PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cooks traded to Rams for 23 overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he traded for him last year known he was gonna trade him this year.

Either way he wasnt long term for bill. I'm fine with it. He didnt shine here like some said he would.
Didn’t Moss get top money?

Haven't seen much "retooling". That implies they've added quality pieces to replace guys who are gone

They're much worse at WR. Worse at RB. Much worse at LT. The offense is relying upon injury plagued or old players and young/mid career busts to develop.

The D is marginally better but not in the places where it was exposed last year (LB and interior rush). Like the offense, it's relying on injured guys getting/staying healthy.

It's still a very good roster but definitely worse at key positions and the chances of Edelman, Gronkowski and Hightower being healthy and as good as needed seems slim to me.

I get why they moved Cooks. He's not worth his expected 2019 salary and it's a good return. But this team has taken several steps back in talent and draft picks are unlikely to fill those gaps.

Still plenty of time to build the roster but the team is definitely worse on paper than it was last year.

I think it will be a challenging season next year no doubt. I see some tough games on the schedule. They might as well rebuild on defense.

Jackson?
What?
DW Toys

The guy who ran a E/P variation & has the most upside in the draft.

Yea I'd be pretty pumped if we landed him.

I for one can't wait for the draft, we actually have a reason to watch on day one.

Sorry to disappoint you, I have foreseen the future, the fates have shown what happens on April 26 --

10:40 PM: Patriots have traded pick 23 to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for pick 102 and a 2019 first round pick.
11:45 PM: Patriots have traded pick 31 to the Indianapolis Colts for pick 37 and pick 104.

Apparently people can't remember that we traded Super Bowl MVP Deion Branch rather than pay him.
Never paid Welker, Jules big money either.

Randy got paid but he was, well Randy

I got a feeling that bill wants that big time QB. Could see some dealing

Like this trade. Patriots need to get younger and more athletic. This gives them 4 picks in the top 60+. Would like to see them use all 4 and draft LT and then LB, safety, edge rusher.
I love the Draft but lets not get giddy. 17%-19% success rate for every NFL Team on average in a three year time period. That is pro bowl, starter or valued back up.We have like two. Check our roster from 3 years until now.

Every NFL Team is comprised of 30% UDFA or street picks ups.
I love the optimism of picks but players with NFL tape are more realistic. Which is why Rams went for Cooks. Is 23rd pick guaranteeing a real NFL prospect?
If I could trade for an AJ Green etc. who has two years on his contract.
Imagine Gronk, Edelman and Green.
DW Toys

We gotta hope Shelton plays like the college player. He was dissapointing in Cleveland. I still feel he should drop some pounds.
I'm not high on Sheldon as others are. He's an immovable space eater which helps roaming LBs but he will generate zero pass rush

Honestly this makes too much sense for both teams.

I would paid Cooks 13-14 but apparently that wouldn't work.

We got a lil better value then what we gave up.

Rams are trying to get where we are. And we're trying to sustain this level of greatness.

Rams will have 70+ million next year to spend & look to have an incredible team rn. Their scary good.

This gives us tons of flexibility & cap to spend.

Cooks was a good player here but we're better off now than yest.

I think 10 mil a season is what I remember.

Prolly way too high for cooks when Gronkowski is a superior player making a stronger impact at less than that.

People are blind to that. Also i was high on the Dorsett deal but the guy's a lost cause. He's not a good route runner. Maybe Britt has something left.
I thought Britt was brought in last year as insurance for Hogan?

I believe so although it was a shorter term deal like 3 years 10 mil per. Annually at the time it would’ve been considered top wr money

I got a feeling that bill wants that big time QB. Could see some dealing
And that "big time QB" is who?

That would be absolutely hilarious if the Pats blow their load and take a QB high in the draft and it will really piss Brady off.

I was amazed when in 1984 the Pats used the number one pick in the entire draft on a wide receiver, Irving Fryar. It has only happened four times in the history of the NFL.
Irving "if it's not a knife in the kitchen, it's a fork in the road" Fryar

People like you need to get your head out of the sand and deal with reality.

The Pats were without Hightower, McClellin, Jonathan Jones, Rivers, and Vincent Valentine. Not to mention the let downs of Branch and Butler. When you have that many pieces missing from a defensive unit, you are going to have issues. I don't care what team it is. Acting like picks will automatically fix the defense when having those players back will do significantly more to fix the defense than anything rookies brings shows a severe lack of understanding of the game on your part..

Your statements also give ZERO acknowledgement to the fact that the Eagles O-line was EXCELLENT and had been all season.. When people can't be bothered to give credit where credit is due, then they are worth listening to..

So out of all those names the only one that I think would have made a difference in the game we played would have been Hightower. That’s it.
My emphasis on defense is important, when Hightower goes down there is a huge drop off, literally I feel there is no leadership in there.
Let’s not forget Hightower has been injury prone and has missed his fair share of games the last few years.
Take Hightower away and put all the other guys that you mentioned, they would not have made a difference.
If we had studs we would have gotten to Foles, if we would have generated enough pressure at the start of the game we could have gotten to Foles head, and you know how he deals with when there is pressure on his face.

Brady can get us the points, but if our defensive line can’t generate enough pressure not even the best secondary in the world can save you.

I'm not high on Sheldon as others are. He's an immovable space eater which helps roaming LBs but he will generate zero pass rush

That’s exactly what he is and it’s the reason we traded for him. If he frees up others to make plays and clogs the run up the middle people should be happy.

What is wrong with Rosen?
I like him I like Mayfield I like Allen I like Lauletta I like Kenchoff I like White I like Jackson If the Patriots are targeting a QB they need to nail it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes