PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CPP # Retirement

So, Paul is where he belongs now, with the rest of the Celtics family heroes. And this family extends way beyond those with retired numbers up in the rafters of the Garden.
I remember too many occasions when Pierce faked ill to put him up with the Celtic greats.[/QUOTE]
Examples? Over 16 years? I remember when he got stabbed 20 times and smashed over the head with a champagne bottle and played.

Games played plus playoffs. Basically exactly the opposite of soft.

Here’s why this isn’t a great analogy- the Celts drafted Pierce. Some say he fell to them some say he was fat. Either way I’d say Borque is a closer comparison but Peirce won here.

Uh, you made my point rather than refuting it. Like Pierce, Bergeron (drafted by Boston) and Chara (UFA but here 12 years) won one here and while both have been among the best at what they respectively do neither has ever been seen as clearly superior to their top echelon peers over time. Pierce, Bergeron & Chara all made their bones the same way, by sustaining excellence but not superiority over time. Bourque is a poor comparison in that regard because he was decidedly the very best defenseman in the league for multiple years and unfortunately (rot in hell Jacobs you cheap bastard) did not win a championship here.

Uh, you made my point rather than refuting it. Like Pierce, Bergeron (drafted by Boston) and Chara (UFA but here 12 years) won one here and while both have been among the best at what they respectively do neither has ever been seen as clearly superior to their top echelon peers over time. Pierce, Bergeron & Chara all made their bones the same way, by sustaining excellence but not superiority over time. Bourque is a poor comparison in that regard because he was decidedly the very best defenseman in the league for multiple years and unfortunately (rot in hell Jacobs you cheap bastard) did not win a championship here.
Agree to agree on most of it. Maybe the difference is I view Pierce as on a higher level than those guys other than Borque.

Pierce did attain a higher level of visibility in his sport than Bergeron or Chara but my original contention was he was "more on the level of a Bergeron/Chara than an Ortiz or Brady." That's hardly damning him with faint praise since Bergeron is tied for the record with 4 Selke trophies and has been a champion at every level of his sport. In addition to the Stanley Cup he won gold in the Olympics, World Championsip, World Jr's, World Cup, and the Spengler Invitational. Like Pierce he is nothing short of excellent and like Pierce there is always someone else's star shining a bit brighter so their game goes underappreciated by the masses in comparison. They are both 1st ballot HoF'ers even if they will never be known as the best of their generation as opposed to Brady who is the GOAT and Ortiz who is without doubt the best DH of all time.

I remember too many occasions when Pierce faked ill to put him up with the Celtic greats.
Examples? Over 16 years? I remember when he got stabbed 20 times and smashed over the head with a champagne bottle and played.[/QUOTE]
I remember a post game interview with Antione Walker when Pierce showed up bandaged. I recall a game when he went from a wheelchair to the game. Seriously? I've followed the Celtics in the early 60's until now. I know Paul Pierce and the horrible stabbing incident. I also know he wanted sympathy on occasion and would play to that audience.

Examples? Over 16 years? I remember when he got stabbed 20 times and smashed over the head with a champagne bottle and played.
I remember a post game interview with Antione Walker when Pierce showed up bandaged. I recall a game when he went from a wheelchair to the game. Seriously? I've followed the Celtics in the early 60's until now. I know Paul Pierce and the horrible stabbing incident. I also know he wanted sympathy on occasion and would play to that audience.[/QUOTE]
The bandage thing was post game trolling the refs. The wheelchair game is legendary. Did he need the wheelchair? No but he was injured and came back for an all time performance. The exact opposite of what you’re saying. Bad examples. Peirce always showed up. Even when they were putrid.

And even if that’s bad how does 2 minuscule incidents in 16 years not make him an all time Celtic great as you say?

The crowd erupted when he came out. It was the finals vs the Lakers.

And even if that’s bad how does 2 minuscule incidents in 16 years not make him an all time Celtic great as you say?
I think he was great and the Celtics do not win any titles without him. Although, he is not in the same sentence as Russell. Do not care if the crowd cheered him when playing the Lakers.

I think he was great and the Celtics do not win any titles without him. Although, he is not in the same sentence as Russell.

If the subject is greatness no Celtic, not even Havlicek or Bird, belongs in the same sentence with Russell.

Shoulda been three had KG not gotten hurt in 09 and Perk in 2010

And some horrible Tim Donaghy level officiating against both the Heat and Lakers.
I was going to mention the flat-out robbery by the as-usual crooked NBA zebras during game 2 of the 2012 ECF before I was beaten to it.

We all here complain about NFL zebras, myself included, but the level of criminal bias by NBA zebras, and by extension the league itself, rivals that
of the Deep State.

I'll always remember that gutty performance after what was no doubt an absolutely devastating injury.

I'll always remember that gutty performance after what was no doubt an absolutely devastating injury.

Turns out that was masterful gamesmanship. But the argument I thought was that CPP was soft? And that was the example?

Games played plus playoffs. Basically exactly the opposite of soft.
First time I’ve ever quoted myself but is someone going to explain how that’s soft?

pp revealed recently they took him off in the wheelchair because he **** himself. no joke.

Is that even a story? I played traveling with a guy that became a 10 year pro in another sport and he pooped his pants way worse than that. Super Bowl winner. Pooping the pants? Eh...

Is that even a story? I played traveling with a guy that became a 10 year pro in another sport and he pooped his pants way worse than that. Super Bowl winner. Pooping the pants? Eh...
i think that video is after the log had been pinched.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back