PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Chiefs @ Broncos game thread - (Updated) Reaction to Mahomes' Injury

(clap clap clap clap)

Its early, but Mahomes seems fragile to me.

He does not like getting hit and dinged his ankle last season too.

Its early, but Mahomes seems fragile to me.

He does not like getting hit and dinged his ankle last season too.

What "mobile qb" hasn't had that said about them a few years into things?

Its the same story, every time. They come blazing onto the scene, pundits celebrate a new era of qb play, and 6 weeks in the dudes legs are gone. He heals up, repeat next year. Wash and repeat until the mobile QB learns he won't last running, and starts to protect himself and operate from the pocket (see: Russel Wilson), picking his spots to make impact plays with his legs.

What "mobile qb" hasn't had that said about them a few years into things?

Its the same story, every time. They come blazing onto the scene, pundits celebrate a new era of qb play, and 6 weeks in the dudes legs are gone. He heals up, repeat next year. Wash and repeat until the mobile QB learns he won't last running, and starts to protect himself and operate from the pocket (see: Russel Wilson), picking his spots to make impact plays with his legs.
This x100. Running qb's get hurt. If you want a long career in the nfl, don't run around, stay in the pocket and get rid of the ball quickly. If you want to run around you are going to get hit and you are going to get hurt. If you are the Chiefs and you have to invest 40-50 mill a year in Mahomes in a year you are probably going to get burned.

That being said, if I was the Chiefs I would wait and see, if your team loses the next 4 games keep him out, if they are still in the hunt, then you have to decide. He should still be ready for the season if he has the surgery in December, no reason to announce it ahead of time.

32% of people think he should still play? That’s nuts. 68% think he shouldn’t, but the Chiefs don’t appear to be even weighing the decision, already saying he’ll return in hopefully 3 weeks. That’s more nuts.

Chao is the only one talking about how risky this is...no one else in the media seems to be running with this at all. The other thing is, he will not be the same QB until he gets surgery and will be very limited in his mobility. In fact, Aaron Rodgers had a more minor knee injury last year, and while his TD:INT ratio was great, he was clearly slowed and not himself. The Mahomes injury is a lot worse.

Gronkowski also “wanted to play” according to the media when he re-broke his forearm in the 2012 postseason. It never fully healed, and many have said this lead to long-term bitterness with the Patriots, or at least their medical staff, hence the well known Gronk family council making calls on injuries going forward. Just recently we saw this happen with Kevin Durant; he likely won’t be the same player again. For all the “are you a doctor?” snarky comments, Chao knows what he’s talking about, and we see this all the time in sports with these guys getting medical advice, second opinions, etc, and ultimately still damaging their careers by hearing what they want to hear, as teams rarely put their foot down and tell them they’re not playing due to the risk.

I think this is an asanine decision if the Chiefs are really going to have Mahomes make this call and if they’re not strongly considering shutting him down. He’s a young guy with a feeling of invincibility, and of course he’s going to want to play and prove his toughness to his teammates and the world. You have literally the most promising young NFL player in 35 years, an immediate superstar, and you’re going to have him play through a dislocated kneecap (which Chao clearly thinks is at high risk for re-injury and even potential permanently worse damage) all for the sake of one season, where the team appears to have huge competitive problems anyway? I honestly hope Mahomes is okay; he is fun to watch and probably the future of the league. This has nothing to do with being a Pats fan either; if anything, I think playing him this year has much more potential competitive advantage for the Pats long-term, in that their only looming yearly threat is risking losing everything, and I think the Pats would rather handily beat the Chiefs anyway this year and probably won’t even play them in the postseason (Chiefs eliminated first.)
Whatever the decision Andy Reid will choose the wrong one.

In other words, he'll be back in time for the Patriots game...

Chiefs actually have a rough schedule the next 6 weeks. Packers, Vikings, Chargers, Titans, Raiders, Patriots. Titans aren't pushovers and Raiders are a divisional game. Good chance the Chiefs drop half of those.

Just to return to the game thread aspect here.

I don’t care how many people say Joe Flacco is elite. He’s not! I’m sure I’ll get flamed for this by all the Flacco fanboys here, but I’m going even further: he’s not even a top-5 QB.

(Braces for backlash.)

I don’t care how many people say Joe Flacco is elite. He’s not! I’m sure I’ll get flamed for this by all the Flacco fanboys here, but I’m going even further: he’s not even a top-5 QB.

(Braces for backlash.)

I've posted this before, but I just love how it handles the Flacco is Elite meme.

Regards,
Chris

(Braces for backlash.)
Who considers Flacco a top 5 QBs?
I’d debate top 50.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back