PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics Free Agency & Summer League

Been hearing rumblings over at a Celtics board from a fairly respected insider suggesting that there are talks of a three team trade for the C's to land Westbrook & Griffin.

Been hearing rumblings over at a Celtics board from a fairly respected insider suggesting that there are talks of a three team trade for the C's to land Westbrook & Griffin.
Not happening for good reasons - at least I am hopeful it is not happening.
I do not trust that he is healthy and/or that he would stay here.
I'd rather see the Celtics go after Nerlens Noel ... not Griffen but much safer IMO.

Last edited:
It sure sounded to me in the run up to the draft that Philly wanted to dump Okafor and the Cs wanted Noel and that was the sticking point.
That's not what espn was reporting throughout the run-up to the Cs' pick at #3.
Danny could have had Noel, SF Robert Covington, and #s 24 & 26 for #3…and he blew it.

Danny could have had Noel, SF Robert Covington, and #s 24 & 26 for #3…and he blew it.
If by blew it, you mean he didn't feel Noel plus a bunch of useless garbage wasn't worth #3 than you.

Anyway, what I meant was that my my understanding of things is that Philly was/is more anxious/willing to move Okafor than they are Noel. I could be wrong, but note that all the latest rumors involving them still revolve around Okafor.

I only saw some youtube bits of the summer league. Overall good things to take away despite the record in Vegas.

Brown has amazing athleticism and I think his attitude fits in very well with where the team is going.

Rozier built up his value especially after what we saw at the end of last season. He looks to be an improving rotation player on our team or another.

The dancing bear is a player you just naturally root for and he looks like he could be a contributor in the future.

Nader seems to be the surprise of the summer.

Hunter-did he get any stronger?

Young, Jackson and Bentil did not show much.

Don't want Westbrook much because he would replace IT and right now IT is the heart of the Celtics. Of course IT is going to make the comment about the Brinks Truck-look at his salary relative to what players got this year. Seems like the cost/risk of signing Westbrook relative to the gain over IT is not a win.

Griffin I think could fit better, but his injury sounds worrisome.

Still think Okafor is the best match because of where he fits on the team and the cost. Rozier plus Philly's pic of 2 of the following: Hunter, Young, Jackson, Bentil, Nader plus our 2018 pick (not the Nets) should shake him free. Philly could sell it to their fans that they got 4 1st round picks in exchange if they take Hunter and Young and roster wise an Okafor for Rozier trade is a win for them. I think the potential is there for Okafor to be a starter on a championship team. For the Celtics that is likely 3 or 4 years away and Okafor would fit into that developmental plan. Between the locker room, coaching and management this is the best place for Okafor to develop and I am sure his agent knows that. Loosing Rozier would hurt as I think he has game, but it is a place of depth on the team. The rest of the pieces in the trade carry little value.

My guess is all the smoke around Griffin and Westbrook is to just push Philly to get the deal done.

espn reported? LOLOL are you kidding me? you need to watch the local sports coverage. if you rely on espn for boston sports news you are lost.

Last edited:
Living in Hershey, I didn't have the advantage of watching the Boston coverage of the draft, and because the 4-letter network was broadcasting it, that's what I watched;
and they were claiming that Philly's last offer for #3 was Noel + the others, right up until the Brown pick was made.

If folks in MA were hearing that Philly's last offer was different, then please enlighten me.

Living in Hershey, I didn't have the advantage of watching the Boston coverage of the draft, and because the 4-letter network was broadcasting it, that's what I watched;
and they were claiming that Philly's last offer for #3 was Noel + the others, right up until the Brown pick was made.

If folks in MA were hearing that Philly's last offer was different, then please enlighten me.
save this link.
Homepage espn is useless.

That link, whatever it was, completely shut down my iPhone when I clicked it.

Anyway, I just wanted to give my thumbs-up to the Zeller re-signing, and initially to the Gerald Green signing, though I was listening to Johnson & Flynn on 98.5 (yes its signal does make it here, barely) and they mentioned his incident last season that resulted in his suspension for 2 games, by his own team. Seems that he & Chandler Jones must have bought the same psycho synthetic weed. Now my enthusiasm for that signing is tempered, but they are desperate for outside shooting.

And my prediction that Jaylen Brown is a Bust still stands.

Upon further consideration, I am not happy with the Gerald Green signing, not only because of the psycho synth weed incident, but also because he simply is not a good shooter: <33% from 3-point range last season, <40% overall.
There had to be somebody else better than him available for close to the same price.

Upon further consideration, I am not happy with the Gerald Green signing, not only because of the psycho synth weed incident, but also because he simply is not a good shooter: <33% from 3-point range last season, <40% overall.
There had to be somebody else better than him available for close to the same price.
He had a bad second half last season. He was good the first half, and he'd been good for a few seasons before that. Is IS a 36+ percent career 3pt shooter. If he reverts to form, it's a good signing, if not, dump him and nothing loss. He's only getting 1.5m, vet minimum.

got news for you stone. shooting 40 percent from the 3pt line is excellent. when it comes to the nba and the Celtics you are lost. you can't evaluate the NBA[GMs ect] the same way you evaluate the other three major sports. its like comparing apples and oranges. the green signing is only for a year chill. try this site csnne.com it might help you. its local coverage.

Last edited:
Nice to see Jackson get a 4 year contract ... the kid looked decent in the summer league.
That was hard to do as Rozier pretty much dominated the minutes - when he had a chance Jackson played hard.

He has a ways to go but it's nice to have some depth for next year and beyond ... the kid is quick and smart.
He needs more muscle and the word is he needs to learn to go in different directions but he has talent.

The kid played better than 3rd year Young and 2nd year Marcus Thornton ... and it wasn't even close.
The Red Claw fans will enjoy watching him grow into an NBA player.

got news for you stone. shooting 40 percent from the 3pt line is excellent. when it comes to the nba and the Celtics you are lost. you can't evaluate the NBA[GMs ect] the same way you evaluate the other three major sports. its like comparing apples and oranges. the green signing is only for a year chill. try this site csnne.com it might help you. its local coverage.
Green shot 40% from 3-point range 2 seasons ago, then 35.4%, then 32.3% last season.

His overall shooting % was 44.5 2 seasons ago, then 41.6, then 39.2 last season.

And don't ask how he "performed" in the POs last season; you don't want to know.

Notice a trend here? I do, and it's not a good one.

Green shot 40% from 3-point range 2 seasons ago, then 35.4%, then 32.3% last season.

His overall shooting % was 44.5 2 seasons ago, then 41.6, then 39.2 last season.

And don't ask how he "performed" in the POs last season; you don't want to know.

Notice a trend here? I do, and it's not a good one.
considering its only a one year deal who gives a sh-t other than you? hes a good shooter for the contract he was given the vet minimum.

Again, a one year vet minimum deal. If he reverts to form, it's a steal, if he doesn't no big deal, cut him and move on.

Every day I seen a newly proposed deal for Jerlens-Noel to the Celtics, some days it is a three way deal other days it is straight up.. function of the bored, idle press?? What crap can we make up today..

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back