PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Harper released [9/17 edit: Re-Signed to Pats PS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like the obvious choice is Kenbrell Thompkins maybe he has looked really good in Practice. I may be in the minority here but I think Thompkins game is a little better than Dobson's meaning he gets open alot quicker and also gets separation in his routes. Thompkins seems like the kind of player that would seize the opportunity given the chance. I cannot think of a better situation for him personally I am pulling for Kenbrell to succeed this time around.

Seems like the obvious choice is Kenbrell Thompkins maybe he has looked really good in Practice. I may be in the minority here but I think Thompkins game is a little better than Dobson's meaning he gets open alot quicker and also gets separation in his routes. Thompkins seems like the kind of player that would seize the opportunity given the chance. I cannot think of a better situation for him personally I am pulling for Kenbrell to succeed this time around.

Thompkins was more reliable than Dobson. The biggest problem with both of them is not making clean catches. They both tend to double catch the ball, but Thompkins less so than Dobson. Dobson can stretch the field better than Thompkins.

I was disappointed we lost Kenbrell last year, and am happy to have him back.

Keep in mind that the TV coverage of people not directly involved is sketchy. That being said, I saw Dobson get open a few times.. He just wasn't the first read..

Amendola too.

Pretty much everyone was open all the time against Pittsburgh. Nice defense they've got there.

Dobson "didn't get many looks" because he simply wasn't Brady's 1st read. Not with Edelman, Gronkowski, Amendola and Chandler on the field. Watching the game, Brady went to Edelman and Gronk so much because they were his 1st reads AND they were open. This wasn't like in time past where Brady was threading a needle to hit Welker.. The Steelers just couldn't cover either of them..
The point is, the emphasis was on getting the ball out quickly, and it will be even more so this week. In those sorts of games, Dobson (or LaFell) won't be the first option or second option.

Thompkins was more reliable than Dobson. The biggest problem with both of them is not making clean catches. They both tend to double catch the ball, but Thompkins less so than Dobson. Dobson can stretch the field better than Thompkins.

I was disappointed we lost Kenbrell last year, and am happy to have him back.
In 2013, when they both we're played, Dobson caught 37 balls on 74 targets (50%) for 519 yds and 4 TDs. Thompkins caught 32 on 70 targets (45%) for 466 yds and 4 TDs. They each played 12 games. So no, Thompkins was not more reliable than Dobson.

In 2013, when they both we're played, Dobson caught 37 balls on 74 targets (50%) for 519 yds and 4 TDs. Thompkins caught 32 on 70 targets (45%) for 466 yds and 4 TDs. They each played 12 games. So no, Thompkins was not more reliable than Dobson.

It also should be pointed out that Dobson was the choice once all the players returned and the offense was running full throttle. I've seen some say Dobson's numbers are due to being forced the ball, but most of his production came with Gronk/Amendola on the field. It is actually Thompkins whose numbers are inflated by extra tosses early in the season.

Last edited:
I think any rookie who makes the 53-man roster is going to be a prime candidate for the Practice Squad, Harper especially.

I'd be very surprise if the Pats simply let him walk away.

Mark Daniels @MarkDanielsPJ
Harper confirms he signed to the practice squad

Damn, I think we must have one of the best PS' in the league at this point.

Welcome back Chris Harper! I hope he gets his shot someday. He showed flashes of potential in camp and preseason.

Mark Daniels @MarkDanielsPJ
Harper confirms he signed to the practice squad

Damn, I think we must have one of the best PS' in the league at this point.
With Amendola about to enter his 30s and Edelman not far behind having a player like Harper developing in the background is a huge win.

Welcome back Chris Harper! I hope he gets his shot someday. He showed flashes of potential in camp and preseason.

Agree. I can even see Harper being a nice replacement for Amendola, assuming Danny decides to leave at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes