PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Charlie Weis beating the "Patriots should draft Mac Jones" drum

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So, former Patriots OC Charlie Weis is beating the "Patriots should draft Mac Jones" drum. The last time that Weis beat the drum for a specific guy he was the coach of Notre Dame and thought the Patriots should draft his guy Brady Quinn. The Patriots didn't and Quinn was a flop for a variety of reasons.

Am I the only one who thinks that if Weis is beating this drum, the Pats should stay very FAR AWAY from Jones?

Forgivable that he beat the drum for Brady Quinn publicly. He was his head coach and that’s part of the process he had to show kids he was recruiting. Who knows what he told Bill privately.

He's been beating the drum for Mac Jones for a while. He said back in November (I think) that watching Mac Jones play was as close as he's seen to a Brady clone.

I have to say Charlie's endorsement of Jones got my attention because he knows the system and what it takes for a QB to be successful. My digs on Jones is he isn't very fast, doesn't have a cannon, and was at a program with a lot of talent and only started a year. His biggest plus seems to he good decisions and his teammates love him...But as I type that I admit it sounds familiar.

In a different year when Jones could be had in the 2nd I'd LOVE the pick. At 15? Not as much.

But if they take him there it tells me Bill likes him a lot so I'll give him a shot.

Am I the only one who thinks that if Weis is beating this drum, the Pats should stay very FAR AWAY from Jones?

Thats not much of a thinking ;)

League seems to be higher on Jones than draftnicks. Riddick said similar thing. Tannebaum as well. Also, the league seems to be lower on top of next QB class than draftnicks and fans. This will factor in as well. In the end he might not be there at #15.

Draftnicks had all kinds of reservations on Watson (incl ex pro scouts Jeremiah, Brooks) and Lombardi was the only one i can remember consistently beating the drum that the guy is a winner and people should not overthink. (im not saying Jones is Watson or what his NFL future holds..)

NFL QB & NE spec. is about the mind - mind set, decision making (+accuracy, timing, anticipation). I feel very comfortable if BB drafts him bc he will be the only one getting the most important info on Jones in personal, long, old friendly conversation with Saban.

Here two analysis from QB guys for a more balanced view:

One thing that I have learned over the years is that all ex-coaches and ex-players have no idea what is really going on within the Foxboro brain trust....So, while I love Weis...I'll take his words with a grain of salt...the same I do for Bruschi, Harrison, McGinest, Ninovich, et al....

4500 yds, 41 td's 5 picks. Pretty impressive numbers even while playing for a team as strong as Alabama. He isn't very mobile. Have we decided that pocket passers are better now, or that mobile run around passers are where the league will be going forward? I think fans get caught up in the numbers and the dual threat stuff. I just don't know if that is the best choice or not.

Irregardless of the talent around him, the kid put the ball where it needed to be. People act as if his receivers were constantly making circus catches to bail him out. The kid consistently put the ball right where it needed to go. Hit his receivers in stride, threw them open when needed, safely put the ball where only his receivers could catch it. Didn't force the ball to certain receivers, read defenses, went through his progressions. And was an excellent leader on a team full of future NFL players.

The "look at how many weapons he had" crowd is head scratching. The kid played his ass off, put up arcade numbers (aided by the talent level of his receivers yes) similar to Burrows last season. I don't remember anyone knocking that kid going into the draft simply based on the talent around him.

The kid's a leader and a gamer at a position we need a better gamer at. Bring him on.

I have to say Charlie's endorsement of Jones got my attention because he knows the system and what it takes for a QB to be successful. My digs on Jones is he isn't very fast, doesn't have a cannon, and was at a program with a lot of talent and only started a year. His biggest plus seems to he good decisions and his teammates love him...But as I type that I admit it sounds familiar.

I think it's a good point - Brady had unprecedented success in NE and was never the fastest or strongest-armed. He succeeded (and continued to in Tampa) because he is accurate, brilliant on the field and a top-shelf leader. If Mac Jones can be as accurate (seems plenty accurate), smart (all accounts seem to report this is at least good) and a leader (high marks all around on him here) I can see parallels. But is that all worth #15? You're drafting for need... I'd like it a little more if they were able to move back to the late 1st to get him and then use the compensation from that move to move UP again into the late 1st/early 2nd to grab a playmaker for him. But if they did use #15 on him I certainly wouldn't complain.

As Boomer B said, it’s understandable that Weis would be biased toward Brady Quinn. I think his comments are interesting and he is likely to have a similar view to Belichick.

June Jones likes him as well. Here’s an article where he explains why he thinks Mac Jones is the best QB in this draft.

"Mac's deep-ball accuracy is probably the best that I have graded in my years of coaching quarterbacks,"

I think it's a good point - Brady had unprecedented success in NE and was never the fastest or strongest-armed. He succeeded (and continued to in Tampa) because he is accurate, brilliant on the field and a top-shelf leader. If Mac Jones can be as accurate (seems plenty accurate), smart (all accounts seem to report this is at least good) and a leader (high marks all around on him here) I can see parallels. But is that all worth #15? You're drafting for need... I'd like it a little more if they were able to move back to the late 1st to get him and then use the compensation from that move to move UP again into the late 1st/early 2nd to grab a playmaker for him. But if they did use #15 on him I certainly wouldn't complain.
IMO, if there is one position you draft for need for...it's at QB. I get not reaching for a Tackle or DL or really any position other than QB. When you are a QB needy team you have to find a QB. Unless you want to give up the farm for a good QB or maybe the barn for an ok QB, or the fields for for a reclamation project and a TB or Peyton Manning don't fall into your lap, you have to get him in the draft.

I don't see the upside to getting a bridge guy that will get you to 9-7 / 10-6 a trip to the playoffs with an early exit looming. This is the same thing I said last year when we signed Newton. I predicted 8-8, obviously we went 7-9 and are now in no man's land in the draft as far as QB's go.

I would have rathered started Stidham went 2-14 and know he is not the guy and then draft someone you think will be the guy. Or if he went 8-8 or so but showed you can build around him, now you use all that cap money to do just that. Instead we are where we are. And I believe my feelings from last year still apply. Draft or play a young guy and see what you have. Mediocre seasons do nothing long term and hinder you from getting a guy you can win with.

Just my 0.02.

Brady seems to throw harder and have a much stronger arm than most would guess. I remember the sports science people measuring the velocity of the balls he threw, and they said he threw a faster ball (i.e. speed the ball was traveling) than any other QB in the NFL. I don't know how you measure that against how far someone can throw, how they throw off balance, etc., but sports science seemed to believe that Brady throws harder than anyone else.

I just hope that if they are truly interested in Jones, he's not as weak-armed as many are saying.

In a different year when Jones could be had in the 2nd I'd LOVE the pick. At 15? Not as much.

But if they take him there it tells me Bill likes him a lot so I'll give him a shot.
If the Pats and BB think Mac Jones is good enough to be a quality starter, you make this pick. It really does not matter the round.

Irregardless of the talent around him, the kid put the ball where it needed to be. People act as if his receivers were constantly making circus catches to bail him out. The kid consistently put the ball right where it needed to go. Hit his receivers in stride, threw them open when needed, safely put the ball where only his receivers could catch it. Didn't force the ball to certain receivers, read defenses, went through his progressions. And was an excellent leader on a team full of future NFL players.

The "look at how many weapons he had" crowd is head scratching. The kid played his ass off, put up arcade numbers (aided by the talent level of his receivers yes) similar to Burrows last season. I don't remember anyone knocking that kid going into the draft simply based on the talent around him.

The kid's a leader and a gamer at a position we need a better gamer at. Bring him on.
I agree with what you said but there are still things uncertain that can be concerning:
- Bama's offense play design and play calling was really good. He threw a lot of swings and screens who did result in td, a lot of YAC and Slants. That won't translate
- O-Line pass protection was really good, he usually had a lot of time and at some point his wr are open with time. He won't have this time at the next Level. My question is here how fast can he go trougj his reads and makes his decision. Is he able to throw the ball away or holds on to long. Idk about that, but I value this
That aren't the biggest things but still sth to look at. I can honestly see carolina take a shot at Jones cause they liked him at Senior bowl and admitted they lost a lot of close games so they are just a better qb play away from 8/9 wins. He might be gone by 15

4ywy94.gif

I agree with what you said but there are still things uncertain that can be concerning:
- Bama's offense play design and play calling was really good. He threw a lot of swings and screens who did result in td, a lot of YAC and Slants. That won't translate
- O-Line pass protection was really good, he usually had a lot of time and at some point his wr are open with time. He won't have this time at the next Level. My question is here how fast can he go trougj his reads and makes his decision. Is he able to throw the ball away or holds on to long. Idk about that, but I value this
That aren't the biggest things but still sth to look at. I can honestly see carolina take a shot at Jones cause they liked him at Senior bowl and admitted they lost a lot of close games so they are just a better qb play away from 8/9 wins. He might be gone by 15
Those are legit questions. I think a lot of what he does would translate well into our system. Especially with some FA upgrades.

But with that said who doesn't have questions coming into the league at the QB position? None of these kid's are guaranteed. Outside of what, Manning, Luck and presumably Lawrence no one has been considered sure fire coming out over the past 25 years or so?

I would be fine with Fitzpatrick in free agency and Jones in the first, and I wouldn’t bother tryouts to move down and still get him. If they like him enough just pull the trigger. Then go sign a WR and try to get Leonard Williams. That would be a good start.

What does Charlie Weiss know, all he did was develop the greatest QB in history in the QB's most critical development years, win 3 rings, plus be a part of the best drafting and development of players period during the entire Patriots dynasty.

Last edited:
Those are legit questions. I think a lot of what he does would translate well into our system. Especially with some FA upgrades.
Yeah no QB should get surrounded with that inferior Talent at WR/TE. Can't expect big things from a QB in that situation.
But with that said who doesn't have questions coming into the league at the QB position? None of these kid's are guaranteed. Outside of what, Manning, Luck and presumably Lawrence no one has been considered sure fire coming out over the past 25 years or so?
Yeah that's right, probably like 99 percent of the prospects have their questions/concerns which they need to improve. I just think especially the time he had is a big thing. I watched every Bama game this past season full time and he did made some nice throws under pressure but mostly they protected him well..i think tough he would be a good fit.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back