PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

X's & O's Chalk Talk: NE @ Dallas

RULES FOR THIS THREAD:
1) No attacking or criticizing fellow posters, the players, or the coaching.
2) Stick to breaking down plays, not criticizing performance, execution, or messing up.
3) It's ok to identify who blew a play or assignment, but stop right there.
4) It's ok to disagree with analysis from beat writers, but not to criticize them.
5) No coulda, woulda, shoulda, or Brady woulda's.

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Before we start on this thread, I want to point out that football is a game that starts at the line of scrimmage. And if a team loses badly at the line as we did yesterday, then nothing else works, not the quarterbacking, not the playcalling, not the route running. Nothing. So while it becomes easy to criticize all the other elements for failing, it's hard to give them a true evaluation when the battle at the line of scrimmage is lost.

A lot of posters want to skewer and dismember Mac Jones, but what I saw was someone who was trying too hard to make things happen, I saw someone forcing things, doing desperate things like throwing back across the field twice. He got away with it the first time but Dallas was ready for it the second time.

This is one of those games where the team just has to bury the gameball and move on, and so should we, so I probably won't spend too much time on it for this week.

Mac is credited here when he's actually bailing out and throwing off his back foot. This is his problem quintessentially. He does this a lot. Yes, it works some of the time, but most of the time it doesn't. It leads to inaccuracy, it leads to turnovers, and most of all, when you teammates see him like this, it doesn't instill confidence. If he's not throwing off his back foot, he's panciking, leaving the pocket early, turning his back on the play, and running right into the teeth of the pass rush.

The 3rd down high low concept clip (2 plays) perfectly illustrates three Mac deficiencies I noticed far too often this summer in TC when he was simply playing catch with receivers running routes uncovered.

1) Incredibly late recognition of the open receiver
2) Throwing off back foot
3) Low velocity passes

Quicker recognition would have given him ample time to incorporate proper mechanics....aka.... a stride forward in order to boost pass velocity. But truthfully, his back foot throw is his modus operandi.

Sorry Not Sorry Idk GIF by GaryVee

Mac is credited here when he's actually bailing out and throwing off his back foot. This is his problem quintessentially. He does this a lot. Yes, it works some of the time, but most of the time it doesn't. It leads to inaccuracy, it leads to turnovers, and most of all, when you teammates see him like this, it doesn't instill confidence. If he's not throwing off his back foot, he's panciking, leaving the pocket early, turning his back on the play, and running right into the teeth of the pass rush.
You're not wrong, but this isn't really the place for criticizing (or complimenting) Mac. Please try to stick to the Xs and Os. We're trying to keep these threads solely about that.

Before we start on this thread, I want to point out that football is a game that starts at the line of scrimmage. And if a team loses badly at the line as we did yesterday, then nothing else works, not the quarterbacking, not the playcalling, not the route running. Nothing. So while it becomes easy to criticize all the other elements for failing, it's hard to give them a true evaluation when the battle at the line of scrimmage is lost.

A lot of posters want to skewer and dismember Mac Jones, but what I saw was someone who was trying too hard to make things happen, I saw someone forcing things, doing desperate things like throwing back across the field twice. He got away with it the first time but Dallas was ready for it the second time.

This is one of those games where the team just has to bury the gameball and move on, and so should we, so I probably won't spend too much time on it for this week.
Agreed! It's going to be on the patriots to dictate how thier season will go on from here.. you win as a team and loose as such. That they did yesterday. I'm never going to fault Mac for trying to make a play.. without Gonzo and Judon we can forget about being elite on defense.. the offense is going to have to do something in order to salvage this season.

Why can’t I see the rest of the posts in this thread? All I see is @mike_usagisan’s post.

Why can’t I see the rest of the posts in this thread? All I see is @mike_usagisan’s post.
Not sure on this. I'm checking into it. I think someone else ran into something similar so I'll see if it's the same thing here.

I checked and don't see the same issue. So it's possible you're on a blocked list from that user :(

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back