PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Centerfield

They are getting done to them, the same thing they did to the Marlins. The front office has their heart set on this guy Crisp. We are giving up alot to get him, so I hope he works out.

well

Hoyer was apparently just on WEEI and said that the sox never gave physicals to mota, beckett, or lowel before the trade. They just reviewed their medical records. Nice job guys, in a trade that big with 3 guys with past injuries----no physicals. If beckett goes down this year with an injury, heads are sure to roll.

Who knows what will happen now?

Morgan rips sox!

Just another reason why they should have kept Morgan!

http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/05/snstory.pl?-sec-Sports+1k589g0+fn-drmorgansn.0126-20060126-

Here is another quote:

"'When I heard it yesterday, that these guys didn't have physicals, I thought, 'What is going on!? This didn't happen on my watch, did it?' said Dr. William Morgan, the (former) Red Sox's team physician.

"'That's unacceptable. Let me put it this way, the only way to really understand what is really going on with a player or a pitcher is to put your hands on them, talk to them and physically examine them. I lend much less credence to studies than to physical examinations. This was a point of discussion between myself and the administration in regards to Pedro Martinez, for example. We had a questionable MRI, but the physical examination was perfect and the performance was perfect.

"'Any physician that does not examine a patient — I don't care if it's a professional baseball player or Joe Blow living down the street — you aren't serving your patient completely.'"
-- 1.26.06, Rob Bradford, Eagle-Tribune

Every player out there with any mileage on his body will fail a physical if the team in question wants him to. Mota failed his physical because word of this trade got out to the Cleveland fans and they screamed bloody murder. They don't want to win later, they want to win now and this deal was about winning later for them. The funny part is how in a few years those same fans will ***** at the Indians' management for not grabbing Marte when the chance came up.

well

sdaniels7114 said:
Every player out there with any mileage on his body will fail a physical if the team in question wants him to. Mota failed his physical because word of this trade got out to the Cleveland fans and they screamed bloody murder. They don't want to win later, they want to win now and this deal was about winning later for them. The funny part is how in a few years those same fans will ***** at the Indians' management for not grabbing Marte when the chance came up.

That may be true, but it still shows how lousy the sox are this year with their new medical staff! Let's hope the sox don't panic and give away the farm. Don't throw in any other top tier prospects----call their bluff and walk away if need be!

I can't imagine having Morgan would've made a difference. It was the team's decision. They didn't want to bother with physicals, for whatever reason, and that was it.

Ya

Johnny Mac said:
I can't imagine having Morgan would've made a difference. It was the team's decision. They didn't want to bother with physicals, for whatever reason, and that was it.

I understand it was the teams' decision---however in the article it said that the team doctor made the rules. So up until he was replaced, it was team policy (minor or major's ) that every player be checked out by him or his staff!

Yes, but I don't think it would've mattered. They had concerns from the MRIs, and they ignored them. If Morgan was there and had his way, I don't doubt they still would've done the trade, irregardless of what he said.

true

Johnny Mac said:
Yes, but I don't think it would've mattered. They had concerns from the MRIs, and they ignored them. If Morgan was there and had his way, I don't doubt they still would've done the trade, irregardless of what he said.

True, it may have made no difference-----but at least the FO of the sox wouldn't look so stupid now. Now with the indians crying about mota, the sox can't fall back and say we examined him and he was fine!

Apparently it's done. They added cash and a ptbnl. Bleh.

done deal...and we did not give up Delcarmen...yes!

I do not like this trade. When the Sox won it all a couple of years ago, I thought one of the residual effects was that since we exorcised the demons we could start running the franchise smarter.

Do we need to be a top team EVERY year? What's wrong with taking a step back to take three steps forward?

Andy Marte is the kind of player we need to be acquiring and keeping...NOT trading away. We had a potential star player at 3B and we had him cost controlled for years. Now we have an expensive player at 3B for two years who may have started a precipitous slide, at best we will need another 3B in a couple of years.

The Sox gave up way too much in young talent, and now we don't even have a young C prospect if Varitek starts to lose it...Bard sounds worthless.

So if Varitek and Lowell decline, I guess we can rape our farm club again to find replacements...and we just gave away two guys who would have potentially filled the bill, and they are young and cheap.

If the Sox hadn't won it all two years ago, and we all know how close they were to losing it, then the trade of Garciaparra and Murton for Cabrera and Mientkiewicz wouldn't look very good now...would it?

well

The Gr8est said:
I do not like this trade. When the Sox won it all a couple of years ago, I thought one of the residual effects was that since we exorcised the demons we could start running the franchise smarter.

Do we need to be a top team EVERY year? What's wrong with taking a step back to take three steps forward?

Andy Marte is the kind of player we need to be acquiring and keeping...NOT trading away. We had a potential star player at 3B and we had him cost controlled for years. Now we have an expensive player at 3B for two years who may have started a precipitous slide, at best we will need another 3B in a couple of years.

The Sox gave up way too much in young talent, and now we don't even have a young C prospect if Varitek starts to lose it...Bard sounds worthless.

So if Varitek and Lowell decline, I guess we can rape our farm club again to find replacements...and we just gave away two guys who would have potentially filled the bill, and they are young and cheap.

If the Sox hadn't won it all two years ago, and we all know how close they were to losing it, then the trade of Garciaparra and Murton for Cabrera and Mientkiewicz wouldn't look very good now...would it?

Well, that was a a good trade even if we didn't win it all. The problem is, that we should have signed O-cab (like i was screaming for) instead of getting rent-a-wreck! We could have had o-cab for 4/24 then, instead we thought we would "upgrade" and get rent--now look where we are. Becuase of the huge deal we gave rent, the angels signed o-cab to a huge, backloaded, deal,,,,and they can't afford to keep him now! This is one of the moves that got the "what was Theo thinking" moments!

Other than that, i agree with everything else you said!

Hey all, just wanted to stop by and say congrats on filling Damon's sopt with Coco, i just don't understand why your FO got rid of Marte. I can't wait for the season to begin!! Being a Yankees fan, im not sure that i like the Damon signing, i think that he did you guys wrong, everytime i thought about the Red Sox, he came to mind, i guess they are all in it for the money.

mtbykr said:
Well, that was a a good trade even if we didn't win it all. The problem is, that we should have signed O-cab (like i was screaming for) instead of getting rent-a-wreck! We could have had o-cab for 4/24 then, instead we thought we would "upgrade" and get rent--now look where we are. Becuase of the huge deal we gave rent, the angels signed o-cab to a huge, backloaded, deal,,,,and they can't afford to keep him now! This is one of the moves that got the "what was Theo thinking" moments!

Other than that, i agree with everything else you said!

My criticism is not as much for losing Garciaparra as Murton. I don't know why we needed to include him, I think Garciaparra and maybe a MUCH lesser prospect was more than enough. We could sure use Murton now.

The Gr8est said:

the only reason we took lowell is to get a young 25 year old josh beckett .we gave up marte a unproven player that could be a bust or great you never know with prospects for a young talented player [crisp 26 years old ]its not like they are dumping prospects for 35 year olds.we still have plenty of great young pitching prospects lester pappelbon delcarmon and that closer i cant think of his name .so nobody is raping the farm system .name the last ten number one prospects .you cant and i cant either .thats the point .bring on coco .i love this trade

What's with you and that "top 10 prospects" thing? It's silly. I can tell you last year's top prospect: King Felix. I'd kill for him. 2004 was Joe Mauer, who put up .294/.372/.411 in his rookie year. Damn impressive. 2003? Mark Teixeira. Who wouldn't love to have him? 2002 was a little someone named Josh Beckett. I could go on, but there's really no point.

I like Coco, and I don't think this is the worst trade in the world. I'm just going to hate watching what Marte becomes.

Johnny Mac said:
What's with you and that "top 10 prospects" thing? It's silly. I can tell you last year's top prospect: King Felix. I'd kill for him. 2004 was Joe Mauer, who put up .294/.372/.411 in his rookie year. Damn impressive. 2003? Mark Teixeira. Who wouldn't love to have him? 2002 was a little someone named Josh Beckett. I could go on, but there's really no point.

I like Coco, and I don't think this is the worst trade in the world. I'm just going to hate watching what Marte becomes.
i think you should go on and on and provide a link to prove they were number one prospects .the point is you couldnt name them without looking them up because alot of them never pan out thats the point there is nothing silly about it .you can make a list a mile long with number one prospects that are total busts .you have no idea what marte will become and your fascination with him is silly and very disturbing.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back