this number will be negative. Obviously negative is better. Once you've computed your number for each opponent you've played, sum them up for your total stat. The lower the number is, the better.

Not claiming this is perfect. (For one thing, if you want to judge defenses you want to remove the other teams' defensive scores so that you're just looking at what an opponent's offense was able to score.) But I'm pretty sure it'd give you more info than just points allowed does.

I admit I drink the Kool-Aid.

As I understand it, BB "suggests" that every game is a total team effort (Offense, Defensive, Special Teams, and Coaching) and that the specific match ups and coaching adjustments are essential for winning football. The margin to victory is razor thin. On any given Sunday any NFL team can win. Winning a game on Sunday is greatly helped with a good week of preparation and practice.

It's not sexy, but I believe this. That said, I think this Defense is quite good, a nice mixture of core stars, motivated veteran FAs, and strong rookie signings.

And, oh, yeah, we are 5-1 with a TB12 suspension! THIS is why the "Lesser 31 Owners" hate us.

Rather than raw points allowed I think it would be interesting to see a "points allowed vs teams' average". The problem with PA is that it doesn't tell you if your good PA is because your D is playing well or if you're just playing a bunch of teams with crappy O.

The idea would be this: For each opponent compute that team's average points scored against everyone else except you. Then subtract that average from the points you allowed to that team. If you allowed a team more than its average this number will be positive. If you allowed a team less than its average this number will be negative. Obviously negative is better. Once you've computed your number for each opponent you've played, sum them up for your total stat. The lower the number is, the better.

Not claiming this is perfect. (For one thing, if you want to judge defenses you want to remove the other teams' defensive scores so that you're just looking at what an opponent's offense was able to score.) But I'm pretty sure it'd give you more info than just points allowed does.
Try it. Take the Bengals I just did what you said and it is interesting.. Bengals average 18.1 PPG this season. We held them to 17. Love to be able to automate this stat. You created a cool stat.

EDIT:
Bills 27PPG, Pats held to 16
Texans 18 PPG, Pats held to 0
Browns 18.8 PPG, Pats held to 13
Arizona 25PPG, Pats held to 21
Dolphins 19.6 PPG Pats held to 24

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes