PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comeback Player of the Year - Brady? FARVE!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what you call "falling apart"? :eek: Those numbers aren't great, but I've seen worse. By the way, those weeks that you are talking about in which Favre "fell apart", the Packers went 4-2 and then went on to destroy Seattle at home. Favre finished 18/23 for 173 yards, 3 TD's, and 0 INT's in a blizzard.

My definition of falling apart would constitute what he did last year. However, he had a torn biceps and I don't know a single QB in the league that can throw an accurate ball with that.

59% completion and more INTs than TDs is bad.

Theres a clear trend with him playing significantly worse in the last chunk of the season. Its over multiple years.

2005 Splits
1-11
64% Comp, 6.8 YPA, 19 TD 19 INT
12-16
57% Comp, 5.6 YPA, 1 TD 10 INT

2006 splits

1-11
57% 6.5 YPA 14 TD 10 INT
12-16
53% 5.9 YPA 4 TD 8 INT

I'll be the first to admit that I take Brady for granted now. When he was a little off to start the year I thought "WTF is wrong with him" not "the poor guy is coming back from a brutal knee injury". Now that I step back I can say he is getting back into form and should be a front runner for the comeback player of the year award. Not according to everyone.

Per Adam Schein of Foxsports.com at mid season it is Jason Taylor. (NFL - - FOX Sports on MSN). "Tom Brady? I expected this. Taylor is back in Miami and back to his dominant form". Taylor is dominant? At the mid point Taylor has 17 solo tackles, 6 assists and 5.5 sacks. Good but not great.

Peter King of SI says it is Brett Farve (NFL Midseason All-Pro Team, Awards - Peter King - SI.com). "From May arm surgery to phenomenal 16-to-3 touchdown-to-interception ratio." While this true Farve played every game last year and while not deserving was VOTED TO THE PRO BOWL.

Here is a list of guys that at the half deserve the award (not in order):
Brady - Missed every game but one last year and is on pace to throw for 4,730 yrds and 32 TDs
Cedric Benson - Had a so so season in Cincinnati last year after being cut by the Bears. This year he is on pace for 1,675 rushing yrds and 12 TDs
Chad Ochocinco - last year 53 rec for 540 yrds and 4 TDs. This year he already has 44 red for 639 yrds and 5 TDs.
Jeremy Shockey - Last year - 50 recs for 483 yrds and 0 TDs. This year so far 34/402/3
Darren Sharper - Last year - 1 Int. This year 7 Ints and 3 Tds already.

There are others (DE Will Smith, DE Andre Carter) as well and any of them could fade in the 2nd half but still for Jason Taylor and Brett Farve to called comeback players of the year is a joke.

do you even have to ask this question? Surely it will be Favre.......WHO should it be? Tom friggin Brady of course.......

He didn't have it in 2007, so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

Wasn't 2007 the year where he had the personal trainer in the off-season prior to the season? I don't think he has done anything in any other off-season except ride a lawn mower and throw to high school kids.

59% completion and more INTs than TDs is bad.

Theres a clear trend with him playing significantly worse in the last chunk of the season. Its over multiple years.

2005 Splits
1-11
64% Comp, 6.8 YPA, 19 TD 19 INT
12-16
57% Comp, 5.6 YPA, 1 TD 10 INT

2006 splits

1-11
57% 6.5 YPA 14 TD 10 INT
12-16
53% 5.9 YPA 4 TD 8 INT

I actuallly said it was not that good. I just said that I didn't think he "fell apart" in the 2007 season and pointed out how the Packers went 4-2 in that stretch. Not horrible by any means. However, those other years you have pointed out (specifically 2005) were pretty horrible. However, his game went up when he finally had more people to throw to than just Donald Driver.

Favre started in all 16 games last year, I'm not even sure if he'd be eligible for a CPOY award. Peter King would probably award Favre w the Nobel Peace Prize if he could.

Yup ....................... what he said ..... :yeahthat:

If it came down to it, I would vote for Brady but I personally don't see any problem with Favre winning CPOY award. Favre has been as lights out as it gets so far.
Just a question. If he is comeback player of the year, what is he coming back from. He was a Probowl player last year, wasn't he?

It isn't about playing lights out, it is about coming back and playing lights out.

I think you and Peter King are confusing comeback player with MVP.

Just a question. If he is comeback player of the year, what is he coming back from. He was a Probowl player last year, wasn't he?

It isn't about playing lights out, it is about coming back and playing lights out.

I think you and Peter King are confusing comeback player with MVP.

Nah, not King. Just me. Though, some could argue that Favre is coming back from a major injury.

The only thing Favre has made a "comeback" on this season is another bout of his indecision of retirement. Otherwise he'll soon enough pull his typical second half of the season antics and will blow it for the Vikes when it matters the most... which is so farking typical for this team.

Semi OT but I was listening to Mike & Mike on the way to work. They rattled off their (or someone's) top five QBs where they put Brady on the outside of the top five below Aaron Rodgers. Yeah... the same Rodgers who gave the Bucs their first win and who has thrown how many INTs this season is somehow A-H-E-A-D of Tom Freaking Brady????

Last edited:
Brett favre winning cpoy would be an abomination. Shame on any fan or media type who would not be outraged at that. Giving the cpoy award to a guy who played every game last year and was voted to the probowl would make the award pointless. No one could justify that and only favre could win it under those circumstances. Just like he won si sportsman of the year, in the same year brady had the best season for a qb and went undefeated.
Media gets rug burned knees when it comes to favre.

i agree.....brady all the way

Yeah... the same Rodgers who gave the Bucs their first win and who has thrown how many INTs this season is somehow A-H-E-A-D of Tom Freaking Brady????

Aaron Rodgers has thrown 16TD and 5 INTS. The same as Brady.

Aaron Rodgers has thrown 16TD and 5 INTS. The same as Brady.

Except the Patriots aren't 4-4, haven't lost to a division rival twice this season, and gave a winless team their first win this last week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick