PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Competition proposes Shortening OT by 5 min..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So, the Competition Committee has come up with a brilliant plan to shorten OT by 5 Minutes.. Why? Because that extra time puts such a hardship on teams that may play on a Thursday night..

Competition committee to propose 10-min overtimes

I have news for the NFL.. Any game played on Sunday is a Hardship on the teams playing because they are playing on short rest regardless.. The only way to ensure that it's not is to make it so that teams don't play the Sunday before a Thursday game..

Their reasoning behind it is certainly shaky, but I'm not sure it's a bad idea on its own. Is there any particular reason OT should be the same length as a quarter?

Their reasoning behind it is certainly shaky, but I'm not sure it's a bad idea on its own. Is there any particular reason OT should be the same length as a quarter?

Shortening it by 5 minutes is nothing though.. That's what, 15min of real time.. You think that really makes that much of a difference?

Instead of shortening overtime by 5 minutes, why don't they just shorten TNF to 0 games?

I agree with this.. I've hated Thursday games since their inception.. And since they decided to go to the ridiculous COLOR RUSH, the only time I've watched is the Patriots game and I didn't care for the uniforms..

IMHO, Color Rush has been one of the biggest flops for a marketing idea for the NFL..

The reason for shortening OT is that it does cause a hardship, but player safety has nothing to do with this initiative.

The networks don't want overtime because it messes with their scheduling. One of the biggest profit centers for television affiliates is advertising revenue from their local news shows. A longer NFL game cuts into that news hour, where they get to keep those ad revenues.

The national networks don't like overtime either because that means their prime time shows start later - which means many viewers switch to something else that starts at the top of the hour. They make no additional profits either since the contracts with the NFL are set for a specific number of advertisements. The only ads you see during OT are promos for upcoming shows, not beer and truck commercials.

Follow the money and you will find an easy explanation.

Sudden death. 3-down drives. XFL scramble to decide possession.

Y'all are welcome.

Terrible change, we need less ties not more.

Sudden death. 3-down drives. XFL scramble to decide possession.

Y'all are welcome.

Oh, and since you mentioned the XFL...

More ties, gross.

All it does is increase the chances of a game ending in a tie.

Terrible change, we need less ties not more.

More ties, gross.

Huh, I have no problem with an occasional tie after 70 minutes of football. Only 6% of NFL games even go to OT, let alone make it past minute 10. The impact of the rule change would probably amount to just 1 or 2 extra ties per season leaguewide. And of course, until the mid-'70s there was no OT.

But reading this thread, it seems that I'm in the minority and most fans utterly loathe ties. If that's the case then sure, shortening OT would be a mistake.

Well it's an overtime quarter. There certainly is no reason it should have a different length.

Well it's an overtime quarter. There certainly is no reason it should have a different length.

Why even start with the assumption that an OT should equal a full period? In the NBA and the NHL overtime is just 5 minutes. In college football overtime is based on possessions, not time. Plus the scoring rules mean that NFL overtime is already very different from a regular quarter of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back