PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cooks traded to Rams for 23 overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - Now trade a conditional mid-rounder for Josh Gordon.

2 - Please don't risk a 1st rounder on a QB. It's the furthest thing from a guarantee. The championship window with Brady is closing. Odds of winning will never be this high.

This offense has always been about Gronk + Edelman then the rest. In 2013 for the few games Gronk/Jules were healthy we scored 29 PPG with KT & Dobson surrounding them. The offense legitimately did not blink with Cooks out of the game in the superbowl. Slide Hogan in as a starter & have competition at WR3.

We just robbed the Rams. Robbery. We basically got out of jail free card with that odd trade from last year. Cooks is a solid player but not a #1 WR nor a player that can consistently beat man coverage.

Last edited:
Holy cow. I didn’t expect this to happen because it didn’t make any sense for his value to be higher on $8M/1yr than $10M/2yrs. Somehow, his value went up.

Good trade. Cooks was a luxury that failed in the super bowl. I’ll never forget that atrocious leap on 3rd down. Who the **** tries to leap when they need 1 yard and have 4.3 speed.

I’m not sure about this. They must have a plan to trade for someone.

Doesn't surprise me. Liked Cooks for what he brought to the table, but Brady has always got it done no matter who he was throwing to. Draft became a lot more interesting.

Getting a first round pick back makes this a no brainer, Cooks was a good player but he's not a game changer.

I was expecting them to have to eat big losses on that first round pick they invested in him if they traded him.

Last edited:
I love this trade. I think it's no secret that I was lower on Cooks than most, and I never really liked the trade that brought him here in the first place. A first round pick was just really steep for a very good but not quite elite WR who only had one year left of bargain basement contract. Now that we got that year and then got the first back, though, it's just killer value for one year of a very good receiver. Let someone else pay Cooks elite WR to be a not-elite WR in free agency this offseason.

This draft pick is going to get us 4 years of cheap production at a position of need, and Belichick's track record indicates that we're probably getting a very good player. Plus it'll be fun watching all the people who attacked anyone suggesting that Cooks was non-elite WR who wasn't worth what he was going to get paid come around to that viewpoint now.

It was inevitable because of his contract looming. I have to be honest, I'll truly miss having Cooks in this offense. He's an unselfish player that changed the way this offense operated for a year. That being said, the value of this deal is simply extraordinary. We gave away the 32nd pick in 2017 and a 3rd rder for a 4th rder in 2017, the 23rd pick in 2018, and a swap of late rders, AND Cooks for a year. This means that Phillip Dorsey should hopefully be kept since his skills in this offense is now wholly unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back