PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Changes to be made for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding receivers, I'd like to see us hold onto Andre Davis. I love his speed, and he'd be a great threat in the slot. I really hope Givens stays.

Michigan Dave said:
Regarding receivers, I'd like to see us hold onto Andre Davis. I love his speed, and he'd be a great threat in the slot. I really hope Givens stays.

I'd also like to keep Andre'. But that means resigning Givens too, because we need that possession presence as well.

pats1 said:
I'd also like to keep Andre'. But that means resigning Givens too, because we need that possession presence as well.

Absolutely. I would not want Andre to be the #2 guy.

There aren't many critical needs. Obviously we need to sign a kicker, 1-2 wide receivers and a strong safety.
-----------------------------------------------------
WHERE COULD WE USE PLAYMAKERS

DEFENSE
I think a shutdown corner and a top strong safety would help enormously. Consider the imporvement if Law and Milloy were added. I'd feel more comfortable with an additional DL, since Hill is still a question mark, and Klecko isn't.

OFFENSE
The #1 focus of the offseason must be wide receiver. We have Branch signed for 2006, and a bunch of free agents.

I agree another heir apparent running back would be a good idea.

Drafting one more stud on the right side of the OL would set that line for several years. Also recall that Koppen is on his contract year.

SPECIAL TEAMS
We need a kicker. Vinatieri will continue getting paid much more than anyone in the league as long as we pay. We could franchise one more year, but then I would expect that we would make a switch for 2007.

BelichickFan said:
What's everyone's opinion of Gorin ? Is he good enough at RT ? If so a move of Kaczur to RG could happen and we could spend the re-signing money of Neal elsewhere.

IMO, I think Gorin & Ashworth are comparable with run blocking, but that Ashworth is a better pass blocker. Plus, Ash has shown he can step in on the left side if needed.

I think our priority offensively during the offseason should be on making the running game stronger, which will take pressure off Brady and make him even more effective. I'd like to see Neal stay. I think we need a fast young back who has some durability and can spell Dillon on first and second downs. I wouldn't be all that confident going into the season with just Dillon, Faulk and Pass again. I'm a bit concerned about Dillon -- I hope his drop-off this past season was due only to injuries (his and the o-line's) and not his having lost a step.

We have several areas where we can improve on both sides. First on my list would be a game changing playmaker at wideout. I like branch and his ability to find the holes, and Davids ability to be steady and consistent, but we dont have a true homerun threat like a steve smith, T.O, chad johnson i.e. Upgrading the wideout position is a must. Dillon looked very tentative and slow the last few games. He had moments that reminded me of last season, but not enough to rely on for 2006. Time to draft a day 1 work horse back or pick up a free agent. Gorin has been terrible for 2 years in pass protection. Ash and neal returning along with the rest of our injured olinemen being healthy turn a 2005 weakness into 2006 strenght. Oline should remain our #1 priority.... Lastly we need a playmaker at SS. Rodney is one of my favorite players so I will hope its him in 2006. That being said I think a day one pick is in order for a SS.

The one reason I would like a top CB isn't the actual play of Samuel/Hobbs/Gay but the perception. They've played well enough for the most part but because they're looked at as a weakness, teams are now attacking them consistently and we all know, even before Saturday, how easy it is to have pass interference called. After the way Carolina attacked us in SB 38 I'm surprised teams didn't go after us in this way in 2004 but, regardless, they are unmerciful at doing it now especially as no-one can run on us. While I still think WR is our biggest need, having a beefed up secondary that scares teams from attacking downfield would be very helpful.

I think Gorin is absolutely the weakest part of our O-Line. If we could get one more SOLID cog on that line, it would be set. The Line of Light-Mankins-Koppen-Hoch/Neal- is great, but Gorin is soft and Ashworth isn't that much better. I've always felt as though these two were stop gaps to something better, I just dont know what.

Also, I would prefer Neal to get resigned, but I could deal with Hoch if it came to that.

AndyJohnson said:
What do you feel needs to change for next year?

My opinion:

1) Offensive Line. I think our OL had its worst year since 2002. Sure you can use the injuries to Dillon as a rationalization. Yes Brady was not sacked a lot, but he saw tough pressure at critical times that affected what he could do.
Hopefully Light and Koppen are 100%. They are our 2 best OL. Mankins will be better in year 2, even though I thought we played pretty well. I am not sold on Neal being a stud. He may be allowed to leave. Kaczur IMO will start somewhere, but if Light is healthy it wont be LT. Possibly RT. We may end up with only Mankins remaining as a starter from the team that played Saturday.

2) Secondary. Of course making changes depends on staying healthy. We couldnt have bolstered the secondary more than we did last off-season. I am thrilled with Samuel and Hobbs III at corners. Gay should be OK as a #3. Between Starks, Poole, Chad Scott, Poteat, we will bring back some expereinced depth. If Harrison is OK, I like our safeties with Rodney, Wilson, then Hawkins and the best of the rest. (Whoever earns it, my guess so far is Sanders) Change will depend on health, but just a return to health would equal change.

3) QB. We need a vet backup

4) WR. IF Givens returns, and I feel he will, we will just have a reshuffling of backups. We have enough quality guys in Brown, Dwight, Davis, Bethel that returneed plus minor moves will keep us in fine shape. If Givens is not back we will sign a replacement FA.

5) RB. I think we absolutely need a draft pick to groom. 06 will be fine with Dillon and Faulk, but that replacement needs to be in the mix. I'd like to see it be a day one pick with potential who could help in 06 but may not.

6) K. Is it only me, or does anyone else feel Vinaiteri may not be back? I think that his money demands may be much less likely to meet after Saturdays game. His biggest value is clutch. He missed one, shanked another that got through, and was awful on kickoffs (surprisingly because he was good this year) in the thin air. He isnt getting any younger. I know Ks last forever, but AV has been in the NFL 10 years now, and losing some leg strength could be coming. I know he is an icon, but do we pay top dollar at this point in his career? I probably would, but Im not sure BB will.

At the risk of sounding sycophantic, I'd agree with all of that. Hopefully, Mankins will develop into the road grader that Dillon or whoever needs. I understand that the draft is quite deep in running backs. What about an ILB to groom under Bruschi's wing?

Last edited:
No one seems to agree on this: is Rodney coming back next year? Obviously that makes a huge difference.

What about Tyrone Poole? Maybe I'm off the mark, but he seemed to be doing well last year.

mgteich said:
There aren't many critical needs. Obviously we need to sign a kicker, 1-2 wide receivers and a strong safety.
-----------------------------------------------------
WHERE COULD WE USE PLAYMAKERS

DEFENSE
I think a shutdown corner and a top strong safety would help enormously. Consider the imporvement if Law and Milloy were added. I'd feel more comfortable with an additional DL, since Hill is still a question mark, and Klecko isn't.

OFFENSE
The #1 focus of the offseason must be wide receiver. We have Branch signed for 2006, and a bunch of free agents.

I agree another heir apparent running back would be a good idea.

Drafting one more stud on the right side of the OL would set that line for several years. Also recall that Koppen is on his contract year.

SPECIAL TEAMS
We need a kicker. Vinatieri will continue getting paid much more than anyone in the league as long as we pay. We could franchise one more year, but then I would expect that we would make a switch for 2007.

MG -
How would adding Milloy be an improvement? One of the reasons that BB was fine parting ways with Milloy was the fact that Milloy had lost a step. Nothing about his play in Buffalo has shown that NOT to be true.

Bringing back Law, to me, isn't an upgrade either.

I think that Hill isn't as much of a question mark as some of us would believe since he was on the field in both goal line situations and more than held his own.

I agree that we need someone for the NT position, though I think that Santonio Thomas and Mike Wright showed enough to make this a lesser issue.

I agree with the rest of your assessment.

CheerforTom said:
No one seems to agree on this: is Rodney coming back next year? Obviously that makes a huge difference.

What about Tyrone Poole? Maybe I'm off the mark, but he seemed to be doing well last year.

In an interview that Rodney did a few weeks ago, he sounded very positive about the potential of him being ready to play next season.

As for Ty Poole, I think he will be gone to free up cap room.

chunkyponyTE82 said:
I think Gorin is absolutely the weakest part of our O-Line. If we could get one more SOLID cog on that line, it would be set. The Line of Light-Mankins-Koppen-Hoch/Neal- is great, but Gorin is soft and Ashworth isn't that much better. I've always felt as though these two were stop gaps to something better, I just dont know what.

Don't you think Kaczur is the "something better?" To me he is a no-brainer quasi-LOCK as next year's RT. No?

CheerforTom said:

When reading BB's comments after the game I got the impression that he thought Rodney would be back.

From Christopher Price's blog:
"Q: As you do make plans, do you have a feel as to whether or not Rodney Harrison will be a part of those plans?
BB: I think he's coming along. We'll see how it goes. I don't know. He has a lot of work to do, but we'll see how it goes. I certainly wouldn't count him out at this point. I definitely wouldn't do that. "

Last edited:
Dillon looked alot like Antwain Smith this year. I would love it if they took Lendale White with their first pick. He will be awesome.

I think that Kaczur did an outstanding job at LT. He was able to handle Freeney and Schoebel extremely well with very little help. He even handled Jason Taylor. I would say that Kaczur will give Light a run for his money at LT. And moving Light to RT wouldn't be a bad thing. In fact, it would probably give us a very dominating line. Kaczur actually played better than Matt Light did his rookie year. Light allowed 10 sacks to Kaczur's 8.25.

As others have said, the player who is the weakest link in Brandon Gorin. I, like many others, hope the Patriots bring in another OT to replace Gorin.

This will be a very exciting off-season for the Patriots. Particularly, free agency and the draft.

Our OL could use one more stud like everyone said. Could it be our 1st round pick again this year? A mauling RT like McNeil from Auburn? Then move Kaczur to OG and not sign Neal? I don't know if that is what I would want but it is a possibility. I think one of our main needs that everyone is missing is our lack of speed on defense. But then again it is tough to find players big and fast enough to fit our system.

different opinion

pats1 said:
From what I've seen in cumulative tape over the season, I'd rank the performances by our offensive linemen as such (best-to-worst):

1) Mankins
2) Kaczur
3) Hochstein
4) Ashworth
5) Neal
6) Gorin
mankins suffered thu all the things that veteran DLss do to OL. what mankins showed me is that he's gonna be a great guard for 10 years, god willing.
starting next year.
but ya can't give 2 rookies the best performance slots.
1) hochstein
2) mankins
3) neal
4 kaczur
5 ashworth (too low, your placement is better.
6) gorin
i guess the area whwe we really disagree is neal and kaczur. i am a kaczur guy, i follow the toledo rockets, have seen him in maybe 16 games. i think he's a starter-=quality pick. probably RT.
think of a nasty version of Light. kaczur is slower, tho so he might wind up at guaard.

we should make a trade for domanick davis of houston
i know we talked about this earlier about a month ago
i think it would be a very efficient use of our draft pix, since hes better than any guy we could get in the first rd and u wouldnt have to trade a first rd pick to get him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back