Celtics 2022-23

Boston Boxer

U.S. Air Force Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Draft is this week...we don't have a pick until round 2. Just saw where Beal told his agent that Boston is his top destination this coming off season. That would make Tatum happy but we already have Brown at SG and really need a point guard. Any interesting theories in how they get this to work and land Beal? I assume in such a scenario, Brown would need to be traded as well as maybe Smart.

Looks like a lot of media idiots are wanting the Celtics to trade for 33 year old Kevin Durant. One proposal I saw was Smart, White, Horford and Pritchard plus 2 first rounders. Lou Merloni's deal was 3 1st rounders and Smart.

Looks like a lot of media idiots are wanting the Celtics to trade for 33 year old Kevin Durant. One proposal I saw was Smart, White, Horford and Pritchard plus 2 first rounders. Lou Merloni's deal was 3 1st rounders and Smart.

Lou was talking out of his ass so much today that I had to change the station.

Durant doesn't make sense when we have Tatum and Brown. I like the addition of the PG from Alabama. Cant shoot very well but is athletic and I don't expect much from a 2nd rd. pick. I keep going back to the Rondo comparison for a PG...just need someone athletic that has a pass first mentality or that can drive to the basket for an easy bucket or a dish. That is what this team needs out of the PG.

Durant doesn't make sense when we have Tatum and Brown. I like the addition of the PG from Alabama. Cant shoot very well but is athletic and I don't expect much from a 2nd rd. pick. I keep going back to the Rondo comparison for a PG...just need someone athletic that has a pass first mentality or that can drive to the basket for an easy bucket or a dish. That is what this team needs out of the PG.

Smart + 23 & 24 1st for Lamelo ??

*edit*

Last edited:
Why do people want to trade Smart? Tatum was 100% the problem in the Finals.

Why do people want to trade Smart? Tatum was 100% the problem in the Finals.
Agreed and tbh I love Smart. Was a big fan coming out. And I think he's a really good player. At times he's too much though. He's a coach in the huddle, takes too many threes at like 31% i think. I have my problems with JT and Brown but I think a kid like Lamelo would be just what we need. He's a good defensive player and a real distributor. He'll give you 17/18 pg. Just think I player like that would help everyone's games and I don't see a drop off from Smart.

I'm staying pat unless it's a clear "we get better" move. This team has a great group. It's extremely tough to win in the NBA. You need multiple top 10/25 players and we have that. Just made a big coaching change. I'm willing to wait another year or at least until February and see where we are.

Agreed and tbh I love Smart. Was a big fan coming out. And I think he's a really good player. At times he's too much though. He's a coach in the huddle, takes too many threes at like 31% i think. I have my problems with JT and Brown but I think a kid like Lamelo would be just what we need. He's a good defensive player and a real distributor. He'll give you 17/18 pg. Just think I player like that would help everyone's games and I don't see a drop off from Smart.

I'm staying pat unless it's a clear "we get better" move. This team has a great group. It's extremely tough to win in the NBA. You need multiple top 10/25 players and we have that. Just made a big coaching change. I'm willing to wait another year or at least until February and see where we are.
Pretty much agree with all of this. Considering how bad Tatum was in the finals, it's def not the worst thing to just run it back again. Even with him laying an egg, they were 2 games away.

On the flip side, they had a bit of luck on their side. Middleton's not hurt they don't make it out of the 2nd round. And their half-court offense a lot of times was just bad. So while you gotta love Smart, it wouldn't kill me to part ways if the right offer was on the table.

Pretty much agree with all of this. Considering how bad Tatum was in the finals, it's def not the worst thing to just run it back again. Even with him laying an egg, they were 2 games away.

On the flip side, they had a bit of luck on their side. Middleton's not hurt they don't make it out of the 2nd round. And their half-court offense a lot of times was just bad. So while you gotta love Smart, it wouldn't kill me to part ways if the right offer was on the table.
Agreed. This year the path really was set up for them in regards to multiple other teams.

Again I'm a Smart fan but if a deal came along like above I'd probably do. Downgrade defensively but Ball is a good young defender plenty of room to grow. Plus say what you want about him but the kid can dish it out. He averaged like 8 assist in Charlotte.

Either way we could be in worse shape.

The biggest problem with Marcus is his turnovers. He cost us at least one,maybe two games in the finals with horrible passes that went for breakaway dunks late in 4th qtr of a close game. Tatum might have had more,but Smart's were the worst and really hurt the team.
His shot selection still needs work. I love all the rest he brings to the table. But if they can get a legit playmaking ball handling pg who can play some D and not be a huge mismatch on switches,that would go a long way. And one more wing or big who has reliable offense.
This team doesn't need wholesale changes. Just a few key moves. Middleton will be back. You know Riley will do something to improve the Heat.
It won't get any easier next year.

The biggest problem with Marcus is his turnovers. He cost us at least one,maybe two games in the finals with horrible passes that went for breakaway dunks late in 4th qtr of a close game. Tatum might have had more,but Smart's were the worst and really hurt the team.
His shot selection still needs work. I love all the rest he brings to the table. But if they can get a legit playmaking ball handling pg who can play some D and not be a huge mismatch on switches,that would go a long way. And one more wing or big who has reliable offense.
This team doesn't need wholesale changes. Just a few key moves. Middleton will be back. You know Riley will do something to improve the Heat.
It won't get any easier next year.
Agreed. He's a very good player but there's definitely an upgrade there. I could only see Ball excelling here but I'm happy to run it back with what we have.

As for the second yea this year was really set up for them. I like our chances if we actually get some of the more obvious improvements to our big dogs. But yea the East was there for the taken and GSW was absolutely beatable.

It's tough there's a few decent teams in the conference and the West will always produce one or two squads that are more than worthy.

Very curious to see what Riley does. Like you said you know he's trying to cook up something.

Very curious to see what Riley does. Like you said you know he's trying to cook up something.

It will be interesting to see if Brad Stevens works out as a better GM than Ainge. So far the Horford, White, and Theis to a much lesser extent, trades were solid moves Ainge never seemed to make. We lost a couple of 1st round picks, but we do not need any more rookies. Stevens versus Riley - fun to watch.

Clearly Horford will not be any younger, and we need someone better than Theis. I have no idea how to deal with the Smart situation. Also I have no idea how to get Brown and Tatum to stop dribbling into the middle when the opposition collapses into the paint. Really need a couple of 3 point shooters, but that could be Pritchard and Nesmith if they could rise to the moment, both are capable shooters but can not deal with the pressure.

It will be interesting to see if Brad Stevens works out as a better GM than Ainge. So far the Horford, White, and Theis to a much lesser extent, trades were solid moves Ainge never seemed to make. We lost a couple of 1st round picks, but we do not need any more rookies. Stevens versus Riley - fun to watch.
I'm a big Stevens fan. I think he'll do well. That is a fun watch though.
Clearly Horford will not be any younger, and we need someone better than Theis. I have no idea how to deal with the Smart situation. Also I have no idea how to get Brown and Tatum to stop dribbling into the middle when the opposition collapses into the paint. Really need a couple of 3 point shooters, but that could be Pritchard and Nesmith if they could rise to the moment, both are capable shooters but can not deal with the pressure.
Yea the TOs drove you crazy. That's been happening for years now and really has to end. Both J's need to work on their handles especially JT. Brown is more of slasher and JT figures to have the ball in his more.

Big fan of PP & AN really hope we can get a guy who can give 10-12 points off a few shots and both have potential there.

It's frustrating bc we're obviously not far at all. It really comes down to the J's taking one more step. I mean JB is right on that top 15-25 line depending on how hard you are on him. We're so close.

Big fan of PP & AN really hope we can get a guy who can give 10-12 points off a few shots and both have potential there.

We're so close.

I think we need a plan in case Horford declines. Also we need another scorer. Smart, White, and Williams III are all defense. G Williams and Horford are not scorers. Udoka put Pritchard and Tatum in a pick and roll in game 6, and Pritchard had great looks but threw bricks. The spotlight was too much for him. If Tatum and Brown could kick out to Pritchard and Nesmith everything would change. None of the other guys will ever hit threes consistently enough. I thought G Williams might hit the threes but he faded as well. I think we need more than 10 - 12 points per game, closer to 16 out of Pritchard plus Nesmith, or another.

I think we need a plan in case Horford declines. Also we need another scorer. Smart, White, and Williams III are all defense. G Williams and Horford are not scorers. Udoka put Pritchard and Tatum in a pick and roll in game 6, and Pritchard had great looks but threw bricks. The spotlight was too much for him. If Tatum and Brown could kick out to Pritchard and Nesmith everything would change. None of the other guys will ever hit threes consistently enough. I thought G Williams might hit the threes but he faded as well. I think we need more than 10 - 12 points per game, closer to 16 out of Pritchard plus Nesmith, or another.
The moment seemed to big for Pritchard and Grant W but doesn’t mean it will always be hopefully

If R Williams works on his post moves, incorporates that little 10+ footer, he could be counted on for more scoring

The moment seemed to big for Pritchard and Grant W but doesn’t mean it will always be hopefully

If R Williams works on his post moves, incorporates that little 10+ footer, he could be counted on for more scoring

Agreed but we need the "drive and kick out" offense. Defenses can not stop Brown or Tatum when they drive, so the opposition collapses into the paint leaving the 3 point line undefended. When someone like Grant or Al went crazy shooting 3s we won. Need that consistent threat. Pritchard and Nesmith are pure shooters that are not mature enough to play in big games. We will see. Hope they mature.

I guess I'd echo what @aluminum seats wrote below but definitely hear you're point. I'm a fan of both PP & Grant tbh along with Rob. I think it was too big for PP but G Williams just ran out of gas mentally and physically. He had some big games for us. It happens especially with young guys but I get your point. Hopefully Big Rob can stay healthy bc he's got legit top 30 potential if he can give you 12 a night with that defense and off rebounding.

I like the Davison pick, in a vacuum... Athletic, finishes above the rim, good rebounder for his position, 3-point shot not good yet but not hopeless either... But with such a huge, Huge need for big, Big players, I don't know if I wouldn't have taken one of the available PFs like Justin Lewis or Mike Foster, or a Center like Yannick the Kaiser Nzosa or Purdue's Trevion Williams, who's a legit Hoss...

I also wish that The Brad had given Orlando a call earlier that day about pick #35; he could've used it on Ohio State's EJ Liddell, who's a better & definitely more athletic version of Grant Williams & Jared Sullinger...Dude can play above the rim far more often than those two cement-foots ever dreamed of doing... Happy at least that the Fakers didn't get him with that pick...

I like the Davison pick, in a vacuum... Athletic, finishes above the rim, good rebounder for his position, 3-point shot not good yet but not hopeless either... But with such a huge, Huge need for big, Big players, I don't know if I wouldn't have taken one of the available PFs like Justin Lewis or Mike Foster, or a Center like Yannick the Kaiser Nzosa or Purdue's Trevion Williams, who's a legit Hoss...

I also wish that The Brad had given Orlando a call earlier that day about pick #35; he could've used it on Ohio State's EJ Liddell, who's a better & definitely more athletic version of Grant Williams & Jared Sullinger...Dude can play above the rim far more often than those two cement-foots ever dreamed of doing... Happy at least that the Fakers didn't get him with that pick...

The Celtics signed Trevion Williams. Captain, you are slipping. You were right that the Celtics should sign him, since they already did. Haha. It is a ***** getting old :whistle:

The Celtics signed Trevion Williams. Captain, you are slipping. You were right that the Celtics should sign him, since they already did. Haha. It is a ***** getting old :whistle:

Egg-cellent... I was away for the weekend at Ocean City MD, left on Friday morning and arrived home yesterday evening, so I hadn't yet heard about UDFA signings or summer league rosters etc... So far so good...

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back