PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cautiously Optimistic

Marko

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
While I am thrilled with the defense so far, I remain optimistic but a tad skeptical at their level of dominance. These last 5 games has a very similar feeling to the Boogie Men of 2019. In the last 5 games we have beaten up on some horrid offenses, including the Falcons, the Jets, the Panthers, and Browns without Nick Chubb. The only decent offense being the Chargers. Hope we can maintain this streak when we play better offenses!

I agree - I don't want to get too excited until they step up in weight class which they're about to do. But it feels like they can handle physical play much better than that one could. That team didn't really like getting punched in the mouth but this team likes doing the punching.

While I am thrilled with the defense so far, I remain optimistic but a tad skeptical at their level of dominance. These last 5 games has a very similar feeling to the Boogie Men of 2019. In the last 5 games we have beaten up on some horrid offenses, including the Falcons, the Jets, the Panthers, and Browns without Nick Chubb. The only decent offense being the Chargers. Hope we can maintain this streak when we play better offenses!
I think the D Line is much better than 2019

All things look good. If only Mac cand the passing offense can get into a slightly better rhythm similar to what we saw in Cleveland on a consistent basis. We came with a win in TNf in an away game that is huge. But just need to punch above their weight in titans game.

We have a very good D but its unrealistic for it to perform at this level going forward. It's beaten up on a Cleveland team missing some stars and with a banged up (and bad) QB; similar with Atlanta - missing a few big pieces. That said, the D is going to put us in position to win every game if we can be competent on offense. We just need to be a bit more efficient.

We already stepped up in weight class when we played the Saints, Bucs, and Cowboys. We lost all of those games but at least hung with the Bucs and Cowboys. The defense is for real. Guys are flying all over the place and being physical. They look cohesive. I imagine other team's offense are not enjoying playing our defense. The massive question is whether our offense can execute the critical drives you need to beat good teams.

Indeed the next 5 weeks will be illuminating in figuring out whether we are a team destined to be bounced in the wild card or have a shot at making the big dance.

There are numerous differences between the "Boogeymen" and this year's defense. The BIGGEST being timing and attitude. With the Boogeymen, they started falling apart after the 8th game of the season. One of the reasons the Boogeymen fell apart is that guys like Collins and Van Noy were free-lancing too much. The attitude of the 2021 Defense, of this TEAM, is night and day compared to 2019. As has been mentioned, they don't just celebrate their own accomplishments, but they are celebrating the Offenses accomplishments as well. This defense is still gelling and getting better despite the injury adversity. Something that didn't happen in 2019.

Up until the last 3 game, Van Noy had been playing himself off the team. He'd been free-lancing, getting burned, and it was costing the team. Particularly against Dallas and San Diego. The last 3 games, Van Noy has stuck to his assignments and it's paid off BIG for him and the team.

This Pats team has Barmore, Phillips, and Dugger. Barmore is the best interior D-Linemen the Pats have had since Vince Wilfork was taking snaps for this team and he's only going to get better. Phillips and Dugger bring a versatility and attitude that the defense didn't have in 2019.

Also, your assessment of the offenses the Patriots have faced during this stretch leaves something to be desired. You're forgetting that the Jets upset the Titans. The Browns didn't have Chubb when they beat Denver. And that Carolina team beat the Saints team that handled us.

The problem with these threads is that, if the defense dominates a bad offense then the narrative is "Meh that offense sucked so it's not that impressive." If they play mediocre then it's a huge red flag. A lot of teams (not just the Pats) get good showings dismissed because of the opponent. As if the only way your defense can be good is if you play the top 5 offenses 3 times a year and then perform at a high level. It's really a no-win situation.

This team played a road Thursday night game and came away with a 25-0 victory. Take the win, be impressed, and move on. Baltimore's offense just laid an egg in the exact same situation a week ago versus a worse (or equally bad) team and the Ravens came away with a loss. These games are hard

I think the D Line is much better than 2019

The Pats D-line in 2019:
DT/DE : Guy, Butler, Cowart (r), Shelton, , Michael Bennett, Wise
EDGE: Winovich (r), Simon, Calhoun, Van Noy,

Pats D-line in 2021:
DT: Guy, Barmore (r), Godchaux, Davis, Ekuale, Tashon, Bower, Wise, Anderson
EDGE: Winovich, Uche, Van Noy, Judon

The Pats have better talent with Barmore, Godchaux, Davis than they did with Butler, Cowart and Shelton. Also, their edge is light years difference with Judon and Uche as clear upgrades over Calhoun and Simon.

I think the Titans game will be a huge litmus test for us. We manage to take that one and I think the Superbowl becomes a very real possibility.
With Henry out, their running game has been anemic averaging 2.7 (53/143 last 2 games) ypc..... If the PAts can force them to be one dimensional, I like their odds even more....

I think the Titans game will be a huge litmus test for us. We manage to take that one and I think the Superbowl becomes a very real possibility.
It was for the Jets.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you wrote, s.h.itmus test.

Can we just blanket-absolve fans for getting giddy about a team that looks really good, just shut out one team, and has won its last five games by an average of 25?

I agree... it is sometimes frustrating to see penalties, to see drives stalled... but between the outstanding D and the very, very nice running back situation (Okay, okay, add 1 more warm body if you want, but I like what I see from Thunder & Lightning & Thunder & Lightning)... plus, Mac's development past any expectations of a rookie... We're not the SB favorite but it is not stupid to dream. Whoda thunk!

Theyve played with everyone on the schedule, including dallas and tampa when we weren’t playing nearly as good. I think we need to show alot more consistency on offense but this team is for real, they’ve been proving it all year.

The Patriots have done a much better job in coverage.

also, being as good as the boogey men would be a good thing. They had the #1 defense and only gave up more than 20 points 4 times and with a competent offense NE might have made the SB.

That being said, I think the Bills defense is a better comparison for the boogeymen. They haven't played really anyone. The Patriots faced the #5 DVOA offense before that game, shut them down, Herbert and Darnold played well with McCaffrey at the beginning of the year.

Now come the Titans, Bills Colts. Are these really significantly better offenses than we have seen? None rank in the DVOA top 10.

The boogie men in 2019 didn't fall off, their offense got worse and worse after Brady got hurt. That defense was built to defend the pass, built to defense against Kansas City. When our offense couldn't score or play with a lead anymore the defense was at a disadvantage. Look at the scoring totals week by week, it was the offense that fell apart at the end of the season not the defense. This 2021 defense is more balanced, can defend the run as well as the pass.

Nah, f being cautious. Time to go all in! We’re the Patriots and we win championships. I’m behind this team with no excuses or caution. Let’s win. Let’s dominate. The dynasty is still on! 1637345926499.jpeg

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back