Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
What do you feel needs to change for next year?

My opinion:

1) Offensive Line. I think our OL had its worst year since 2002. Sure you can use the injuries to Dillon as a rationalization. Yes Brady was not sacked a lot, but he saw tough pressure at critical times that affected what he could do.
Hopefully Light and Koppen are 100%. They are our 2 best OL. Mankins will be better in year 2, even though I thought we played pretty well. I am not sold on Neal being a stud. He may be allowed to leave. Kaczur IMO will start somewhere, but if Light is healthy it wont be LT. Possibly RT. We may end up with only Mankins remaining as a starter from the team that played Saturday.

2) Secondary. Of course making changes depends on staying healthy. We couldnt have bolstered the secondary more than we did last off-season. I am thrilled with Samuel and Hobbs III at corners. Gay should be OK as a #3. Between Starks, Poole, Chad Scott, Poteat, we will bring back some expereinced depth. If Harrison is OK, I like our safeties with Rodney, Wilson, then Hawkins and the best of the rest. (Whoever earns it, my guess so far is Sanders) Change will depend on health, but just a return to health would equal change.

3) QB. We need a vet backup

4) WR. IF Givens returns, and I feel he will, we will just have a reshuffling of backups. We have enough quality guys in Brown, Dwight, Davis, Bethel that returneed plus minor moves will keep us in fine shape. If Givens is not back we will sign a replacement FA.

5) RB. I think we absolutely need a draft pick to groom. 06 will be fine with Dillon and Faulk, but that replacement needs to be in the mix. I'd like to see it be a day one pick with potential who could help in 06 but may not.

6) K. Is it only me, or does anyone else feel Vinaiteri may not be back? I think that his money demands may be much less likely to meet after Saturdays game. His biggest value is clutch. He missed one, shanked another that got through, and was awful on kickoffs (surprisingly because he was good this year) in the thin air. He isnt getting any younger. I know Ks last forever, but AV has been in the NFL 10 years now, and losing some leg strength could be coming. I know he is an icon, but do we pay top dollar at this point in his career? I probably would, but Im not sure BB will.

AndyJohnson said:

Assuming, of course, that Flutie hangs it up; he's probably still got another year left in him. :)

5) RB. I think we absolutely need a draft pick to groom. 06 will be fine with Dillon and Faulk, but that replacement needs to be in the mix. I'd like to see it be a day one pick with potential who could help in 06 but may not.

Agreed.

6) K. Is it only me, or does anyone else feel Vinaiteri may not be back? I think that his money demands may be much less likely to meet after Saturdays game. His biggest value is clutch. He missed one, shanked another that got through, and was awful on kickoffs (surprisingly because he was good this year) in the thin air. He isnt getting any younger. I know Ks last forever, but AV has been in the NFL 10 years now, and losing some leg strength could be coming. I know he is an icon, but do we pay top dollar at this point in his career? I probably would, but Im not sure BB will.

Vinatieri's agent was suspended by the NFLPA for a year; certainly that had something to do with it. OTOH, I think the same factors that kept Troy Brown here over a better offer from the Saints will keep Vinatieri here in the long run--he's a folk hero here with local endorsement deals that supplement his salary.

Besides, BB knows the value of having a reliable kicker. I'm sure they'll work something out in the off-season.

The O-line did not dominate in the playoffs the way we have come to expect, but with Ashworth (whom I want back) starting as an injury replacement at LT, we are once again reminded of what this line went through this year. We've played 3 LTs,2 LGs, 2Cs, 1 RG, and 3 RTs over the course of the season. We've used 6 different RBs and 4 TEs trying to patch together a team. We've got two more rookie LTs in Dante's incubator.

Controlling the LOS was my key to the game in Nut's thread, well, we achieved 50%, but I'm not ready to throw a line that got to the Divisional level with two rookies side-by-side on the left side into the recycle bin. Let's see what Dante can do with those second year players and the returning IR commandos.

AndyJohnson said:

My opinion:

1) Offensive Line. I think our OL had its worst year since 2002. Sure you can use the injuries to Dillon as a rationalization. Yes Brady was not sacked a lot, but he saw tough pressure at critical times that affected what he could do.
Hopefully Light and Koppen are 100%. They are our 2 best OL. Mankins will be better in year 2, even though I thought we played pretty well. I am not sold on Neal being a stud. He may be allowed to leave. Kaczur IMO will start somewhere, but if Light is healthy it wont be LT. Possibly RT. We may end up with only Mankins remaining as a starter from the team that played Saturday.

2) Secondary. Of course making changes depends on staying healthy. We couldnt have bolstered the secondary more than we did last off-season. I am thrilled with Samuel and Hobbs III at corners. Gay should be OK as a #3. Between Starks, Poole, Chad Scott, Poteat, we will bring back some expereinced depth. If Harrison is OK, I like our safeties with Rodney, Wilson, then Hawkins and the best of the rest. (Whoever earns it, my guess so far is Sanders) Change will depend on health, but just a return to health would equal change.

4) WR. IF Givens returns, and I feel he will, we will just have a reshuffling of backups. We have enough quality guys in Brown, Dwight, Davis, Bethel that returneed plus minor moves will keep us in fine shape. If Givens is not back we will sign a replacement FA.

The only change I disagree with is Vinaiteri. He missed a field goal, but the whole team choked. Should we get rid of Brady because of his 2 INT's ? Should we get rid of Hobbs because of his terrible special teams play ? A lot of things happened that usually don't happen to us in the playoffs. I'll chalk it up to one bad game, and go from there. I'll never forget the kick missed by Morten Anderson of the Vikings back in 1998, he is one of the alltime greats, but he missed a big kick, and the 15-1 Vikings didn't make the Super Bowl. He was back kicking the next year. Don't give up on Vinaiteri just yet, though the money he is asking may end his career as a Patriot.

In terms of starters, WR is the only position in flux IMO.

- WR we have Branch, Bethel and Bam signed. While it's cute that they all start with B, we need a #2 and a #3 WR. We missed Patten more than I expected and there were times that Branch and Givens didn't get open when Brady had time. We need to either re-sign Givens and get a better #3 WR or let Givens go and upgrade from him. The need to upgrade the #3 spot is lessened if Graham and Watson could actually be healthy together. My preference would be to get another quick WR like Branch to go with Branch and the two TE set.

Other than that, I'm ready to go :)

Other tweaking :

- Neal was a little disappointing to me. Re-sign him, sign a replacement, put Hoch in, whatever, it makes little difference to me. Keep in mind a lot of people though Kaczur would move to Guard in the NFL, so a Light-Mankins-Koppen-Kaczur-Gorin line could also happen.

- We could use some depth at DL unless Wright and Hill can contribute in case of injury.

- LB, of course we need to look to replacements for Bru and Willie but it's not an immediate concern.

- Even against a solid passing team, Wilson and Hawkins held up fine as did Samuel and Hobbs. Add Gay back to the mix, plus Scott and Sanders and, hopefully, Rodney and we don't need to add much here unless there's a guy we REALLY like. If we love one of the safeties I wouldn't mind going in that direction and considering moving Wilson back to CB to give us 4 solid guys there (assuming Wilson can make the move without a problem).

- Adam, who knows, but he gets a 20% raise if we franchise him again.

- Oh, RB. We're stuck with Dillon's big cap number and Faulk is what he is. RB can usually come in and adjust to the NFL quickly so I'm not in any mood to draft a guy high to develop but, sure, a #3 or so pick if the right guy is there would work. We have to get a running game again next year.

As far as kicker goes, just look at the Cowboys. Undone because they didn't have a competant kicker. It happens to 1 or 2 teams every year.

Vinatieri isn't going anywhere, certainly not because he missed one kick in Denver. He'll have a new agent this year so hopefully they'll work out a long term deal.

If not, he'll be the franchise player. The Pats are in a good situation with the franchise tag b/c they don't have anyone else they can really use it on: Seymore is under contract for another year so if they do anything w/ him this offseason it won't involve the franchise tag. Givens and Neal are the only other starters who are ufa and you wouldn't pay them top-5 money.

So Adam is staying either in a long-term deal or as the franchise player.

We need some help at LB and in the Secondary.

We could use an upgrade at RB.

Disagree with Backup vet QB - Cassell is fine.

Also disagree with a New Kicker - Vinetari is a legend. His poor kicking at Denver was uncharacteristic like rest of the team.

Drafting LInemen on both sides of the ball is a good idea.

Let Fauria go away,

Get Seymour locked up at all costs (almost all costs).

There is a lot of talent coming into the league next year and Saban will be in year 2 of his program and will be a constant threat.

Box_O_Rocks said:
The O-line did not dominate in the playoffs the way we have come to expect, but with Ashworth (whom I want back) starting as an injury replacement at LT, we are once again reminded of what this line went through this year. We've played 3 LTs,2 LGs, 2Cs, 1 RG, and 3 RTs over the course of the season. We've used 6 different RBs and 4 TEs trying to patch together a team. We've got two more rookie LTs in Dante's incubator.

Controlling the LOS was my key to the game in Nut's thread, well, we achieved 50%, but I'm not ready to throw a line that got to the Divisional level with two rookies side-by-side on the left side into the recycle bin. Let's see what Dante can do with those second year players and the returning IR commandos.
Im not saying recycle bin. Im saying the OL in next years opener will be very different than what we finished this year with.

A big part of that is Light and Koppen. Another factor is that Kaczur needs a spot, and Light is taking his back. Kaczur is definitely one of the 5 best, so a postion change seems in order. Mankins has a lot of position flexibility too, so a move from him is not out of the question.

Just being healthy means we have 3 'new' starters compared to Saturday.

I think when you find the best 5, position changes will result also.

AndyJohnson said:
I think when you find the best 5, position changes will result also.
What's everyone's opinion of Gorin ? Is he good enough at RT ? If so a move of Kaczur to RG could happen and we could spend the re-signing money of Neal elsewhere.

Im not killing Vinatieri, I said I would bring him back.

I just look at it this way. SOMEDAY he will leave because his skills have eroded. When you are the top paid guy at your position, that day comes earlier unless you take a paycut.

That day isnt 10 years away, and through all of those factors has a chance to be now.

As I said, I know he is an icon, but any open minded observer would admit he was not as good this year as usual.

AndyJohnson said:
I just look at it this way. SOMEDAY he will leave because his skills have eroded. When you are the top paid guy at your position, that day comes earlier unless you take a paycut.

That day isnt 10 years away, and through all of those factors has a chance to be now.
Adam will be 34 in December, that day is coming a lot sooner than we would like to think.

BelichickFan said:
What's everyone's opinion of Gorin ? Is he good enough at RT ? If so a move of Kaczur to RG could happen and we could spend the re-signing money of Neal elsewhere.

I think Gorin is acceptable, but a guy you would upgrade if you could.

Id rather have Neal at RG and Kaczur at RT, than Kaczur-Gorin.

I wouldnt be disapointed with Light-Mankins-Koppen-Kaczur-Gorin if we dont have the resources to add either a G or T, but I think if you added a stud to one of those spots, youd have an super OL.

BelichickFan said:
In terms of starters, WR is the only position in flux IMO.

- WR we have Branch, Bethel and Bam signed.

Bam isn't signed. He's an Exclusive Rights Free Agent.

pats1 said:
Bam isn't signed. He's an Exclusive Rights Free Agent.
Oh, OK. His signing or not is basically irrelevant, though, unless he's a lot more ready than I assume. WR is the glaring issue right now.

BelichickFan said:
Adam will be 34 in December, that day is coming a lot sooner than we would like to think.

OTOH, this year looks like a regression (whether it was or not) simply because he had such a banner year in 2004. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a 3- or 4-year deal, though.

I think it's time for a change on Special Teams and I'm not talking about the players, I'm talking about the coach. His units have been mediocre at best for a couple of years now. Even with better special teams players, there was very little improvement.

I also think that BB should take a closer look at our stregnth and conditioning program. It would be nice to get through one season. JUST ONE, without and epidemic of injuries.

AndyJohnson said:
I think Gorin is acceptable, but a guy you would upgrade if you could.

Id rather have Neal at RG and Kaczur at RT, than Kaczur-Gorin.

I wouldnt be disapointed with Light-Mankins-Koppen-Kaczur-Gorin if we dont have the resources to add either a G or T, but I think if you added a stud to one of those spots, youd have an super OL.
AJ,

Your clarifications on the OL are points I agree with. I'm actually pretty comfortable with the talent there, I think that relieving Dante of some of the OC duties and having a second year OL assistant will help too. Light reclaiming LT is not critical, I'm perfectly happy with him in the mix for RT - I think Gorin was left there for continuity, but we need a better pass blocker there and Ashworth is going to be tempted by teams looking for a solid swing tackle. Considering how Freeney abused the Steelers back-up LT (compared to ours), we're in great shape for speed rushers, I'd just like to improve the run blocking.

From what I've seen in cumulative tape over the season, I'd rank the performances by our offensive linemen as such (best-to-worst):

1) Mankins
2) Kaczur
3) Hochstein
4) Ashworth
5) Neal
6) Gorin

Box_O_Rocks said:
AJ,

Your clarifications on the OL are points I agree with. I'm actually pretty comfortable with the talent there, I think that relieving Dante of some of the OC duties and having a second year OL assistant will help too. Light reclaiming LT is not critical, I'm perfectly happy with him in the mix for RT - I think Gorin was left there for continuity, but we need a better pass blocker there and Ashworth is going to be tempted by teams looking for a solid swing tackle. Considering how Freeney abused the Steelers back-up LT (compared to ours), we're in great shape for speed rushers, I'd just like to improve the run blocking.

Agree, except thgat Light is a far superior LT to anyone else we have.

As far as run blocking:

Light may be one of the top 3 run blocking LTs in the NFL.
Koppen is solid.

Mankins will be an absolute mauler.

On the right side with Kaczur, Gorin, Neal (I think its our decision whether he is back or not) Ashworth, Hochstein to choose from, we'll certainly be OK, but I cant help feeling adding that one 'stud' would make this a tremendous OL.

BB has shown a tendency that when he builds up a unit, he comes back and strenghtens it further. I would not be at all shocked to see FA move(s) or draft choices at OL.

I don't see a lot of starting spots to fill right now.

WR is one with Givens unsigned. I expect him to be very highly sought in FA and probably go elsewhere. Unless Indy lets Wayne walk Givens is essentially the only WR on the market and he is going to command more than he is probably worth. As a former 7th round pick he has never made his $ so I expect he will take the $ and move on.

OL has a spot with Neal unsigned. If he resigns Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, and Kazcur are set as our starters.

S with Rodney uncertain is a question.

K with Adam a FA.

That is really it as of today for starting spots. Things could change with cap casualties but we are in very good position to fill our holes, upgrade anywhere we desire, and add quality depth to thinner spots like DL and RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes