PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

College Football Star Michael Sam Says He Is Gay; May Become First Publicly G...

Christian tradition (Old Testament, New Testament, Oral Tradition) is quite clear in it's condemnation of homosexual acts as being highly immoral.

I find it interesting that those intolerant of homosexuality always seem to gravitate to religion and to the bible, when they get backed into a corner.

Do you realize, as far as the new testament, Jesus never spoke about homosexuality, only Paul did, and even then, the word he used, arsenokoitēs, means something completely different when you understand that the bible he and others used was in fact, the Septuagint, which is the Greek translation of the Hebrew Old Testament? In that context, arsenokoitēs means pederasty, which we today identify as pedophilia.

I don't see anything DW posted that deserves ridicule. Nothing extreme like what we're hearing from Putin or any other psycho out there. His honesty about how some people might wish for their family member to be straight when they are gay is probably shared with over 50% of the population. ANd that's a conservative number. Might be close to 100% for dads who's sons end up being gay. Mind you, a lot of dads are not going to disown their sons and will always be proud of them no matter what, but you must be kidding me if you don't think these dads would have preferred for their sons to be straight if given the choice.

The moment he says it is a family tragedy he deserves ridicule.

I think Michael Sam wants a fair and honest shot at playing football in the NFL. He wants to be accepted, not just tolerated, as an NFL football player. Left unspoken, he probably feels his sexual preference would have gotten in the way of his acceptance as a player, through innuendo, whispers, silence. By coming out, it is much tougher to discriminate against him because now the whole world is watching.

Moderators:

How come this thread isn't merged with the Michael Sam thread on the draft sub-forum?

Well, this thread has seen me do something I thought I never would... agree with AndyJohnson. Thanks, DW Toys, I now have more respect for a bunch of people on this forum for believing in compassion and love for their fellow man.

Didn't that Jesus fellow try preaching something like that?

Sure Did.

Please tell me where it says I did not want the kid to be successful or loved for that matter. I have stated this.

For all the Libs, I was saying that he did not need to let me know and if you needed to know so be it.

I also said Homosexuality is offensive (use uncomfortable) to many people and those who feel it does not fit their beliefs are claimed to be bigots. Yet if we offend by a Christmas tree, the ACLU et.al go after that and we are chastised. If that is not true please say. My second point was double standard.

This will be good for about a dozen more posts that don't need to happen.

We can agree to disagree.
DW Toys

Bravo to you sir but me saying it ain't helping you today.
DW Toys

Well, I think that what hasn't helped you today is your inaccurate representation of christian teaching.

I think it's important to mention that all of God's children are loved by God and redeemed by the death of Jesus....even those with same sex attractions.

That being said, homosexual acts are still contrary to christian teaching as well as Natural law and as a christian in this time and especially in "progressive" New England any challenge to the Progressive faith is going to be met by aggressive and hostile reactions.

As Chrisitians, we are called to proclaim and live the truth regardless of the reaction we get from the world.
My suggestion would be to stand for the truth but the entire truth: that homosexual acts are contrary to God's plan for his people but that all those who may have same sex attractions are still loved by God, redeemed by that love, and through love are called to Christian perfection.

Sure Did.

Please tell me where it says I did not want the kid to be successful or loved for that matter. I have stated this.

For all the Libs, I was saying that he did not need to let me know and if you needed to know so be it.

I also said Homosexuality is offensive (use uncomfortable) to many people and those who feel it does not fit their beliefs are claimed to be bigots. Yet if we offend by a Christmas tree, the ACLU et.al go after that and we are chastised. If that is not true please say. My second point was double standard.

DW Toys

The inevitable pivot to victimization is always fun to watch.

Well, I think that what hasn't helped you today is your inaccurate representation of christian teaching.

I think it's important to mention that all of God's children are loved by God and redeemed by the death of Jesus....even those with same sex attractions.

That being said, homosexual acts are still contrary to christian teaching as well as Natural law and as a christian in this time and especially in "progressive" New England any challenge to the Progressive faith is going to be met by aggressive and hostile reactions.

As Chrisitians, we are called to proclaim and live the truth regardless of the reaction we get from the world.
My suggestion would be to stand for the truth but the entire truth: that homosexual acts are contrary to God's plan for his people but that all those who may have same sex attractions are still loved by God, redeemed by that love, and through love are called to Christian perfection.

Who appointed you the spokesman for all Christians?

Sure Did.

DW Toys

While I agree that being offended by a Christmas Tree is silly, this is a terrible analogy.
First, the law suits vs Religious object is a separation of church and state issue.
Secondly, there is a huge difference between beliefs and sexual orientation. You sound like one of those people who think gays choose to be gay just to annoy you.

So I can assume that you only have heterosexual sex for the purpose of procreation, or do you pick and choose which 'entire truth' you follow?

I call BS. You are not saying you wish they were straight because it makes their life easier, you are saying it because you think they are morally wrong, and find homosexuality reprehensible. At least be honest.

Yes sir. Family or not. It is my cup of tea. I suppose it is how your religion was taught and it was none of my business. I was taught to love all men, but not that I had to agree with their way of life, and those who sin like you and me and Sam have to answer to just one guy when that time comes.

He can sit down right next to me in Church and I am not moving, but MY opinion is I am not one to approve of his lifestyle. I have about 20 posts that say I need to change my beliefs because I do not believe what they do so therefor I am a bigot.

And No way I ever said I was better than anybody.

That answer it for you Andy?

And yes, gay family members or not I am not a fan of homosexuality. You used the word reprehensible. Some might say so.
DW Toys

If this kid can play he will be FINE. He will have his detractors INSIDE the locker room either way - enough players have already come out and expressed their opinion on openly gay players (came out when the NBA player came out). The BIGGEST problem this kid could face will be whether he plays the role of victim or the role of Jackie Robinson - HIS choice. There will be plenty of OUTSIDE influence wanting him to play victim, or at least will make him a victim, no matter how he approaches it. This guy better NOT stink or some team will have a PR nightmare on their hands.

So being gay is wrong because of the Bible. And the Bible is right because...the Bible says so.

I'll gladly address any question you would like to offer....I certainly have no fear of that whatsoever...lol.

But let me warn you, I am not an Evangelical Christian who takes the Bible "literally" (or so they say). I am a Roman Catholic who understands that the Bible needs to be interpreted in the light of the entirety of tradition and not looked at as a "one off". A proper exegesis needs to be done which addresses the text itself, the original audience, place within tradition, among a host of other things.

There are gay Episcopal Pastors. Are you saying Episcopalians aren't real Christians?

By the way, no one has ever given me a good explanation for the Bible's most cited passage against homosexuality. In the story of Lot, he is seemingly the only upstanding man in the city. His is offended by the rioting mob outside his door who want to savage two angel men because he believes homosexuality is an abomination. To assuage the horny rioting mob, he solves the problem (and prevents homosexuality) by tossing out his two virgin daughters so the men outside can gangrape them! Oh how horrible is homosexuality!! An abomination!

What does Religion and Church have to do with being Gay? No one I know in th fight for Gay marriage or other gay rights are doing it for religious reasons. They are doing it for financial and medical reasons and personal reasons.

LEAVE RELIGION OUT OF IT!

"Broken telephone" is a game played with one person telling another person something and so on. It's one on one.

Christian tradtion was passed on "thousands to thousands" thus guaranteeing a complete and accurate representation over the centuries.
We have evidence of this as early as the very early 2nd century to confirm that the scriptures that we have today are the scriptures that the early christians had and then gave to the next generation.

Then why did the author of the Book of Revelations threaten damnation to anyone who "adds to" or "takes away" words from his text?

Your argument that somehow the transmission of approximately 750,000 words over a 1,500 year gap until the printing press put an end to copying errors, was "complete and accurate," is complete folly.

But then again, I shouldn't expect anything less from posters who drag the good old bible into arguments like this.

What does Religion and Church have to do with being Gay? No one I know in th fight for Gay marriage or other gay rights are doing it for religious reasons. They are doing it for financial and medical reasons and personal reasons.

LEAVE RELIGION OUT OF IT!

Intolerance works BOTH ways. Unfortunately, this nation THRIVES on division.

The moment he says it is a family tragedy he deserves ridicule.

Sir, You have no right to say how my family feels about our homosexual relatives, do you now.

If we are honest we maintain we wish they all straight because of issue like this forum as example. You can be dishonest if you want. I will ridicule you about being dishonest if you feel we are not entitled to an opinion.

DW Toys

Moderators:

How come this thread isn't merged with the Michael Sam thread on the draft sub-forum?

Because it helps the off-season pass by a little quicker.

So being gay is wrong because of the Bible. And the Bible is right because...the Bible says so.

Well it's brought to you by the makers of "I'm not a bigot; I just don't like when homosexuals: hide it, show it, or discuss it.", so I'm not sure what more you can expect.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back