PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comeback Player of the Year - Brady? FARVE!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatch62

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit that I take Brady for granted now. When he was a little off to start the year I thought "WTF is wrong with him" not "the poor guy is coming back from a brutal knee injury". Now that I step back I can say he is getting back into form and should be a front runner for the comeback player of the year award. Not according to everyone.

Per Adam Schein of Foxsports.com at mid season it is Jason Taylor. (NFL - - FOX Sports on MSN). "Tom Brady? I expected this. Taylor is back in Miami and back to his dominant form". Taylor is dominant? At the mid point Taylor has 17 solo tackles, 6 assists and 5.5 sacks. Good but not great.

Peter King of SI says it is Brett Farve (NFL Midseason All-Pro Team, Awards - Peter King - SI.com). "From May arm surgery to phenomenal 16-to-3 touchdown-to-interception ratio." While this true Farve played every game last year and while not deserving was VOTED TO THE PRO BOWL.

Here is a list of guys that at the half deserve the award (not in order):
Brady - Missed every game but one last year and is on pace to throw for 4,730 yrds and 32 TDs
Cedric Benson - Had a so so season in Cincinnati last year after being cut by the Bears. This year he is on pace for 1,675 rushing yrds and 12 TDs
Chad Ochocinco - last year 53 rec for 540 yrds and 4 TDs. This year he already has 44 red for 639 yrds and 5 TDs.
Jeremy Shockey - Last year - 50 recs for 483 yrds and 0 TDs. This year so far 34/402/3
Darren Sharper - Last year - 1 Int. This year 7 Ints and 3 Tds already.

There are others (DE Will Smith, DE Andre Carter) as well and any of them could fade in the 2nd half but still for Jason Taylor and Brett Farve to called comeback players of the year is a joke.

If it came down to it, I would vote for Brady but I personally don't see any problem with Favre winning CPOY award. Favre has been as lights out as it gets so far.

I've never liked the idea of the Comeback player of the year award going to someone who simply rebounded from a disappointing season. There should be more to it than that. Injury, losing the starting job, being out of the league, etc. Favre started every game last year and had a pretty good year up until the last quarter of the season. He doesn't deserve comeback player of the year, but some people are just absolutely obsessed with Brett Favre and will lobby for him to win any and every award possible. Same goes for Peyton Manning.

These awards are a bunch of hooey anyway. I'm not worried about it.

Peter King acts like a school girl around the captain of the football team whenever he talks about Favre. Not surprising that he would pick Favre as the comeback player.

I don't know what Adam Schein is smoking, but I want some. I have seen talk in Miami of people wanting to start Cameron Wake over Taylor. But I will admit I saw that in passing and not sure if that is general sentiment or just the lunatic fringe.

Favre started in all 16 games last year, I'm not even sure if he'd be eligible for a CPOY award. Peter King would probably award Favre w the Nobel Peace Prize if he could.

Last edited:
These awards are a bunch of hooey anyway. I'm not worried about it.

Peter King acts like a school girl around the captain of the football team whenever he talks about Favre. Not surprising that he would pick Favre as the comeback player.

I don't know what Adam Schein is smoking, but I want some. I have seen talk in Miami of people wanting to start Cameron Wake over Taylor. But I will admit I saw that in passing and not sure if that is general sentiment or just the lunatic fringe.

Yeah. Taylor has been absolutely f'n terrible this season. I believe three and a half of those sacks came in a two game span. He has definitely hit the wall.

Brett favre winning cpoy would be an abomination. Shame on any fan or media type who would not be outraged at that. Giving the cpoy award to a guy who played every game last year and was voted to the probowl would make the award pointless. No one could justify that and only favre could win it under those circumstances. Just like he won si sportsman of the year, in the same year brady had the best season for a qb and went undefeated.
Media gets rug burned knees when it comes to favre.

Shoudl be Brady, Favre should win the Redundant Player of the Year

I don't give a crap about this award but based on where they all were 12 months ago, Brady has already won the award IMO.

I thought we had a thread on this one already.

Yeah being in the Pro Bowl one year and Comeback Player of the Year the next is pretty ridiculous.

Farve seems better qualified for the Nobel peace prize. Sean crable deserves comeback player of the year.

I nominate Brett Farve for Academy Awards for best drama....

Brady should definitely get it over Favre, IMO, but hey, Favre can have CBPOY. And Peyton can have regular season MVP again. I'll happily settle for TFB getting his 4th SB Ring and maybe even SuperBowl MVP for a little icing on the Lombardi cake. :singing:

Last edited:
Brady should definitely get it over Favre, IMO, but hey, Favre can have CBPOY. And Peyton can have regular season MVP again. I'll happily settle for TFB getting his 4th SB Ring and maybe even SuperBowl MVP for a little icing on the Lombardi cake. :singing:

well put...i think that Peter King might regret the pick if Brett starts a November swoon by around Thanksgiving.

ps...ok...i like your sig line... :)

well put...i think that Peter King might regret the pick if Brett starts a November swoon by around Thanksgiving.

ps...ok...i like your sig line... :)

Unlikely. He's not hurt and will only be playing in one very cold weather game (@ Chicago). This, of course, doesn't take into account his body just breaking down because of old age.

Unlikely. He's not hurt and will only be playing in one very cold weather game (@ Chicago). This, of course, doesn't take into account his body just breaking down because of old age.

He was hurt last year, but hes had the same swoon every one of the last 5 years, hurt or not.

I don't think its cold weather either, because hes played much worse whether the games were indoor or out.

He was hurt last year, but hes had the same swoon every one of the last 5 years, hurt or not.

I don't think its cold weather either, because hes played much worse whether the games were indoor or out.

He didn't have it in 2007, so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

He didn't have it in 2007, so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

Sure he did.

Favre Games 1-11
68% comp%, 7.9 YPA, 22 TDs, 8 INTS

Favre Games 12-16

59% comp%, 7.1 YPA, 6TDs, 7 INTS

He falls apart at the end of every season. Some years its week 9. Some its week 12. But it always happens.

Last edited:
Sure he did.

Favre Games 1-11
68% comp%, 7.9 YPA, 22 TDs, 8 INTS

Favre Games 12-16

59% comp%, 7.1 YPA, 6TDs, 7 INTS

He falls apart at the end of every season. Some years its week 9. Some its week 12. But it always happens.

That's what you call "falling apart"? :eek: Those numbers aren't great, but I've seen worse. By the way, those weeks that you are talking about in which Favre "fell apart", the Packers went 4-2 and then went on to destroy Seattle at home. Favre finished 18/23 for 173 yards, 3 TD's, and 0 INT's in a blizzard.

My definition of falling apart would constitute what he did last year. However, he had a torn biceps and I don't know a single QB in the league that can throw an accurate ball with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents