PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Patriots will be "extremely and uncharacteristically" aggressive in Free Agency

They could have started Stidham which was looking like Bill’s plan until end of June when the Cam opportunity presented itself and either they would have won a bunch of games and finish in the same position we are now or would have lost a bunch of games, Bill would transitioned to Hoyer and we would have picked high in the draft.

In my mind, nobody would have said we are tanking, we would have said that Stidham and Hoyer really stinks and Bill would have justified it like he did: « we sold out and we didn’t have any money to pay a QB » and nobody would have said anything
Bill was absolutely measured in his quest to win games in 2020.

He saw winning with Cam greater that with Stid but I think gave Cam a 10% of taking them to the playoffs and Stid a 1% chance

I think a good comparison would be the 2003 off-season:

2003 Off-Season:

DRAFT:

- Drafted Ty Warren (1.13): Solid DT for several years.
- Drafted Eugene Wilson: Solid safety for several years.
- Drafted Bethel Johnson: Gave us some speed plays over several years including a crazy triple reverse vs. the Titans in the playoffs.
- Drafted Dan Kelcko: A fan favorite that never amounted to much.
- Drafted Asante Samuel: Pro-bowl CB.
- Drafted Dan Koppen: Long time center for Brady.
- Drafted Kliff Kingsbury: Put him on I/R without an injury and he ended up becoming a coach.
- Drafted Spencer Nead: Never did anything.
- Drafted Tully Banta Cain: Key defender for several years.
- Drafted Ethan Kelley: Never did anything.

FREE AGENCY:

Signed Rodney Harrison: Probably best safety in BB's tenure.
Signed Rosevelt Colvin: Key member of dynasty 1.0
Signed Ted Washington: Signed late...but saved us from a repeat of a 2002 Steve "Sieve" Martin leaky run D.

4vl5ln.jpg

;)

2003 Off-Season:

DRAFT:

- Drafted Bethel Johnson: Gave us some speed plays over several years including a crazy triple reverse vs. the Titans in the playoffs.
- Drafted Kliff Kingsbury: Put him on I/R without an injury and he ended up becoming a coach.

FREE AGENCY:

Signed Ted Washington: Signed late...but saved us from a repeat of a 2002 Steve "Sieve" Martin leaky run D.
2001 offseason was pretty good as well.

if so he should have let Thuney walk. the Pats would likely have a 3rd round comp pick this year for that move.
And I would have probably traded Gilmore too

BB knew it was a rebuild based off of cap situation and all the departures but I think he was hopeful they still had enough pieces that if Cam performed well they could sneak into the playoffs. After 3 weeks that seemed quite possible- won easily over the Dolphins, lost by a yard to what was then considered a top 5 team in Seattle then spanked a pretty good Raiders team. Obviously Cam fell apart as did the rest of the team but keeping some players to be competitive while also cleaning up the cap situation was a logical approach. In hindsight they should have probably moved a couple more veterans who were not part of their long term plans and given themselves even more cap space.

FREE AGENCY:

Not sure how you can say that Colvin was a Key member of dynasty 1.0 when he got injured almost immediately in 2003. He was a part time player in 2004. He wasn't bad to full health until 2005.

BB Traded a 4th round pick for Ted Washington in Mid/Late August.

if so he should have let Thuney walk. the Pats would likely have a 3rd round comp pick this year for that move.
Except they won't get a 3rd round comp if they sign someone that is Thuney's contract equivalent. Not to mention that you're screwing over the O-line by letting Thuney (the Pats best O-line hands down) go.

Yep.

Also kinda weird for Curran to say all of this and then mention Jacoby Brissett as an option for the Pats. That's not really what I'd have in mind as "aggressive"....
I can almost talk myself into it. We know spending is going to be down in this free agency, but I'd expect the top QBs to be mostly immune from that. The market inefficiency is going to be with the midlevel free agents, and the big question is at what dollar amount that tipping point happens. Florio recently used the example of Ndamukong making $7 million in 2020 but maybe only $3 million in 2021. Ideally I'd want to aim a little higher, maybe getting the $10 million guys in 2020 for $5 million in 2021. I don't think I'd immediately dismiss the idea that a bunch of midlevel guys all expected to outperform their contracts could more than compensate for the difference at QB.

Who would have replaced him? Keep Tom and put a scrub at LG to protect a 43 year old Qb?

2003 Off-Season:

DRAFT:

FREE AGENCY:

Bartender, I’ll have another one of these please.

Yep.

Also kinda weird for Curran to say all of this and then mention Jacoby Brissett as an option for the Pats. That's not really what I'd have in mind as "aggressive"....

Agree completely, I don’t see the logic in loading up in free agency and then going with a QB who at their best couldn’t get you past a Wild Card game. I think QB is the canary that dictates their approach to the offseason. If they brought in a Ryan, Garrapolo, or Stafford then a really aggressive offseason makes sense, but if you are going with a Stidham or Brissett then it makes no sense at all, at least to me. There are a number of routes they can take to get back to front of the line, but this strikes me as completely counterintuitive.

Who would have replaced him? Keep Tom and put a scrub at LG to protect a 43 year old Qb?
It had nothing to do with Brady!

He responded to your assertion that Bill used 2020 to prepare 2021 and he said that if it was the case he should have let thuney walk which would probably give us a 3rd comp pick this year !

And we could have use those 15M on positions that were a bigger need like WR or TE

2001 offseason was pretty good as well.

I chose 2003 because it followed a 9-7 season in which BB was pi$$ed about..... (according to Harrison)

Not sure how you can say that Colvin was a Key member of dynasty 1.0 when he got injured almost immediately in 2003. He was a part time player in 2004. He wasn't bad to full health until 2005.

BB Traded a 4th round pick for Ted Washington in Mid/Late August.
OK...not dynasty 1.0....but he was an integral part of the 2006 team that shoulda beaten Rex Grossman in the SB!!! :)

And yeah...not a FA signing...but the best 4th rounder we ever spent in BB's tenure I believe?

Yep.

I don’t believe for a second that Curran’s “source” gave him any specific names at quarterback.

Curran lost his binky and main source of inside information when Brady and Belichick parted ways (Brady, his papa and his inner circle in general). In my opinion, this is the main reason that he has had a hair across his ass about Belichick for the past two years (started in 2019, when he realized that Brady was a goner). He is as hardcore Team Twommy as any poster on this site.

I hope he is right about the Pats being ultra-aggressive in FA but I would ignore that QB specifics.

2003 Off-Season:

DRAFT:

FREE AGENCY:

Not having a quarterback in place is a huge issue, though.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back