PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Christian McCaffrey ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. However, the dude was 17-18 years old when this happened. He was literally a kid. I DO NOT condone these actions whatsoever, but I think he deserves a second chance (whether it be with us or not).

He coldcocked a girl, let him go work at MacDonalds.

Christian McCaffrey reminds me a bit of Reggie Bush in that people loved to talk about how he would be such huge impact player but in the end he was just a top tier 3rd down RB who occasionally could run for 1000 yards a year but not year in year out. Bush did only when he grew into more of a man's body at 26 and was able to stay healthy and take more of a beating but that was late in his career or the career of any RB.

In fact that is exactly the kind of comparison I'd make. I expect him to have a Reggie Bush like career. To me that is a low 2nd or high 3rd round pick. No way a first round pick. Some team will do it though.

Any team drafting this guy in the first is a HUGE mistake. He simply will never be on the field enough snaps to justify it.

Last edited:
Christian McCaffrey reminds me a bit of Reggie Bush in that people loved to talk about how he would be such huge impact player but in the end he was just a top tier 3rd down RB who occasionally could run for 1000 yards a year but not year in year out. Bush did only when he grew into more of a man's body at 26 and was able to stay healthy and take more of a beating but that was late in his career or the career of any RB.

In fact that is exactly the kind of comparison I'd make. I expect him to have a Reggie Bush like career. To me that is a low 2nd or high 3rd round pick. No way a first round pick. Some team will do it though.

Any team drafting this guy in the first is a HUGE mistake. He simply will never be on the field enough snaps to justify it.

Best comparison for him I've seen yet.

He's probably not someone I end up mocking but I'd love it if they do draft him and wouldn't be at all surprised. He fits the Patriot model as well as any prospect in the draft.
Exactly how does he fit that model?

Good character, good athlete, good ball security, versatile.
Well, you might be right, but I'd question the character of a guy who abandoned his team in their bowl game because he was a FraidyCat about getting injured. I bet Belichick really got excited about him after seeing that. Gutless...

Well, you might be right, but I'd question the character of a guy who abandoned his team in their bowl game because he was a FraidyCat about getting injured. I bet Belichick really got excited about him after seeing that. Gutless...

After what happened to the Notre Dame linebacker (J. Smith) I don't blame any player for skipping a bowl game. I get the position you are taking Jackson but the colleges are using these players and they should protect their careers first imo. I would be fine with throwing out the entire Bowl system and having the universities insure their players for what they could lose in terms of career earnings in the playoff system if they get seriously injured.

I'm not at all a fan of McCaffrey, but that bowl sit is not at all a reason for that. He plays, he makes college football old boys millions and get jack **** while potentially decimating his own earning potential.

The college football system shouldn't work this way. It's a clear conflict of interest and there should be no reason why a player considers it advantageous to sit out an important game. But it is what it is right now.

I'm not at all a fan of McCaffrey, but that bowl sit is not at all a reason for that. He plays, he makes college football old boys millions and get jack **** while potentially decimating his own earning potential.

The college football system shouldn't work this way. It's a clear conflict of interest and there should be no reason why a player considers it advantageous to sit out an important game. But it is what it is right now.
A four year free ride consisting of tuition, room and board plus expenses is "jack ****?". I envy your lifestyle...

After what happened to the Notre Dame linebacker (J. Smith) I don't blame any player for skipping a bowl game. I get the position you are taking Jackson but the colleges are using these players and they should protect their careers first imo. I would be fine with throwing out the entire Bowl system and having the universities insure their players for what they could lose in terms of career earnings in the playoff system if they get seriously injured.
In the old days when players made just human salaries (some of the old time Celtics had off season jobs!) those players in college would never skip a Bowl game. There was a time when college sports were king in Murica.

OK so the mock drafts have him as high as 19 now. Why won't the Pats grab this guy if there at 32> Or rather put it this way.. if he is there at 32 is there any way we don't take him?

I would take him with #12. I don't think he'll make it until our last pick. This kid is a stud. Swiss Army knife.

I love Brissett and he's my hope for Brady's heir but look at the dividends their approach to the QB position has paid year in and year out.

Sure they have some misses like Mallett but Cassell and JimmyG are both looking primed to return more than what it cost to draft them while also supplying us with a quality backup in case of the unspeakable for 2-3 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went QB anywhere from the 2nd round onwards. It's a good investment of a draft pick. This is assuming Jimmy is traded, obvs.
I'm rooting for Garappalo over Brisset myself.

Why do you like an unproven over someone more proven?

Mccaffrey is a rich mans Woodhead
Fournette looks like AP in his prime.
He would extend Bradys career another 5 years.

fournette is nothing like AP. fournette is much bigger back. slower too. AP is much more twitchy and violent runner.

McCaffrey would be a great fit in our offense.

You can line him up in the backfield, you can line him up in the slot or outside.

He would be a matchup nightmare for other teams..... put a linebacker on him & your in trouble.

He may have the best hands in the draft & you don't need to have him run the ball 25 times a game.

He is a great punt/kick returner who you don't have to worry about fumbling.

We know Belichick loves ball security.
The top 10 running backs in the NFL averaged 1 fumble every 108.5 touches.

The top 2 RB prospects do not have good fumble ratios.

Cook - 63.8
Fournette - 82.1

McCaffrey 1 fumble every 243.7 touches.

There is talk of the Patriots adding a speedy receiver. They are rumored to be interested in DeSean Jackson & rumored to have interest in Brandon Cooks in a trade.

Brady & the Patriots destroy zone defenses, but they have been known to struggle a bit in man coverage. They could be looking for a speedster who needs double coverage to add to our offense. You can't double both Gronk & a speedy receiver.

Add a guy like McCaffrey into the mix & we may see the 2007 offense again.

I would love to see McCaffrey on our team.

McCaffrey can be a nice Edelman replacement who can also have some utility running the ball, he'd be a nice addition to the offense but I don't want to spend a 1st round pick on him.

If he's as amenable to being treated as a football player and malleable to being turned into Edelman then I'd be surprised if they didn't take him if he was there at 32. But I'd also still trade that 32 for Cooks in a heartbeat...proven and whatnot.

I dont think the above is true, I don't see him as a big everydown back, and I think someone else will try to make him that and he`ll be looking for that opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
Back