Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
It may be an interesting idea to have people comment on what changes they think will be made defensively.
Willie had a good interview where he broke down the issues including that he sees a lot of freelancing. His basic points were
1) they are doing what they think is best to make a play rather than trusting the system. The system is tried and true and proven to work if you follow it but it fails if you go off the reservation
2) on this team if you don't play the system you won't be playing long
3) front 7 freelancing has been a big issue.

So the changes I expect to see are:

More David Harris
More branch less butler (possibly a DT call up from ps is coming too. We are playing too light at DT)
Actually less GUY as butler already had his snaps cut to 11.

More 425 and less 335
This means flowers on one end and marsh and wise splitting the other with HT off the line along with vannoy (who I think loses snaps) and Harris in a rotation and HT moving to DE/OLB for passing downs.

More Chung so that McCourty can go back to FS and get out of the box. More single high safety.
Consistency with use of corners. Ideally to me it's Gilmore and Rowe outside and butler in the slot. Of course when playing man that is irrelevant, matchup by player.

What does everyone else think.
What you expect and/or what you would do.

And I realize there will be a bunch of cut Gilmore stuff, but let's be realistic. He is the most talented corner on the roster and is just 4 games jntona long term commitment.

Out of everyone who needs to learn to trust the system most, it's definitely Gilmore.

You can just tell he's trying to do his own thing out there, and it's failing miserably.

Out of everyone who needs to learn to trust the system most, it's definitely Gilmore.

You can just tell he's trying to do his own thing out there, and it's failing miserably.
I don't see that. I know every time something goes wrong people want to blame Gilmore but what specific examples do you have that were him doing his own thing?

I haven't heard Willie's radio spot yet, but I worry about Harris covering RBs out of the backfield. At this point though I'd give him a role on 1st/2nd down. The 3 safety defence hasn't worked.

I know the Pats play contain on running QBs but I think it's time to be creative and bring some extra pressure. Part of the issue with the secondary is how long they have to cover for.

I expect a better showing Thursday (it can't get worse, can it?) and I think the Pats get a big win in Tampa.

I don't understand much about defense but I'd like to see them go with a basic defense with as few packages as possible instead of changing every week according to the opponent because right now it seems they can't get anything right because there is too much information.

This might sound a little silly but our defenders need to have a pizza party or some sort of casual meeting together some night. *IF* the team pulls out a win Thursday, they will have a day or two to consider such a gathering.

Seems a good analysis. Maybe we should ask some Bills fans what they think, as I know you think they know more than Belichick. o_O

Chung's gradual reduction is playing time is concerning.

This might sound a little silly but our defenders need to have a pizza party or some sort of casual meeting together some night. *IF* the team pulls out a win Thursday, they will have a day or two to consider such a gathering.

They should have some kind of entertainment too. Maybe like a pony or bouncy house after Chuck E Cheese.

Definitely agree. Our interior leaves too many gaps. Valentine is a bigger loss than we realized. DT Butler is too chaotic much like Anthony Johnson last year and Guy is super inconsistent. Van Noy is getting waaaay too much playing time. I'd rather go big and slower like we have in the past if it is very organized. If need be go back to our roots with some 3-4 defense or five man fronts to eliminate the run. I truly believe our secondary will fix itself by mid-season.

I will add this Gilmore is being paid like a Shut Down CB he should start playing like one. I would also put Butler back on the Outside and live with his short coming there. Going into the Season I thought the Defensive Backfield was a Strength of this Team. Also if you can't bring pressure naturally you have to design creative Blitzes. That sit back and react D is not going to work with this current Front 7 we are too UN-Athletic there.

Definitely agree. Our interior leaves too many gaps. Valentine is a bigger loss than we realized. DT Butler is too chaotic much like Anthony Johnson last year and Guy is super inconsistent. Van Noy is getting waaaay too much playing time. I'd rather go big and slower like we have in the past if it is very organized. If need be go back to our roots with some 3-4 defense or five man fronts to eliminate the run. I truly believe our secondary will fix itself by mid-season.

Couldn't agree more on Vincent Valentine I didn't think Malcolm Brown was just a Slug. You can get guys that play like him well into Day 3 and not in the First Round, Brown is just too average.

I will add this Gilmore is being paid like a Shut Down CB he should start playing like one. I would also put Butler back on the Outside and live with his short coming there. Going into the Season I thought the Defensive Backfield was a Strength of this Team. Also if you can't bring pressure naturally you have to design creative Blitzes. That sit back and react D is not going to work with this current Front 7 we are too UN-Athletic there.
You have a dilemma here. If you believe the front 7 is unathletic (I do not) your plan to send blitzes that get picked up because they are unathletic takes them out of coverage and makes everyone cover more field for longer.

It's funny how people say the answer is to blitz as if blitzing always works and doesn't have a downside that is often greater than it's upside.

You'd think after watching Rex Ryan fail people would get that.

It may be an interesting idea to have people comment on what changes they think will be made defensively.
Willie had a good interview where he broke down the issues including that he sees a lot of freelancing. His basic points were
1) they are doing what they think is best to make a play rather than trusting the system. The system is tried and true and proven to work if you follow it but it fails if you go off the reservation
2) on this team if you don't play the system you won't be playing long
3) front 7 freelancing has been a big issue.

So the changes I expect to see are:

More David Harris
More branch less butler (possibly a DT call up from ps is coming too. We are playing too light at DT)
Actually less GUY as butler already had his snaps cut to 11.

More 425 and less 335
This means flowers on one end and marsh and wise splitting the other with HT off the line along with vannoy (who I think loses snaps) and Harris in a rotation and HT moving to DE/OLB for passing downs.

More Chung so that McCourty can go back to FS and get out of the box. More single high safety.
Consistency with use of corners. Ideally to me it's Gilmore and Rowe outside and butler in the slot. Of course when playing man that is irrelevant, matchup by player.

What does everyone else think.
What you expect and/or what you would do.

And I realize there will be a bunch of cut Gilmore stuff, but let's be realistic. He is the most talented corner on the roster and is just 4 games jntona long term commitment.

Like it. I'm hoping to see some attitude thursday. Bunch formation? Jam the **** out of them and knock them off of their routes.

Leave McCourty over the top.

Using Harris in the middle can't be anymore of liability than blowing coverages in the secondary all day.

Part of me wonders if letting the front four one gap more often would help create a turnover or a big play now and then.

I understand blitzing leaves a man open but not blitzing has left two. :eek::eek:

Front seven freelancing? First time I've heard of it. Why do you think that? I did see both Butler and Van Noy get caught up hitting the same gap and losing the edge containment a few times. Is that what you're talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes