PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Covid testing for this season will really introduce uncertainty into betting lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a doctor and public health official. He's asked an opinion, and he gives it. On a very simple matter (testing protocol). Government officials then decide what to do with that information. Or, in this case, NFL officials. He doesn't have public policy authority in a pandemic, he has expert authority. This is no different than if you are given an opinion by your doctor. You decide what to do next.

It is safe to say that no one on this message board comes anywhere close to the life achievements of Dr. Fauci. He was one of the world's 3 or 4 most important scientists 30 years ago, and has only built on that. His dedication to his field of study certainly outdistances anything any pro football player has ever done. People like him don't have an off season. They are reading, studying, conferring, thinking about the science 20 hours a day, 7 days a week. To accomplish that, scientists like him develop powers of concentration that would stagger the average person.

These NFL players are surrounded by people - staff, families, media, and more. Each of those people are surrounded by people. Many in that extended network will have medical conditions that make them vulnerable. The game of football requires the exchange of bodily fluids. You really resent having the players tested?!
When did saying he shouldn’t have the final say for everything mean his opinion was invalid and that I was discrediting his work?

This is exactly my point. If I don’t “hail” to the advanced intellect known as Fauci for every little piece of information about everything then I’m perceived as someone who thinks they know more than Fauci, and that I’m just out to delegitimize his work.

He does not have to have the final decision in everything we do in this nation. It’s the simple.

They are testing approximately 400,000 per day right now and the testing capabilities are perpetually increasing by the day.

2 weeks ago testing was around the 200,000 range.

Testing is going up in numbers and new cases and deaths are decreasing. Approximately 40% of Corona deaths were people in nursing homes.

They are testing approximately 400,000 per day right now and the testing capabilities are perpetually increasing by the day.

Testing is going up in numbers and new cases and deaths are decreasing. Approximately 40% of Corona deaths were people in nursing homes.
How fcking DARE you report good news!!! When did they start allowing that!? LOL

And remember, all deaths reported are deaths of someone who has Coronavirus at the time of death. Not deaths because of the coronavirus. They could have the flu, cancer, a heart attack, pneumonia, or all of the above when they die, it doesn't matter. Especially with the elderly, it is very difficult to figure out exactly what caused death, so I am not criticizing, however that certainly should be noted.

And remember, all deaths reported are deaths of someone who has Coronavirus at the time of death. Not deaths because of the coronavirus. They could have the flu, cancer, a heart attack, pneumonia, or all of the above when they die, it doesn't matter. Especially with the elderly, it is very difficult to figure out exactly what caused death, so I am not criticizing, however that certainly should be noted.
What should also be noted is that it is the States/Counties that identify cause of death. And like anything involving State by State definition there is wide variance of how that death is interpreted. The timeline for reporting deaths is also varied, from daily reporting by 20 states of 75% of deaths within first 10 days to 3 states reporting less than 1% of deaths within 10 days. Also, “deaths due to Covid-19 may be misclassified as pneumonia or influenza deaths in the absence of positive test results, and pneumonia or influenza-like illness may appear on death certificates as a comorbid condition.” This comes from the CDC website under the National Center for Health Statistics.

The NFLPA and the NFL should agree to set up team clinics that test everyone in the players entourage including the girls they just met on snapchat.

When did saying he shouldn’t have the final say for everything mean his opinion was invalid and that I was discrediting his work?

This is exactly my point. If I don’t “hail” to the advanced intellect known as Fauci for every little piece of information about everything then I’m perceived as someone who thinks they know more than Fauci, and that I’m just out to delegitimize his work.

He does not have to have the final decision in everything we do in this nation. It’s the simple.

Your initial post is defensive, as if he is being given authority by people who have authority. It isn't happening. He is being scapegoated, yes, using such twisted logic it nearly defies deconstruction.

We need to stand up against people avoiding responsibility and pointing the finger elsewhere. In this case, we can't let the NFL executive function off the hook by simply saying, "we are powerless, we are just doing what Fauci says we should do." Fauci is one input to their decision matrix, as he is everywhere else.

The question is: what will be necessary to get the NFL back to something near normal, and economically whole?

For testing: when we are doing it to people who have no symptoms and who can return to work. That'll require us to be able to administer millions of tests per day, an order of magnitude beyond where we are now.

It'll also require contact tracing, which means we all need to turn on our cell phone locations and make that data available to central public health authorities. Getting the permanently pubescent American public to cooperate on a team effort like that is problematic, to say the least.

And for purposes of learning, it should be noted that the NFL, as a $$B operation, could have seen this need coming and sponsored a test kit factory production line in March. They'd have plenty of tests for fans, staff, media, etc. on hand if they'd been paying attention, and they'd be heroes for it. There were test and mask production facilities sitting idle that they could have gotten running. They were somewhat challenged with something as simple as doing a virtual draft, so it this kind of strategic, forward thinking was clearly beyond them.

Let's keep this thread from devolving into the reason why I'm currently staying away from dedicated coronavirus threads right now...we don't need to start going at it over a topic that none of us (unfortunately) really has any control over. So there's no point in building animosity between each other when at the end of the day, the one thing we can all at least agree on is the fact we'd all like to be able to watch football this fall.

Heroin OD with Corona checks off as a pandemic death.

We have learned that living in NYC is very unhealthy and life in California just the polar opposite.

Your initial post is defensive, as if he is being given authority by people who have authority. It isn't happening. He is being scapegoated, yes, using such twisted logic it nearly defies deconstruction.

We need to stand up against people avoiding responsibility and pointing the finger elsewhere. In this case, we can't let the NFL executive function off the hook by simply saying, "we are powerless, we are just doing what Fauci says we should do." Fauci is one input to their decision matrix, as he is everywhere else.
I think you’re the one reading too deeply into my initial post here. I can’t have an individual thought that states “why should Fauci get the final say for everything that happens in this country?”

It’s not the reality of how decisions are ultimately made. But it seems some want to push it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down