PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cooks yards per reception

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by the past 3 weeks I would say from Rob Gronkowski. The 2 weeks he has played he has more yards than all other Patriots COMBINED, and the week he was suspended...
And what is helping that is teams doubling Cooks

our WR core got hit so hard this year, its a good thing we decided to pick up Cooks, if we hand't we would have a repetition of 2009 were we only had Moss and Welker and nothing else, very easy to stop for even an average D

I know there are people on the board who think he is overrated, has not performed to expectations and Josh is not using him right.

Hes had some inconsistent moments here and there but I think in year one of a highly complex system he has been VERY good.

Can't imagine where the team would be if BB hadn't traded for him.

Where would 60 catches 1000yds come from?
Had Edelman, Hogan and Mitchell all been healthy this year, the Pats arguably would've gotten along fine without Cooks.

I dint believe it matters if you were forced out or not. Still can’t be the first to touch the ball
Agree but the poster was trying to find an excuse to trash cooks

Judging by the past 3 weeks I would say from Rob Gronkowski. The 2 weeks he has played he has more yards than all other Patriots COMBINED, and the week he was suspended...
He will need to carry the passing offense from the next month.

Had Edelman, Hogan and Mitchell all been healthy this year, the Pats arguably would've gotten along fine without Cooks.
No question.

But they aren't. Thats my point.

Cooks wasn't a mystery, he wasn't being held back by a trash QB or bad offensive coaching or something on the Saints. The Patriots knew what to expect, and it looks like they're getting EXACTLY that... almost to the last decimal place, depending on how the last 2 games go.

The mindset that he's a disappointment because he's not AB or Julio Jones is just super duper stupid. There was no evidence he'd be that tier of player, nobody ever sold him as being that tier of player. Thinking he'd be the second coming of Randy Moss and then getting mad when that didn't happen is just silly on a really profound level.

The mindset that he's a disappointment because he's not AB or Julio Jones is just super duper stupid. There was no evidence he'd be that tier of player, nobody ever sold him as being that tier of player. Thinking he'd be the second coming of Randy Moss and then getting mad when that didn't happen is just silly on a really profound level.

Hey, between you and me, the forum has a solid contingent of ****ing idiots on it. Once they have made up their mind about something there is no hope. These idiots are like a combination of the Terminator, Rain Man, and the Manchurian Candidate.

They cant be reasoned with and will not stop
They repeat the same stupiditity over and over
The most minute little thing (bad play etc) sets them off into insane mode.

Again, keep this between you and me because I dont want these posters to know I am saying this about them because they might get mad at me and come after me and I am scared.

images

Possibly.

But then, they also wouldn't have him for next year, when Amendola turns 33 (and is UFA) and Edelman turns 32.

Considering the odds against the Pats picking up another Mitchell in the draft ...

I know there are people on the board who think he is overrated, has not performed to expectations and Josh is not using him right.

Hes had some inconsistent moments here and there but I think in year one of a highly complex system he has been VERY good.

No one is saying he isn't good. The question is this: is he good enough to pay top dollar for?

I don't think so. One of the worst things you can do is pay top dollar for a b+ player.

It keeps you from ever signing that A player and the A player makes such a bigger difference.

I am fine with b level players but b level players.. particularly at WR, don't usually sign for b level money.

If he were a Jones or Brown or someone like that I'd pay top dollar for sure cause they are good enough to change the way the d plays. Cook isn't good enough to change the game himself against top level teams.

I'm not trying to crap on cooks cause he is really good. He just isn't worth what he will be paid after next year.

No one is saying he isn't good. The question is this: is he good enough to pay top dollar for?

I don't think so. One of the worst things you can do is pay top dollar for a b+ player.

It keeps you from ever signing that A player and the A player makes such a bigger difference.

I am fine with b level players but b level players.. particularly at WR, don't usually sign for b level money.

If he were a Jones or Brown or someone like that I'd pay top dollar for sure cause they are good enough to change the way the d plays. Cook isn't good enough to change the game himself against top level teams.

I'm not trying to crap on cooks cause he is really good. He just isn't worth what he will be paid after next year.
Well, right now Cooks is making nothing. So big win there. Next year he is on the books for a 8.5 mil cap hit. Jones's cap hit is 14 mil and Brown's is almost 14 mil and it will be 19 mil in a couple of years.

So you can continue to make excuses why Cooks isnt elite like these guys but he also isnt being paid anywhere near these guys.

All things equal it looks like Cooks will be worth the 8.5 next year given he will have a full year and camp in the system. That is pretty good for a 1000 yard plus guy with elite speed, who gets the system and is a great teammate

Whats the problem?

I think my point is that the way he has been used so far he is an amazing complimentary piece but is not able to be the chess piece.

In games where things are going somewhat according to plan he is the ideal outlet to keep defenses honest or punish them for cheating towards the intermediate game. However in games where we struggle to get things going his usage is too one dimensional to carry a team out of a hole the same way that true elite WRs can do.

The thing is that with his speed and hands he can potentially be deadly if we could just get him the ball in space with well designed blocking (think screens, or well designed slants or even drag routes). But for one or the other reason (pick being called, blocking failing, him getting tripped..) those attempts almost everytime fell flat so far.

I dont think anyone would call the trade for him a failure at all. I certainly would not but yet I cant shake the feeling that there is so much more potential in there.

Plenty of idiots on this board have devalued Cooks.

You are making assumptions on the market for Cooks and what he will find acceptable or what the Patriots think he value is.

The cap will still go up.

We disagree on the assessment of Cooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye