PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could the Pats trade for Michael Thomas?

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The rumors are the relationship between Michael Thomas and the Saints is so fractured that a divorce is inevitable. There is speculation that there could be a trade before the start of the season. Would the Pats trade for him? The Saints are in the market for a CB. Would a combination of Gilmore, Harry, and a high draft pick(s) get it done?

Personally, I would rather have Thomas than Julio Jones. Jones is four years older than Thomas. Thomas could be an elite WR for Mac Jones for an extra four years or more than Julio Jones would have been if the Pats traded for him.

Thomas' base salary is nothing in 2021 ($1 million). But his base jumps up next year and the following two years after that ($15.4m, $15.5m, and $18.5m). Of course the Pats could get cap relief by giving him an extension or turning some of next year's base into a bonus.

Odds are the Saints will keep him and even if they do try to trade him that they won't offer enough considering the potential teams looking to trade for him. But I figured I would throw it out there.

The rumors are the relationship between Michael Thomas and the Saints is so fractured that a divorce is inevitable. There is speculation that there could be a trade before the start of the season. Would the Pats trade for him? The Saints are in the market for a CB. Would a combination of Gilmore, Harry, and a high draft pick(s) get it done?

Personally, I would rather have Thomas than Julio Jones. Jones is four years older than Thomas. Thomas could be an elite WR for Mac Jones for an extra four years or more than Julio Jones would have been if the Pats traded for him.

Thomas' base salary is nothing in 2021 ($1 million). But his base jumps up next year and the following two years after that ($15.4m, $15.5m, and $18.5m). Of course the Pats could get cap relief by giving him an extension or turning some of next year's base into a bonus.

Odds are the Saints will keep him and even if they do try to trade him that they won't offer enough considering the potential teams looking to trade for him. But I figured I would throw it out there.
I’m keeping a eye on it would love to dump free agent Agholars salary and trade him and Gilmore for Thomas.
If Saints trade Thomas they will want defense.
Robinson just retired.
Gilmore will help them tremendously and they maybe willing to trade Thomas for Gilmore and say Agholar straight up.
I have nothing against Agholar I just feels he’s incredibly overpaid would love the signing for under 10 mill a season.

Harry and a 4th? Do it! :D

Harry and a 4th? Do it! :D
Toss in Cam as a sweetener

happy all in with cam GIF by Nickelodeon

Last edited:
Not worth weakening the defense for a receiver when the team already has 6 quality pass catchers in Meyers, Agholor, Bourne, Henry, Smith, and James White. That's already too many pass catchers for 11 starters after adding QB+OLine.

A month ago I would consider some kind of Gilmore for Thomas trade…but not now. Our secondary needs more help then WR and Gilmore is that help.

He has redone his 96 million 5 year contract every season since signing it in 2019.

Dude is a money pit.

I’m keeping a eye on it would love to dump free agent Agholars salary and trade him and Gilmore for Thomas.
Robinson just retired.
Gilmore will help them tremendously and they maybe willing to trade Thomas for Gilmore and say Agholar straight up.
I have nothing against Agholar I just feels he’s incredibly overpaid would love the signing for under 10 mill a season.

Just no. Ankle injuries can linger. They didn’t sign AgholOR just to trade him before the season. More to the point, who would play outside CB across from JC?

Robinson just retired.
I think we guaranteed too much to trade Agholor year 1.

I wouldn't say no but with Smith, HH, Nelson, Bourne and Jackobi I don't see another WR a major need. That's a decent group of pass catchers right there.

If he was getting 125 balls a year thrown his way because we were chucking in 600 times a year, maybe but we won't.

Plus he seem like a high maintenance chick.

But at the trading deadline...I'd be tempted to send Harry and maybe one of our CB's.....that is if Thomas is playing and still elite.

Has anyone watched these CB's this offseason, they need Gilmore... desperately.
We know Jackson is a CB2 at worst. Maybe he steps up but hes not Gilly.

Bryant is a CB3/4 whatever.

I'm liking Michael Jackson Sr. but hes JAG-ish.

Part of me wishes they drafted a CB in the 2nd round but getting Barmore was a gift.

I think he is a fantastic receiver albeit a major pain in the butt along with injuries every year, so I reluctantly say NO!

Since we didn’t get Julio, I’d rather keep Gilmore and roll with what we have. Thomas seems like a massive douche and a head case (albeit a talented one).

1628711246942.png

I like Thomas as a player (at least in most years of his career), but he's hurt, he's expensive, and we're already halfway through training camp (and he's unlikely to practice the rest of it anyway). Doesn't seem like the most prudent move.

We know Jackson is a CB2 at worst. Maybe he steps up but hes not Gilly.

Bryant is a CB3/4 whatever.

I'm liking Michael Jackson Sr. but hes JAG-ish.

Part of me wishes they drafted a CB in the 2nd round but getting Barmore was a gift.
Agreed, Jon Jones is as good a slot corner as you’ll find in the NFL. Against undersized quick fast WR’s he’s your man.

JC Jackson is a good #2 but he’s not locking any elite WR’s down.

MJ is a good #3-4, especially against teams that have size at their 3-4 WR position. Bryant seems like a jag to me but may round out the unit.

They need Gilmore if they intend to compete for a ring this season.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back