PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Check Breer's Camp Recap Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) There is no obligation to wait for Moss and Stallworth. Welker, TE's and running backs will be available shot. Moss and Stallworth just need to take four defenders back with them.

2) This is a passing team. I see no evidence that this will be a balanced offense. That being said, a running back on this team could easily average 100 yards per game. James for the colts and Martin were solid runners for
passing teams.

Do you think that third and four is a passing down? third a three? I submit if these are clear passing downs, then we are a passing team.

Nothing wrong with those options, except that I really, really don't want to see Brady throw 35+ times a game, every game; esp. if he begins to feel obligated to take 7-step drops and wait for Moss and Stallworth to go deep.

Last edited:
1) There is no obligation to wait for Moss and Stallworth. Welker, TE's and running backs will be available shot. Moss and Stallworth just need to take four defenders back with them.
That's the point, it's not Moss and Stallworth. It's Moss and Stallworth and Welker and Watson and the RB.

Morris, 6' 218, 8th season: 8 fumbles, 374 rushing attempts, 112 receptions = .016 f/attempt
Faulk, 5'9" 202, 9th season: 23 fumbles, 632 rushing attempts, 276 receptions = .025 f/attempt
Maroney, 5'11" 220, 2nd season: 1 fumble, 175 rushing attempts, 22 receptions = .005 f/attempt
Dillon, 6'1" 225, 11th season: 28 fumbles, 2618 rushing attempts, 244 receptions = .01 f/attempt

Morris is a little closer to Dillon & Maroney's weight, he splits the difference in fumbles between Faulk and Dillon, he's got less mileage then Faulk who has been banged up in recent years, and like Faulk, he's a good fit in the passing game for screens, draws, blocking, and receiving - this is a nice complement to the talent pool at the skill positions.

Chris Brown (who is an IR commando) wanted out of Tennessee because he wasn't the feature back. An article in the Tennessean within the past week noted his asking price is still too high for Tennessee who desperately needs a feature back - so, let's pay top dollar for Maroney's back-up. Morris has the virtue of being durable, a Special Teams' Ace, a third down and reserve feature back who fits well with the offensive scheme and is proven in AFCE play against at least one team of playoff stature. If the Pats are doing more zone blocking to complement Maroney's running style, he's a better fit than Brown.

As for Hairston, why get bent out of shape over a late round draft pick, whomever BB selected at RB that late was low on every team's draft board for a reason, what is with people needing All-Pro's as reserve players anyway?

I have seen Hairston play live and I really believe the kid might stick with the team. I think we all know that of all positions, RB is the easiest one to "step right in" to the NFL and be productive. I remember a BB interview where he was asked how they evaluate and predict lower division players ability to suceed in the NFL and he said something like "you look for them to have been dominant at thier level" which Hairston absolutely was.

True, he could get cut, but I think he and Richardson have the best shot of all the late round picks of sticking. I think Lua goes Practice squad as well. The beauty of the pats is that if a kid busts his ass, and plays well, he will make the team over a vet...they have proven that.

I'm rooting for the kid because he is a dillonesque physical presence.

Do you think that third and four is a passing down? third a three? I submit if these are clear passing downs, then we are a passing team.

3rd/4 is likely a passing down, depending on the score, time remaining and conditions.

3rd/3 is a running down, in my old-fogey book. But if a pass is called, please, do not use an empty-backfield formation. That gives the defense much less to consider; and one less blocker to overcome.

As for Hairston, why get bent out of shape over a late round draft pick, whomever BB selected at RB that late was low on every team's draft board for a reason, what is with people needing All-Pro's as reserve players anyway?

There is nothing wrong with people needing talent as reserves. Or do ye forget the LBs and DBs used in the 2nd half of the AFCC? The disheartening thing to me, is that Hairston and everybody else drafted after Kareem Brown could have been signed as an UDFA. The FO could have had its cake, and eaten it, too.

There is nothing wrong with people needing talent as reserves. Or do ye forget the LBs and DBs used in the 2nd half of the AFCC? The disheartening thing to me, is that Hairston and everybody else drafted after Kareem Brown could have been signed as an UDFA. The FO could have had its cake, and eaten it, too.

Sometimes I wonder if Belichick and Pioli know what the hell they're doing.:rolleyes:

Not do provide any disturbing images, but...

Doesn't Albert Breer look like he could be the love child of Bill Belichick and Peyton Manning?

I indeed do remember the Pats playing in Indy and even with Patriot reserves in the game it was still two fairly evenly matched teams slugging it out. Peyty played one of the best games of his career that day, not from the statistical standpoint, but from the game management standpoint. He took what NE gave him and won a very tight game where Indy had a couple bounces go their way - it happens. Let's not be forgetting that Indy had previously overcome a huge deficit against a Pats' Superbowl team that had it's starters intact - the 2006 AFCCG situation was a repeat of that regular season game where Willie stuffed Edgerrin on 4th & 1 to preserve a win. Just because you don't know who these kids are doesn't mean Pioli and Belichick are flying blind.

From one old fogey to another, I agree with you. However, I believe for this team 3rd and 3 is a passing down.

3rd/4 is likely a passing down, depending on the score, time remaining and conditions.

3rd/3 is a running down, in my old-fogey book. But if a pass is called, please, do not use an empty-backfield formation. That gives the defense much less to consider; and one less blocker to overcome.

Just because you don't know who these kids are doesn't mean Pioli and Belichick are flying blind.

No, it doesn't; it also doesn't mean that I, and ALL the scouting reports that I read prior to the draft, are flying blind, either.

Now, I did know about Kareem Brown, and Richardson - because he played at ND, and Hairston and Hilliard, but I literally had no effin idea who Oldenburg or Lua or Elgin were. Did anyone see even one of these picks coming? In what Upside-Down universe does Oldenburg get drafted ahead of Doug Datish? Or Hairston ahead of DeShawn Wynn? Or Lua ahead of Brandon Siler? Maybe you can take a chance with one of your 7th-rounders, or even one of your 6th-rounders, but NOT with your only 5th-rounder, and 2 of your 6th-rounders, and BOTH of your 7th-rounders. Sometimes it's better to take someone with a lower ceiling, but a higher floor, every so often.

BTW, I wouldn't pay top dollar for Maroney's backup, either. But if Brown's asking price comes down, then I'm listening.

No, it doesn't; it also doesn't mean that I, and ALL the scouting reports that I read prior to the draft, are flying blind, either.

Now, I did know about Kareem Brown, and Richardson - because he played at ND, and Hairston and Hilliard, but I literally had no effin idea who Oldenburg or Lua or Elgin were. Did anyone see even one of these picks coming? In what Upside-Down universe does Oldenburg get drafted ahead of Doug Datish? Or Hairston ahead of DeShawn Wynn? Or Lua ahead of Brandon Siler? Maybe you can take a chance with one of your 7th-rounders, or even one of your 6th-rounders, but NOT with your only 5th-rounder, and 2 of your 6th-rounders, and BOTH of your 7th-rounders. Sometimes it's better to take someone with a lower ceiling, but a higher floor, every so often.

BTW, I wouldn't pay top dollar for Maroney's backup, either. But if Brown's asking price comes down, then I'm listening.
I can't believe we drafted Matt Cassel either.

I know I'll sound like a little 15 year old fan boy but it's a little ridiculous for you to make your judgement of Belioli basedon what you know and the scouting reports you read. Belioli can, and does, make mistakes but they know what they want to a lot more detail than the various scouting reports floating around. They could have drafted Siler over Lua and had better scores on the post draft ratings but they drafted they guys they like - let's see how it goes. Who they like is more important than who Pro Football Weekly or NFL Draft Scout says they should like.

I can't believe we drafted Matt Cassel either.

I was OK with the Cassel pick, though I would have drafted him in Andy Stokes' spot. After a college career backing up Palmer and Leinert, the title of Mr. Irrelevant would have been appropriate. Besides, had Cassel gone undrafted, it was practically a fait accompli that he would have signed with Tennessee and his USC OC, Norm Chow.

Now we're in fantasy land! Regardless of what draft scouting reports you read, do you even for a moment think they are at all comparable to the reports Pioli is collating for draft day? Seriously, that's an insane argument.

I know I'll sound like a little 15 year old fan boy but it's a little ridiculous for you to make your judgement of Belioli basedon what you know and the scouting reports you read. Belioli can, and does, make mistakes but they know what they want to a lot more detail than the various scouting reports floating around. They could have drafted Siler over Lua and had better scores on the post draft ratings but they drafted they guys they like - let's see how it goes. Who they like is more important than who Pro Football Weekly or NFL Draft Scout says they should like.

Speaking only for myself, at least, had MIA, NYJ, IND, BAL, PIT, CIN, DEN or SD made the same 2nd-day selections as the NEP, I would have laughed myself off the chair, and then toasted their demise.

Honestly, wouldn't you have felt pretty good if we came out of Sunday with, at the very least, KBrown, OL Doug Datish, S John Wendling, DB Courtney Brown, RB DeShawn Wynn, Oldenburg, ILB Brandon Siler and Justin Rogers? I know I would have. I could have felt better, esp. about Saturday, but I could live with that list.

Now we're in fantasy land! Regardless of what draft scouting reports you read, do you even for a moment think they are at all comparable to the reports Pioli is collating for draft day? Seriously, that's an insane argument.

Why wouldn't they be comparable?

I guess we'll see who's insane in 7 months, if not sooner. And believe it or not, I hope it's me. For all our sakes.

Honestly, wouldn't you have felt pretty good if we came out of Sunday with, at the very least, KBrown, OL Doug Datish, S John Wendling, DB Courtney Brown, RB DeShawn Wynn, Oldenburg, ILB Brandon Siler and Justin Rogers? I know I would have. I could have felt better, esp. about Saturday, but I could live with that list.
I'm not concerned about name players. Honestly I prefer no names on day two because then I feel like it's someone the Patriots have been eyeing as opposed to well known players who everyone has passed on time and time again.

Why wouldn't they be comparable?

I guess we'll see who's insane in 7 months, if not sooner. And believe it or not, I hope it's me. For all our sakes.
Why? C'mon Stoney, quit painting yourself into a corner. For starters, are those draft sites evaluating talent based on how it might apply to the NEP? Pioli's team knows intimately what NE wants to do on offense, defense, and special team (news reports have noted Pats' Scouts coaching during Training Camp, they aren't just observer drones). They apply this understanding to evaluating how a player would "fit" within the NEP scheme. None of the draft sites out there even come close with their generic analysis.

Seven months? I expect this team, regardless of who makes the roster, to be in the playoffs. More than that is gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes