PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran's Off Season Grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really see how one could disagree if improving the roster is the prism to view through. The roster wasn't good enough last year, and is worse this year. WR in particular is a huge problem. I a totally think front 7 will be an issue as well this year.

BUT...that said, I don't give them an F because the prism for me is "how to revamp the team and move on from an institution who WAS a transcendent player and prepare the franchise for future success. Tom wasn't good last year...full stop. Whether or was mental/trust/quitting on young players/decline I think we are going to find out but it doesn't change the fact that he just wasn't good enough to justify what his cap number would be.

So...we rebuild. And rebuild is exactly what is happening. To me it's a "B" only because I do think Reiss was onto something that the Pat's may be a bit too restrictive with thier draft criteria. I think we wasted some draft ammo.

Yeah, it was a bit strange, but they basically turned late 1 + two late 4s into early 2 + late 2, and potentially drafted five contributors.

It still perplexes me that they franchised Thuney and actually seem willing to let him play at that figure. That much cap tied up in 2 guards doesn't make sense to me. I thought for sure he was trade bait but I was wrong.
Billy mismanaged this just like he mismanaged Trey Flowers last off-season. Billy should’ve Franchised him and traded him to a desperate Coach that Patricia is and received more than a comp pick.

Thuney has rejected Billy’s offers. I see him just playing it out on the tag and then walking next off season.

Curran’s off-season grade: I give him a D- (gave him a little wiggle room to sink even lower to an F. I think he’s up to it).

Let’s preface this with “last year everyone thought we nailed the draft and off season and we were actually horrible”.

On paper (another caveat) this off season is an F.

1. Our amazing defense lost Collins, Ebner, Roberts, Shelton and Van Noy.

2. On defense the only sure thing upgrade we made was Dugger replacing Ebner. But in the draft he had multiple opportunities to get the guy considered the best safety in the draft and one of the better defensive players. So it’s hard to take that as a win..... AND Ebner was a 3rd safety. We extended McCourty. So unless you are assuming Belichick is wrong and both McCourty and Chung decline soon, then he’s basically just being groomed. Compound on top of that, secondary is far and away the strongest unit we have anyways.

3. WR was our weakest position last year. We lost Dorsett who was at least something stable for awhile. However we went into an amazing WR draft. We had draft capital to trade around. We let a whole WR run happen right before us and didn’t bother to get anyone and then obviously decided to be the first team to trade out of the first round. We signed two JAG’s who combine for 1027 yards despite both being on league for 5-6 years a piece.

4. We lost Collins who is a really good linebacker and Van Noy who is a really good linebacker. We got Uche and Jennings to the replace them. That’s not the worst thing. But they aren’t going to come out and be as good as those two right off the bat. You were better off trying to keep one of them (Van Noy)and then still drafting those guys. And you could have done it by not franchising Thuney.

5. The TE’s are basically projects like the last TE’s. Just slightly higher draft stock but not sure things. Probably not going to come out the gate as big time contributors even if they end up being good

6. I have nothing against the kicker’s talents. He was not a draft graded kicker. We spent a 5th on him. He would likely have been there in the 6th round.

7. You lost Tom Brady. I don’t care how you try to justify it. Any QB outside of Mahomes or Jackson is a clear downgrade. Stidham would be defying odds to adequately replace him and we need a good experienced QB with this offense

If you judge an off season by the degree the team improved, on paper the team got worse and is hoping a bunch of guys can be adequate replacements for some really good talent. That’s an F grade.

In the last 2 off seasons the team has added

Qb
Rb
Fb
5 wr
3 te
C
2 G
2 T

2 DT
2 DE
4 LB
3 S
1 cb

1 k
1 p

I’m excited to see the transition of these guys alongside the veterans.
I’ll wait until the games are played to grade.

So if you were HC, you'd keep one of Collins or Van Noy and dump Thuney?
Thuney is more valuable than either of those 2. He's the 2nd best player on the team, after Gilmore.
A great ol is worth more than a great lb.
In order of impact, it's #1 QB #2 OL and Secondary (tie).
If you don't get that, you're not paying attention the 2020 NFL.
I like both Collins and van noy, big contributors, but there's a limited amount of cap space. Keeping Thuney is a no- brainer. The only qualifier on that is if you're sure he's going to walk next year. Obviously, BB doesn't think that way.
The ol was devastated by injuries last year. Right now, this is a strong,deep unit.
We got a rookie QB. A strong ol is more important than flashy receivers for a young QBs growth. If you can't run the ball and are always under pressure doesn't matter who the wrs are.
You're dead wrong on that one. I agree about Brady, but it is what it is.
We needed younger safeties. Dmac is still great but Chung had lost a step. Dudes a warrior and he's beat up.
Dugger was a great pick. Now we have a return threat. He'll see spot duty at safety.
But he's the kind of athlete we need to handle the Mahomes,Jacksons, as well as speedy rbs,tes. So you're keeping the teams best unit elite and preparing for the future.

Let’s preface this with “last year everyone thought we nailed the draft and off season and we were actually horrible”.

On paper (another caveat) this off season is an F.

1. Our amazing defense lost Collins, Ebner, Roberts, Shelton and Van Noy.

2. On defense the only sure thing upgrade we made was Dugger replacing Ebner. But in the draft he had multiple opportunities to get the guy considered the best safety in the draft and one of the better defensive players. So it’s hard to take that as a win..... AND Ebner was a 3rd safety. We extended McCourty. So unless you are assuming Belichick is wrong and both McCourty and Chung decline soon, then he’s basically just being groomed. Compound on top of that, secondary is far and away the strongest unit we have anyways.

3. WR was our weakest position last year. We lost Dorsett who was at least something stable for awhile. However we went into an amazing WR draft. We had draft capital to trade around. We let a whole WR run happen right before us and didn’t bother to get anyone and then obviously decided to be the first team to trade out of the first round. We signed two JAG’s who combine for 1027 yards despite both being on league for 5-6 years a piece.

4. We lost Collins who is a really good linebacker and Van Noy who is a really good linebacker. We got Uche and Jennings to the replace them. That’s not the worst thing. But they aren’t going to come out and be as good as those two right off the bat. You were better off trying to keep one of them (Van Noy)and then still drafting those guys. And you could have done it by not franchising Thuney.

5. The TE’s are basically projects like the last TE’s. Just slightly higher draft stock but not sure things. Probably not going to come out the gate as big time contributors even if they end up being good

6. I have nothing against the kicker’s talents. He was not a draft graded kicker. We spent a 5th on him. He would likely have been there in the 6th round.

7. You lost Tom Brady. I don’t care how you try to justify it. Any QB outside of Mahomes or Jackson is a clear downgrade. Stidham would be defying odds to adequately replace him and we need a good experienced QB with this offense

If you judge an off season by the degree the team improved, on paper the team got worse and is hoping a bunch of guys can be adequate replacements for some really good talent. That’s an F grade.

1. Why are counting Ebner as a defensive loss? And saying he’s a 3rd safety. Do you mean Duron Harmon?

And to point 3 the TE spot was our weakest position. Yes I agree I would’ve liked to grab a wr at some point in the draft but our TEs were horrible last year. Even worse than the WRs.

the changes have been huge.....with that in mind, nobody here really knows the plans, so grading is pointless

Billy mismanaged this just like he mismanaged Trey Flowers last off-season. Billy should’ve Franchised him and traded him to a desperate Coach that Patricia is and received more than a comp pick.

Thuney has rejected Billy’s offers. I see him just playing it out on the tag and then walking next off season.

We started last offseason with around 20 mil of cap space. The cost to franchise tag flowers was 17 mil.

We started last offseason with around 20 mil of cap space. The cost to franchise tag flowers was 17 mil.
Shhhh, you are ruining great whining with facts

If you think the Patriots were somehow a legit Super Bowl contender last year and expecting that to continue then the off-season has been a failure since they didn’t get better and are further away from that goal today compared to when they were eliminated.

If you thought it was time to start building for possibly Dynasty 3.0 putting pieces in place while being right up against the cap then they’ve done ok so far.

The Patriots were in cap jail but still made significant moves with the signings of Allen, Copeland, Lee, Phillips and Vitale.
You had me up until you made this ridiculous statement.

They hardly had any cap room this off season, yet Franchised Thuney. They currently can’t even sign Dugger.
I’m sure you are capable of thinking more than that if you choose to.

So if you were HC, you'd keep one of Collins or Van Noy and dump Thuney?
I’d dump all 3 if I had a choice. Thuney is good, but not a player worth making the highest paid guard.

The ol was devastated by injuries last year. Right now, this is a strong,deep unit.
There’s nothing deep about this unit.

He gave them the correct grade. This off season was pathetic.

BB bad habit of ignoring needs while hoarding positions of strength will get exposed if there’s actually a season.

Ignoring need?

They needed help at TE, and they drafted two and added more.

They needed speed and athleticism on defense and they added several elite athletes on D.

They needed a kicker, and got a good one.

They needed youth and depth on the OL, and they added some.

They needed a fullback, and they got a good one.

They hardly had any cap room this off season, yet Franchised Thuney. They currently can’t even sign Dugger.

Franchising thuney is still cheaper than flowers.

Once Brady left Thuneys value to us increased with the young qb taking over. We want to surround him with the best line we can especially early in his career.

Franchising thuney is still cheaper than flowers.

Once Brady left Thuneys value to us increased with the young qb taking over. We want to surround him with the best line we can especially early in his career.
My point was never keeping Flowers. They could’ve Franchised him, then trade and get him off their books.

I’d dump all 3 if I had a choice. Thuney is good, but not a player worth making the highest paid guard.

There’s nothing deep about this unit.

Thuneys worth every penny. He's one of the top 2 guards in the league- BUT he also can play every position on the ol.
Not deep? Lol, we all know it's your thinking that's not deep.
With Andrews back, Shaq healthy again and Thuney, that's one of the very best interior ols in the NFL. If Cannon is healthy again, and Wynn likely to make a bigger jump this year, the tackles are solid. That's a very good starting ol IF they're recovered from the injuries.
Cajuste is probably the swing tackle and has big potential. We also get Froholdt this year. Herron,Woodard etc. I'd like to see you name me even 3 ols that have as much depth and quality. And they're young,to boot. Team is set for years on ol .

We got a 3rd round compensatory pick for losing Flowers. For context, two similarly-talented D-line players were franchised in 2019: Clowney and Dee Ford and traded for a 3rd round pick and a 2nd round pick, respectively. So maybe a team would've been desperate enough to give up a 2nd rounder for Flowers - but that's a big IF. And why put yourself in a position to give another team that much leverage over your cap situation for a move from the 3rd to 2nd round? And even if you could guarantee that Patricia would've traded a 2nd in retrospect, that's a pretty minor blip in the holistic picture of roster building over the past 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots