PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Cole Strange-Welcome to the Pats

Disagree. As I pointed out before, his pitch starts out as a strike and then bends about 4 feet horizontally and 1 foot vertically. If he'd started the pitch to the right 4 feet it would be a strike and virtually unhittable. Imagine the reaction of right handed batters. This guy needs to be picked up by the Sox!
Every time I see a discussion about pitching I can't help but think back to Pedro. He had an incredible ability to release every pitch the same but make it do different things at different speeds. He was the best.

Cole Strange. He played for UT Chattanooga. And he’s a first-rounder.

He will be great.

Did we try to trade back again into the top of the second round where we draft him with an additional valuable mid round pick?

That’s a question that should be put to BB.

He will be great.

Did we try to trade back again into the top of the second round where we draft him with an additional valuable mid round pick?

BB would never give a straight answer to this; he would pick dry answer number 18, combine it with dry platitude number 10 and end with the usual refrain. It would go something like this:

"We were thinking of drafting him at 21 but were excited when he was still there at 29, blah, blah. We did what we think was best for the team, blah, blah, blah..."

[BTW, I think it would be easy enough to write a Python program to generate BB responses, sort of like the online Dilbert Mission Statement generator (before they pulled it)]

That being said, I have to assume that they did want to trade back again, really badly, but could not find any suitors. But they had blinders on for Strange...the good news is that in years to come, the Strange pick (and the trade down from 21) will provide endless fodder for aholes with 20/20 rear view vision like me to say, "They picked Strange when they could have picked so-and-so..."

He will be great.

I think it was put to Bill at the time and he obviously didn't answer it then and isn't going to answer it now.

That being said, I have to assume that they did want to trade back again, really badly, but could not find any suitors.
They got good value from KC with the first trade, nobody knows what happened next. IMO they took the best player available at a position of need.
But they had blinders on for Strange...the good news is that in years to come, the Strange pick (and the trade down from 21) will provide endless fodder for aholes with 20/20 rear view vision like me to say, "They picked Strange when they could have picked so-and-so..."
So we have you down on record as saying Strange is going to suck? Do you want to give us your predictions for all the rookies, so we can match it up afterwards (2-4 years) for fun?

Funny how Mankins was a huge “reach” at the time, now year’s later nobody is using his pick as anything except fodder to neuter media “draft experts.”

How about we wait for the lottery results before we start spending the money… have you ever considered the possibility some of these rookies might be really good?

He will be great.

BB would never give a straight answer to this; he would pick dry answer number 18, combine it with dry platitude number 10 and end with the usual refrain. It would go something like this:

"We were thinking of drafting him at 21 but were excited when he was still there at 29, blah, blah. We did what we think was best for the team, blah, blah, blah..."

[BTW, I think it would be easy enough to write a Python program to generate BB responses, sort of like the online Dilbert Mission Statement generator (before they pulled it)]

That being said, I have to assume that they did want to trade back again, really badly, but could not find any suitors. But they had blinders on for Strange...the good news is that in years to come, the Strange pick (and the trade down from 21) will provide endless fodder for aholes with 20/20 rear view vision like me to say, "They picked Strange when they could have picked so-and-so..."

They did answer this. They said he was high on their board, they had good info that he was high on other boards and wouldn't last far into the second round. They did trade back once but weren't comfortable with the risk/reward in trying it again, and also that you can't always just do the trade you want because there has to be a highly interested other team.

This reminds me of when board members say, "why didn't they trade for XX?!?!?" as if all the Pats have to do is pick up the phone and the other party will capitulate, even if they don't want to trade him.

He will be great.

He wasn't making it by Tampa Bay at 33. So let's stop pretending like your theoretical trade was there.

So we have you down on record as saying Strange is going to suck? Do you want to give us your predictions for all the rookies, so we can match it up afterwards (2-4 years) for fun?
Nope. I don't know if he is going to suck; I have not seen him play. I suspect that he is a decent player, but not a first round talent, but that is only a guess. The only plays I have seen him on were getting beat at the Senior Bowl practices, but that may be an aberration. But to say that he will be great just because he was the Patriots first pick is not safe either; how did that work out with Harry?

The Strange pick has great potential for second guessing, but Strange may turn out OK. The Harry pick was the ultimate for second guessing because of all the other WRs picked after him; it gave fuel for wiseacres like me to endlessly torture the Patriots; I doubt that Strange will be that bad.

I will be happy to give predictions on all the rookies once I see some preseason games. I suspect that the other picks will be more impactful than Strange. Without watching any tape, I suspect that Jack Jones will be an excellent value pick...

The Patriots took a lot of heat about the Thornton pick, but I did watch some tape on him and I like what I saw. Watching him against the two Jones in practice will be really interesting.

Nope. I don't know if he is going to suck; I have not seen him play. I suspect that he is a decent player, but not a first round talent, but that is only a guess. The only plays I have seen him on were getting beat at the Senior Bowl practices, but that may be an aberration. But to say that he will be great just because he was the Patriots first pick is not safe either; how did that work out with Harry?

The Strange pick has great potential for second guessing, but Strange may turn out OK. The Harry pick was the ultimate for second guessing because of all the other WRs picked after him; it gave fuel for wiseacres like me to endlessly torture the Patriots; I doubt that Strange will be that bad.

I will be happy to give predictions on all the rookies once I see some preseason games. I suspect that the other picks will be more impactful than Strange. Without watching any tape, I suspect that Jack Jones will be an excellent value pick...

The Patriots took a lot of heat about the Thornton pick, but I did watch some tape on him and I like what I saw. Watching him against the two Jones in practice will be really interesting.
Well, I would agree that the Strange pick has potential for second guessing, while more has come to light in recent weeks about it not really being a reach after all, the tv analysts had him much lower, so you can 2nd guess the decision to go against the consensus.

Harry was not a reach and was drafted where the tv analysts expected him to go, however players drafted after him have done better, so that pick also can be second guessed.

So what you are saying is if a first round pick doesn't excell, even if drafted with the last pick of the first round, it doesn't really matter whether or not he was drafted where he was supposed to go, per tv experts, the person making the picks will be second guessed. Got it!

Strange dominated the Senior Bowl game, not sure how one on one drills against DT’s in space is him “getting beat?” It’s literally a drill to improve blocking by putting them in an impossible position. And just as an aside, N’Keal Harry got an A grade from the majority of media “draft experts.” They don’t know dck, I’ll listen to the scouts who ran the Senior Bowl and confirm Strange was worth the pick, along with his measurables and my eyes when I watch him play.
Everybody has binkies they prefer, I’ll bet we’d be hard pressed to find serious criticisms of the Harry pick when it was made beyond “I preferred player x instead.” How many posters were saying he would be a bust… very few I’ll bet. It’s really easy to be an expert in hindsight years later.
Unfortunately as the case with all rookies and even free agents, often a team has to get a player in camp and practice before they learn what he can actually do… but there’s no takebacks on draft picks. I think Jack Jones is a year in the strength and conditioning program away from being a pro.
If they can harness his speed and length, if he can get off press coverage he will be interesting to watch. Mac will find him if he can separate downfield.

He wasn't making it by Tampa Bay at 33. So let's stop pretending like your theoretical trade was there.

And even if they thought he was, it's possible they valued the 5th year option for a first rounder more than whatever they were being offered in a trade to move back. If they got a 5th round pick to move to 34 or something, but lost a year of control on a contract, I'm not sure they'd take that.

Now, Uptown.. What are you doing posting such Belichick ball-washing propaganda?? I mean, you'll cause the heads of certain posters to explode because this just flies in the face of their histrionics that they are all knowing and BB is a simpleton when it comes to the draft. I mean. don't you have any compassion for them??? :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Apparently, the theory here is, Belichick is reluctant to trade down.

Apparently, the theory here is, Belichick is reluctant to trade down.
After trading down in his first draft move of the day…

Can't ****ing believe he played the dis-proven Chess v Checkers card.

Why not? He backs up his opinion with a YouTube Film Study to support his assertion/opinion.

What do I search on YouTube to find Captain Stone's Film Studies?

Can't ****ing believe he played the dis-proven Chess v Checkers card.
That’s a throwaway at the end of the video. But the video and the pick make a ton of sense with the Patriots’ return to zone blocking.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back