PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics trade Kendrick Perkins to OKC; get Jeff Green

Is this the day, or do they have till Tuesday to sign a buyout? Corey Brewer's name popped up. I liked him out of college, but I guess he hasn't done much. Stay tuned.

A couple of thoughts after watching last nights Clippers game. The Clippers #1 will not be too low. I read someone had it at #7. The pick is not in this year's draft, and the Clippers are going to be pretty good. Blake Griffin's stats in his first year are better then Garnetts MVP year. The new center can shoot, and is a good free throw shooter. He's also very active on the offensive boards. This guy will be very effective coming off the bench. West is much better off the bench then Robinson. The Celtics will have three former starters on the bench.
I'm starting to like this trade. Yes, Perkins played defense, and defense wins championships. OTH, this club is deeper and can substitute without a huge dropoff. I see plenty of rest for the big 3, giving them fresh legs for the playoff run. We will be fine at center, between Shaq, Kristic, buyout guy, and Garnett.

I didn't see the Jazz game last night, but in this post you're basing too much on 1 game, imo.

Kristic is a shooter, but I'm not sure how good a rebounder he is. He was active against the Clippers, but he's never shown himself to be particularly strong on the boards. He could be effective off the bench, but Perkins was better.

We get Green, and that's an uprade over Nate (different positions, I know).

We can afford getting rid of Nate with West back, no question.

But the question is what it was from the beginning -- size in the middle. If Shaq comes back, and either Jermaine comes back or we do pick up another guy, fantastic -- love the deal. But all of those are question marks.

As for fresh legs for big 3, the trade / Green helps with Pierce and Allen, but it requires more of Garnett -- I see that as a wash at best.

If we go into the playoffs with Kristic and Shaq, we could win, but I don't think we're the favorites. Kristic and only Jermaine or neither O'Neal, we're not winning.

I didn't see the Jazz game last night, but in this post you're basing too much on 1 game, imo.

Kristic is a shooter, but I'm not sure how good a rebounder he is. He was active against the Clippers, but he's never shown himself to be particularly strong on the boards. He could be effective off the bench, but Perkins was better.

We get Green, and that's an uprade over Nate (different positions, I know).

We can afford getting rid of Nate with West back, no question.

But the question is what it was from the beginning -- size in the middle. If Shaq comes back, and either Jermaine comes back or we do pick up another guy, fantastic -- love the deal. But all of those are question marks.

As for fresh legs for big 3, the trade / Green helps with Pierce and Allen, but it requires more of Garnett -- I see that as a wash at best.

If we go into the playoffs with Kristic and Shaq, we could win, but I don't think we're the favorites. Kristic and only Jermaine or neither O'Neal, we're not winning.

No not at all, just like the other guy having a fit because the Celts lost to the Nuggets. What I saw was a center who was very active offensively. I agree that Perkins was very good defensively, but his rebound average was only slightly better then Greens.
We are about to sign Murphy, which gives us another big body at center.
There are some posters in here that believed we had #18 locked up. I totally disagree, in fact, I don't think we could have won the title with that team. We just played the Lakers, and in crunch time, who did we have guarding Kobe? Luke somebody.............That was one game, not a series of playoff teams in which Pierce is going to be going against the best against every team. More Luke please? Not happening. I like my chances with this team.

No not at all, just like the other guy having a fit because the Celts lost to the Nuggets. What I saw was a center who was very active offensively. I agree that Perkins was very good defensively, but his rebound average was only slightly better then Greens.
We are about to sign Murphy, which gives us another big body at center.
There are some posters in here that believed we had #18 locked up. I totally disagree, in fact, I don't think we could have won the title with that team. We just played the Lakers, and in crunch time, who did we have guarding Kobe? Luke somebody.............That was one game, not a series of playoff teams in which Pierce is going to be going against the best against every team. More Luke please? Not happening. I like my chances with this team.

I agree he was active, but like I said, just 1 game.

He was at 4-5 rebounds per game, Perkins 7-8. Perkins played a few more minutes per game, but that's partly b/c he's a better player.

As for the issues the team had pre-trade, you now seem to be considering health from the other perspective. The team pre-trade if not healthy wasn't going to win -- same goes for now. But the team pre-trade if it got a couple guys back would, imo and in the opinion of many other people, would have been one of, if not the, favorites.

Murphy's not really a center, more of a power forward. But if we get him, it's a good addition. He can shoot and rebound, but he's not a good defender.

I haven't given the team w/Murphy much thought, but my first reaction is that with him, if Shaq gets healthy and everybody else stays healthy, I think this team is back to being a strong contender.

I agree he was active, but like I said, just 1 game.

He was at 4-5 rebounds per game, Perkins 7-8. Perkins played a few more minutes per game, but that's partly b/c he's a better player.

As for the issues the team had pre-trade, you now seem to be considering health from the other perspective. The team pre-trade if not healthy wasn't going to win -- same goes for now. But the team pre-trade if it got a couple guys back would, imo and in the opinion of many other people, would have been one of, if not the, favorites.

Murphy's not really a center, more of a power forward. But if we get him, it's a good addition. He can shoot and rebound, but he's not a good defender.

I haven't given the team w/Murphy much thought, but my first reaction is that with him, if Shaq gets healthy and everybody else stays healthy, I think this team is back to being a strong contender.

I've been reading a lot of articles concerning the trade. Taking minutes away from Pierce is what convinces me the trade was good. There was no doubt that the Celtics had the best starting 5. The problem was that they could not sustain that caliber of play for 60 minutes. I look at the trade from a standpoint of a 8-9 man rotation versus the pre-trade rotation, and call it an upgrade. When Perkins goes to the line at the close of a game I am praying he makes the first one. I understand he brings other things to the table, but I'm not convinced that the players around him also make him look better.

I've been reading a lot of articles concerning the trade. Taking minutes away from Pierce is what convinces me the trade was good. There was no doubt that the Celtics had the best starting 5. The problem was that they could not sustain that caliber of play for 60 minutes. I look at the trade from a standpoint of a 8-9 man rotation versus the pre-trade rotation, and call it an upgrade. When Perkins goes to the line at the close of a game I am praying he makes the first one. I understand he brings other things to the table, but I'm not convinced that the players around him also make him look better.

But in the absence of Murphy (has he signed?) or another big man, the reduction in minutes for Pierce/Allen comes at the expense of more for Garnett.

But in the absence of Murphy (has he signed?) or another big man, the reduction in minutes for Pierce/Allen comes at the expense of more for Garnett.
murphy is a celtic

I really like Brewer. Evidently, the Celtics worked him out prior to his draft. He's being compared to Bruce Bowen because of his defense. I don't think he would get the playing time this year, but would be a key player for the future.

Nevermind, just signed with the Mavs.

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more I like the Celtics trades. Ainge knows the core of the team is Rondo, Pierce, Garnett and Allen. The side that won the Championship a few years ago had a dynamic bench who could defend and score. Letting House, Posey and Powe go has been a difficult concept to get over.

The second rotation simply wasn't good enough to get it done behind the Big Four. Perk sits out more than he plays these days and in reality wasn't as big a force as we'd like to think he was. The strength of the Celtics lies in the team. Moving on Robinson (who takes way to many shots as it is), Erden, Harangody etc is fine with me. These guys aren't championship calibre rotational players.

As I mentioned, I'm feeling more at ease that the Celtics are adding more quality of depth to the rotation rather than just bodies whilst planning for the future. Let's hope it works out the way we'd like.

The more I think about it the more I like the Celtics trades. Ainge knows the core of the team is Rondo, Pierce, Garnett and Allen. The side that won the Championship a few years ago had a dynamic bench who could defend and score. Letting House, Posey and Powe go has been a difficult concept to get over.

The second rotation simply wasn't good enough to get it done behind the Big Four. Perk sits out more than he plays these days and in reality wasn't as big a force as we'd like to think he was. The strength of the Celtics lies in the team. Moving on Robinson (who takes way to many shots as it is), Erden, Harangody etc is fine with me. These guys aren't championship calibre rotational players.

As I mentioned, I'm feeling more at ease that the Celtics are adding more quality of depth to the rotation rather than just bodies whilst planning for the future. Let's hope it works out the way we'd like.
Well our bench is still ****.

Right now, it's ****house. The Suns bench completely destroyed that second unit tonight.

Really???? Half of our team is hurt or has only had 3 games to play together, we are still winning games and you are complaining about our second unit already....Really???? WOW!!!!!

They did play poorly, but I'll cut them some slack. Healthy, this is our second unit for the playoffs: Krstic, Green, West, Big Baby and Murphy. All could start, or have started for an NBA team.

Really???? Half of our team is hurt or has only had 3 games to play together, we are still winning games and you are complaining about our second unit already....Really???? WOW!!!!!
I think you need to have a proper read of people's opinions through the entirety of a thread before getting on your high horse country bumpkin.

Last edited:
What really chaps my ..........backside, is when someone goes on a rant after a trade or a loss and totally flames the coach, player, or GM. Anyone that logs on after the season ending loss to the Jets knows what I'm talking about. In here, Ainge makes a trade which is huge. He is a gambler, no doubt. Then, fans who evidently know more about basketball then Ainge, light him up with profanity. Here comes the best part...........when success comes to the team, all is forgotten. No apologies needed, bye gones be bye gones, there are no reputations harmed when posting, elephants live in the wild, not on-line. Oh yea, when those posters also trash anyone who disagrees with their opinions, that is not forgotten.

What really chaps my ..........backside, is when someone goes on a rant after a trade or a loss and totally flames the coach, player, or GM. Anyone that logs on after the season ending loss to the Jets knows what I'm talking about. In here, Ainge makes a trade which is huge. He is a gambler, no doubt. Then, fans who evidently know more about basketball then Ainge, light him up with profanity. Here comes the best part...........when success comes to the team, all is forgotten. No apologies needed, bye gones be bye gones, there are no reputations harmed when posting, elephants live in the wild, not on-line. Oh yea, when those posters also trash anyone who disagrees with their opinions, that is not forgotten.
I think the outcome of the trade will be a good one. It still doesn't change the fact that we've had serious bench problems since the last title was won. To much is left to the future HOF starters to do.

Let's hope the second and third units can gel quickly.

Its been about a week or so since the trade... and I still don't understand it

Its been about a week or so since the trade... and I still don't understand it

I've read countless articles on the trade. After the shock wore off, people realized why it was done, including serious basketball fans, writers. This was a good trade. Green runs like a deer and can give rest to the frontline. Bottom line without going anyfurther, the Celtics were not winning a championship without some powerful bench strength. Perkins was not healthy, nor has he even played a game yet (after the trade). Give the second unit time to adjust and this team will be better then the pre-trade team.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back