PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cautiously Optimistic

Nah, f being cautious. Time to go all in! We’re the Patriots and we win championships. I’m behind this team with no excuses or caution. Let’s win. Let’s dominate. The dynasty is still on!
The Tom Brady Dynasty of the GOAT is dead.
The Mac Jones Dynasty of the Phoenix has risen from the ashes.
Long may the Patriots’ dynasties prosper!

Cautious is good. Optimistic is good. Mac is good. I keep saying... see me 12/26 at 4:30pm and then we will know for certain where we are at.

The Pats D-line in 2019:
DT/DE : Guy, Butler, Cowart (r), Shelton, , Michael Bennett, Wise
EDGE: Winovich (r), Simon, Calhoun, Van Noy,

Pats D-line in 2021:
DT: Guy, Barmore (r), Godchaux, Davis, Ekuale, Tashon, Bower, Wise, Anderson
EDGE: Winovich, Uche, Van Noy, Judon

The Pats have better talent with Barmore, Godchaux, Davis than they did with Butler, Cowart and Shelton. Also, their edge is light years difference with Judon and Uche as clear upgrades over Calhoun and Simon.
Agreed, Just to be clear- I said "better than" not "better in" 2019

The problem with these threads is that, if the defense dominates a bad offense then the narrative is "Meh that offense sucked so it's not that impressive." If they play mediocre then it's a huge red flag. A lot of teams (not just the Pats) get good showings dismissed because of the opponent. As if the only way your defense can be good is if you play the top 5 offenses 3 times a year and then perform at a high level. It's really a no-win situation.

This team played a road Thursday night game and came away with a 25-0 victory. Take the win, be impressed, and move on. Baltimore's offense just laid an egg in the exact same situation a week ago versus a worse (or equally bad) team and the Ravens came away with a loss. These games are hard
The real problem is that it becomes a game of telephone where the initial post gets exaggerated to imply what it tries to avoid implying. I by no means dismissed anything, and am on the record as a staunch believer in this team when they were 2-4. I remain optimistic, but feel like we may be getting ahead of ourselves. It’s kind of funny, because the same people who were crying about the defense not stopping Miami and New Orleans are now the ones complaining that I said while I am happy, we should maybe look at the competition and stay grounded.I actually prefer the defensive effort in the Tampa game to sacking a helpless Matt Ryan multiple times.

The problem with these threads is that, if the defense dominates a bad offense then the narrative is "Meh that offense sucked so it's not that impressive." If they play mediocre then it's a huge red flag. A lot of teams (not just the Pats) get good showings dismissed because of the opponent. As if the only way your defense can be good is if you play the top 5 offenses 3 times a year and then perform at a high level. It's really a no-win situation.

This team played a road Thursday night game and came away with a 25-0 victory. Take the win, be impressed, and move on. Baltimore's offense just laid an egg in the exact same situation a week ago versus a worse (or equally bad) team and the Ravens came away with a loss. These games are hard
Cautious is good. Optimistic is good. Mac is good. I keep saying... see me 12/26 at 4:30pm and then we will know for certain where we are at.
Finally someone with reading comprehension skills

The real problem is that it becomes a game of telephone where the initial post gets exaggerated to imply what it tries to avoid implying. I by no means dismissed anything, and am on the record as a staunch believer in this team when they were 2-4. I remain optimistic, but feel like we may be getting ahead of ourselves. It’s kind of funny, because the same people who were crying about the defense not stopping Miami and New Orleans are now the ones complaining that I said while I am happy, we should maybe look at the competition and stay grounded.I actually prefer the defensive effort in the Tampa game to sacking a helpless Matt Ryan multiple times.
Yeah unfortunately for you, forums aren't a one-to-one conversation medium. Multiple people chime in, and so some replies (like mine) aren't directed squarely at the OP but maybe some other posters in the thread or just a general premise

Yeah unfortunately for you, forums aren't a one-to-one conversation medium. Multiple people chime in, and so some replies (like mine) aren't directed squarely at the OP but maybe some other posters in the thread or just a general premise
Understood, wasn’t calling you out. Just felt like responding cause I agree with your “enjoy the ride” spirit, which I have honestly felt since day one!

Feb. 13, 2022, about I'masay 9:00 pm?

Caution applies until it doesn't :D

Feb. 13, 2022, about I'masay 9:00 pm?

Caution applies until it doesn't :D
They get that far I'll be like
Happy Pumped Up GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

Understood, wasn’t calling you out. Just felt like responding cause I agree with your “enjoy the ride” spirit, which I have honestly felt since day one!
i gotchu homie

this team is 7-4 with 6 left. the floor is 9-8 and, realistically, the ceiling is 11-6. both outcomes SHOULD get them in the playoff, although 9-8 would likely require some help. the 2021 Patriots seem to have some of "it", whereas the 2019 team had none of "it".... don't forget the quarterback looked like a kid who lost his puppy after many of those wins in 2019

I like "cautiously optimistic" but would add "enjoying the crap out of it." Especially the shivers it sends across the League.

And if something absurd happens like they win a title with a rookie QB, and Herr Godell has to stand on the platform while Belichick and company pass another trophy around, it would be one of the greatest feelings of schadenfreude in history.

this team is 7-4 with 6 left. the floor is 9-8 and, realistically, the ceiling is 11-6. both outcomes SHOULD get them in the playoff, although 9-8 would likely require some help. the 2021 Patriots seem to have some of "it", whereas the 2019 team had none of "it".... don't forget the quarterback looked like a kid who lost his puppy after many of those wins in 2019
Realistically, the ceiling for this team is 13-4. The very floor is 7-10. (your 9-8 applies 2-4 to the bottom of the "realistic" range and 11-6 applies 4-2 to the top.)

Our outlooks probably agree more than our phrasing. But the key here is that there is no team that should scare this NE team. If anything, those opponents have been watching and thinking "oh sh**." You don't want us on your schedule right now.

So even though I agree it's unlikely, I can realisitically - right now - imagine that it's the end of the season, and this team's won out. Of course, we've seen it before, so I can casually imagine that. (What a luxury not to be a JETE fan). It's harder to imagine that it's the end of the season and this team went 0-6.

A year ago the Pats were pretty much eliminated losing in Houston and the future looked really bleak.

What a difference a year makes…

we had a quartback who had several games where he didnt even throw for 100 yards. and 5 td's up through game 16. yikes. seems like so long ago. but also such a painful season to watch

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back