PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celts TRADE #5..Wally, West for Allen

FYI, we got Seattle's second round pick, #35 as well, apparently.

I guess I won't be listening to EEI tomorrow, it will be 12 hours of Ray Allen talk, WOW, what excitement. Where's Ted when you need him, that coconut head would be in his glory if he were still with the station.

I wouldn't know Ray Allen if I fell over him.

I've been hoping Danny manages to package the two 2nd rounders to move up, but doesn't look likely.

We don't really need two more early 2nd rounders. Our roster is still pretty full as it is. If Danny were to trade up into this range, it'd be right in his sweet spot of finding talent that has fallen.

Wish we had gotten 31 instead...back to back picks would've been nice.

I just hope to god that Yi Jianlian doesn't grow into a Superstar and Ray Allen doesn't turn out to be the second coming of Dominique Wilkins... Knowing this franchise, I am really skeptical right now.

Better hope that Koppenen wasn't the guy they were targetting in Round 2.
Who can we get now?
Another undersized forward to go along with Gomes and Powe?

I just hope to god that Yi Jianlian doesn't grow into a Superstar and Ray Allen doesn't turn out to be the second coming of Dominique Wilkins... Knowing this franchise, I am really skeptical right now.

I don't think this is like the Wilkins move at all. I know I sound like a C's homer or something, but Allen and Pierce will play well together...

Let's see who round 2 brings us, some good players left still.

Gabe Pruitt, PG.

Basically, best available player and or PG.

Let's hope we get a big with 35.

Last edited:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/players/37825

Strengths: Pruitt led his USC Trojan team to an outstanding tournament run this past season, showing the ability to play point guard in the process. His height and athleticism are the two most intriguing assets that he brings to the table. He has NBA 3-point range on his jumper, and has shown that he can shoot both on the move and from a standstill position. His court vision and ability to run a team have improved dramatically over his time at USC.

Weaknesses: Gabe can be too flashy at times, making it difficult for him to consistently control the tempo of the game. Everything he does seems to be at 100 miles per hour, leading him to struggle a bit in the half-court set. His shot selection surely needs to be improved. He frequently jacked up contested 3-pointers at inopportune times last season.

Outlook: Pruitt hired an agent, so he is in the draft for good. He essentially had no choice but to enter the draft because USC has the nation’s top high school prospect in 6’5 O.J. Mayo coming in next year. Pruitt should see himself drafted in the mid second round, although there have been some rumors of a possible promise in the late first round.

Big Baby Glen Davis with #35.

Big Baby Glen Davis with #35.

IMO you are seriously overrating Allen's D. Wally is possibly the worst defensive 3 in the league, so anyone would be an upgrade. I am taking a wait and see attitude on this deal, I am very happy the team retained Big Al. But to make it seem like Ray Allen is anything but a poor defensive player is stretching credulity. Love the pick @#32. Maybe we can hit lightning in a bottle with BBaby at #35.

Why would you throw up over his face?

We just got a perennial All-Star for the #5 pick and a useless vet with a terrible contract. It hurts to give up Delonte, but he wasn't going to get many minutes with Rondo taking over point anyway.

im really mixed on the trade
i dont really like guys that are jus spot shooters like ray allen and wally (rip hamilton etc), so i love gettin rid of wally, he was a waste of roster spot as someone said and a waste of mins
but still i feel like we coulda gotten more
sign and trade for rashard lewis? gerald wallace?
i lknow u cant do those til july 1, but we coulda had somethin kinda in place (not tampering right?)
i wanted to trade up for horford and then get lewis
i dunno, its not awful
but hes 32
how many yrs left on his contract btw?

People point to his drafting Al Jefferson and Gerald Green, but people forget both those guys slipped way down, and a chimp could have made those picks. I thought a deal couldn't be worse than picking up Telfair for the #7 pick last year, and now I stand corrected. Now I'm just waiting to hear they've traded Al Jefferson and the #32 pick to get Antoine Walker back again.

lol
very true
they were actually my two guys i loved in both drafts but didnt think we'd have a chance at either
and yet still im like **** ainge dont screw it up

if swift and al were avail at that spot ainge woulda taken swift lol

Actually, they will get rid of these high-priced veteran contracts. In 3 years when both Allen and Pierce's contracts expires.

Nobody has been looking at the Celtics rationally recently. I don't know if it's the Sox success with youth or the Pats success with youth, but the whole Celtic nation has become youth obsessed, forgetting that, currently, of all leagues, its the NBA that puts the highest value on experience.

How can this backfire? Delonte West, as much as I am a fan of his, is a JAG. Wally Sczerbiak is a horrendous defensive player with a streaky shot and an overpriced contract. Jeff Green could turn into a serviceable-to above average player in a few years. Ray Allen is an All-Star, one of the best shooters in the league, and a terrific defensive player.

WORST CASE SCENARIO: Pierce and Allen make a few runs at the playoffs, fail, make Boston relevant in the meanwhile. In those three years, Jefferson, Green and Rondo actually approach the age in their career in which they will be strong enough to form a nucleus on their own, and as Pierce and Allen's contract expires, not only do we have the cap space to resign our talent as it begins to approach its prime, we'll have room left over to sign some complimentary parts in free agency.

Honestly, for the "let's build around Al Jefferson" group, you do realize that you're probably 3+ years away from Jefferson even thinking about being able to carry a team.

Is Jeff Green really worth not contending in that period of time?

Let's keep some perspective.

you're right for the most part
but lets not talk bout jeff green
its yi we woulda taken

also, wally woulda been off the books in two yrs vs three
isnt al a fa after two
if so, that could hand-cuff us next offseason, since we wouldnt wanna get a fa with theos money cuz then we wouldnt be able to re-sign al

Fair enough. I agree, Allen's reputation is of an average defender, I happen to disagree quite a bit with that reputation based on what I've seen of him.

It's sort of like Pierce. You hear a lot of "his defense has declined in recent years". So much of defense revolves around how good your teammates are. I think PP is still a great defender, and we know he puts some pride in his D.

I think Rondo-Allen-Pierce-Al-Perk is a great defensive unit. It has speed and length, and will create turnovers and the uptempo basketball Ainge wants to create.

Pierce, Allen, and Jefferson are all minus defenders right now, in my opinion. Ray Allen has been mediocre at best on D throughout his career. Pierce can be an excellent defender when he wants to be, which is almost never anymore. Can't say that I've blamed him for that, with his minutes and pressure to score he couldn't play all out on both ends. Jefferson is still learning how to play D, he gets his block numbers from swiping at the ball when out of position. The only plus defenders I see on this team are Rondo and Tony Allen, if he comes back healthy. A big problem in my opinion is that Doc is such a poor coach that the young guys simply aren't learning how to play defense. Teams will run one play on the Celts over and over and Doc can't realize it and make adjustments.

lol
very true
they were actually my two guys i loved in both drafts but didnt think we'd have a chance at either
and yet still im like **** ainge dont screw it up

if swift and al were avail at that spot ainge woulda taken swift lol

They interviewed a reporter from Seattle on New England Sports Tonight at 10:00 that said Ainge was trying to get Swift for the #7 pick, Rondo, AND Delonte last year but (thankfully) Seattle didn't bite. No idea if that's true, but that's what I'm pretty sure he said, and if so, I'm actually now happy that Ainge didn't screw things up worse tonight!

Pierce, Allen, and Jefferson are all minus defenders right now, in my opinion. Ray Allen has been mediocre at best on D throughout his career. Pierce can be an excellent defender when he wants to be, which is almost never anymore. Can't say that I've blamed him for that, with his minutes and pressure to score he couldn't play all out on both ends. Jefferson is still learning how to play D, he gets his block numbers from swiping at the ball when out of position. The only plus defenders I see on this team are Rondo and Tony Allen, if he comes back healthy. A big problem in my opinion is that Doc is such a poor coach that the young guys simply aren't learning how to play defense. Teams will run one play on the Celts over and over and Doc can't realize it and make adjustments.

doc has NO idea how to make adjustments
i'd possibly add gomes to the list of plus defenders

Interestingly, the Celts still have Theo's contract to trade. Look for more moves.

they seemed more upbeat about ray allen than any c's fan

Well of course, since they were giving up less. I'm sure they would have liked to dump Kirilenko, who has been in steady decline in Utah, for Ray Allen.
The Celtics on the other hand lost the #5, West, and Wally.

I like dumping Wally... but Ray Allen's contract is even bigger. so it doesn't provide any financial relief.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back